PDA

View Full Version : Magical lenses make swapping easy!

Frosty
2007-10-19, 11:19 AM
I just got a great idea. You know how with eye glasses you can get one of those contraptions where there is a pair of sun-blocking lenses than you can flip up and down as you like so you can have both regular and sun-blocking all in one frame?

Why not do that with magical items too? It'd be more expensive, but you can have a pair of magical frames that can support up to two different sets of magical lenses at a time, and switching between the two could be a Swift action (or even part of a Move action like how you can draw your sword as you move). Double your options while halving the time of switching!

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-19, 11:26 AM
Well I'd think that when you flip them down you'd be looking through both lenses at once. Wouldn't that count as trying to wear both at once? Unless the glasses were specifically magical and allowed that and you made the clip separately. But in that case, it might wind up being just as cheep to just make a set of eyepieces that had all of the effects you wanted on it.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-19, 11:28 AM
Well I'd think that when you flip them down you'd be looking through both lenses at once. Wouldn't that count as trying to wear both at once?

Yes.

However, swapping lenses as a move action shouldn't be a problem with some kind of contraption.

Question is what you are doing with so many lenses to begin with :smallbiggrin:

Indon
2007-10-19, 11:28 AM
So magical... bifocals?

Frosty
2007-10-19, 12:27 PM
So magical... bifocals?

Basically my first thought.

F.L.
2007-10-19, 12:53 PM
Pseudonatural Paragon Ben Franklin approves of this idea.

Clementx
2007-10-19, 12:58 PM
DMG p213. Putting on a magic item is a standard action. So not so much.

F.L.
2007-10-19, 01:04 PM
Great, and now I have the idea of an odd version of Poor Richard's Almanack going through my head.

"A LA saved is a level earned"

"Early to bed and early to rise lets Batman Wizard save all of your lives"

etc.

Riffington
2007-10-19, 01:19 PM
What you want to do is change the rotational axis. Instead of having the axis be sideways, have it a front-back axis. Then you could have as many lenses as you like, and look through any combination of them at once.

If you add a simple spring/catch mechanism, putting any one lens down would make the others spring back up, so that you only look through one set at a time.

Such a device could plausibly speed the process up to a swift action.

Frosty
2007-10-19, 02:50 PM
Correct. Switching between lenses would be a swift action. The frame itself should be priced accordingly by the DM to reflect this benefit.