PDA

View Full Version : Druid Alignment

Kruploy
2019-11-24, 05:35 PM
I know you have to be Neutral in some way to get more Druid levels but once you have them, what happens if you change?

Do you lose your Druid abilities if you suddenly shift from say Lawful Neutral to Lawful Good/Evil? I know you can't get more Druid levels but nowhere it says you lose your abilities too.

Same applies to Blackguards actually. What happens if you have a change of heart and turn Neutral or even Good? Do you still get to keep stuff like Aura of Despair? Would be cool if you did.

Personally, I've never heard of fallen Druids or Blackguards lol.

Palanan
2019-11-24, 05:39 PM
It's on p. 37 of the 3.5 PHB. Paragraph on ex-druids, starts at the bottom of the left-hand column, continues at the top of the right-hand column.

It specifically states that druids who change to a prohibited alignment lose access to all spells, druid abilities and the animal companion until an atonement spell is cast.

Buufreak
2019-11-24, 05:40 PM
Personally, I've never heard of fallen Druids or Blackguards lol.

The blighter says hi.

Then for the main point, you should read the part of the druid class listed as ex-druids. It goes something like...

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

Kruploy
2019-11-24, 05:56 PM
Ouch. That's harsh.
Gotta try hard not to be good I guess.
What about Blackguards?
Are they allowed to stop being evil?

Luccan
2019-11-24, 07:11 PM
Ouch. That's harsh.
What about Blackguards?

You can be good, just have to do it neutrally
Honestly the restrictions are a little weird when you look at it, but the idea is that druids aren't 'extreme' about alignment. Not that that makes any sense when you look at Modrons or Slaads, but basically you're not bothered by at least one axis of the alignment spectrum, so long as it doesn't harm the natural world.

I know if you stop qualifying for a PRC you can no longer advance as one, I'm not sure if you lose the abilities.

Palanan
2019-11-25, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Kruploy

Nothing is preventing you from being good. Neutral good satisfies the alignment requirement while still allowing for acts of mercy, kindness and noble deeds—but without the stifling rigidity, and worse, artificiality of a lawful good approach.

Originally Posted by Kruploy
What about Blackguards?

There’s nothing in the 3.5 DMG, at least that I can find, which allows for a fallen blackguard; probably this was mainly intended for villainous NPCs. The Book of Exalted Deeds has rules for redeeming evil individuals, which could be applied to a blackguard, but that’s very much in DM-fiat territory.

Pathfinder’s version of the blackguard, the antipaladin, does specify a code of conduct and penalties for committing acts of altruism, which are very similar to those imposed on ex-druids. In Pathfinder, an antipaladin who “stops being evil” will lose all spells and class features, except for proficiencies. Like the druid, the antipaladin can be restored to grace (so to speak) with an atonement spell.

Particle_Man
2019-11-25, 10:09 PM
Interesting counter to the incarnate. The Druid has to have neutral component for a balanced perspective. The incarnate must have one and only one of lawful, good, chaotic or evil for alignment purity of focus. Both have to avoid the diagonal alignments.

weckar
2019-11-25, 10:16 PM
It forces some multiclasses into some very specific alignments, unfortunately.