PDA

View Full Version : Enhancement bonus to stat boosting spellcasting?

Tyger
2007-10-19, 11:26 AM
My understanding is, that if you have a stat bonus item, which boosts your casting relevant stat (like a Headband of Intellect +4 for a wizard) that you determine your bonus spells based on the enhanced stat. I have a player citing otherwise, but I am away from my books at the moment and can't find the answer on the SRD.

Can anyone clarify this?

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-10-19, 11:30 AM
If you have a bonus that lasts AT LEAST as long as your rest period to recover spells, you get bonus slots from it, unless it says otherwise.

Spells like Eagle's Splendor specifically say they don't grant bonus slots.

Draz74
2007-10-19, 11:36 AM
Spells like Eagle's Splendor specifically say they don't grant bonus slots.

What if someone casts them on you with Persistent Spell? Like, just before you start sleeping?

Jasdoif
2007-10-19, 11:44 AM
The question is addressed in the FAQ.
Do ability enhancing items (such as the headband of intellect, cloak of charisma, and periapt of wisdom) grant bonus spells to the appropriate spellcasters? The spells these items are based on would seem to prohibit it, but the only things specifically addressed in the item descriptions are skill points.

Yes, you can get extra bonus spells if you have an item that increases the ability score that governs your spellcasting. To get the extra bonus spells, you must wear the item while resting to regain spells and all through your initial daily preparations for spellcasting. (Even characters who don’t prepare spells need to meditate a little while at the beginning of the day; see Daily Readying of spells under the Sorcerers and bards section of Chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.)

If you lose the item, you immediately lose the bonus spell slots the item gave you, starting with any uncast spells you have of the appropriate levels.

What if someone casts them on you with Persistent Spell? Like, just before you start sleeping?Eagle's splendor explicitly states that it doesn't grant you bonus spells for your increased Charisma. So RAW, it can't grant you bonus spells regardless of any changes to its duration.

Besides, you can't apply Persistent Spell to touch spells like eagle's splendor.

Tyger
2007-10-19, 11:47 AM
Jasdoif, as always, you are the man. Or woman. Or Trangendered being. Or non-sexual unitary creature of life. Whatever. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks!