PDA

View Full Version : Wand chamber in swords

Orpheus108
2019-11-25, 06:08 AM
Greetimgs All,

I have a question regarding the wand chamber. Since straight fighter cant use wands, why put a wand chamber in a sword unless your a say a fighter wizard for example, or you have multiclassed into a spellcaster class or your a rogue.

I ask rhis because looking at some of the handbooks here in the forums on building characters, it was mentioned using the wand chamber with something that was 'spell'strike in a two handed sword.

So really the wand chamber is for multiclass spellcaster and some sort of fighter class.

Am i reading this wrong

Cheers

And ive been looking at the Alchemist class to play and was wondering are they worth multiclassing, and of so what is a good class to multiclass with?

Malphegor
2019-11-25, 06:55 AM
afaik I think wands can be used by anyone with Use Magic Device as a skill, past-present-or-future.

I think the wording of UMD assumes you are a caster of some sort, but I don't know.

This is of course for unknown wands. I'm about 60% sure that purchased wands where the seller gave clear instructions or it was specifically created for the fighter should be useable by that fighter easily without needing a check.

NNescio
2019-11-25, 09:02 AM
Greetimgs All,

I have a question regarding the wand chamber. Since straight fighter cant use wands, why put a wand chamber in a sword unless your a say a fighter wizard for example, or you have multiclassed into a spellcaster class or your a rogue.

I ask rhis because looking at some of the handbooks here in the forums on building characters, it was mentioned using the wand chamber with something that was 'spell'strike in a two handed sword.

So really the wand chamber is for multiclass spellcaster and some sort of fighter class.

Am i reading this wrong

Cheers

And ive been looking at the Alchemist class to play and was wondering are they worth multiclassing, and of so what is a good class to multiclass with?

Use Magic Device (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm) is a thing.

Most 'tricksy' (or 'jack of all trades') classes like the Rogue gets UMD to let them emulate spellcasting. The Grave/Golem/Vine Strike series of spells (in the form of wands) are particularly desirable to Rogues, because they let them bypass the annoying "immune to Sneak Attack" 'trait' that so many creature types get by default.

As an Alchemist (assuming Pathfinder), you already get UMD as a class skill. You don't need to multiclass to use wands, though it may be desirable to save skill points (and get other benefits), depending on character build.

(I'm not intimately familiar with Alchemists, sorry.)

afaik I think wands can be used by anyone with Use Magic Device as a skill, past-present-or-future.

You need ranks in UMD. It's a trained-only skill. Having it on your class list isn't enough.

I think the wording of UMD assumes you are a caster of some sort, but I don't know.

No, it doesn't. A lot of casters don't even get UMD as a class skill. Those that do are usually trickster or jack-of-all-trade archetypes (like the Rogue).

This is of course for unknown wands. I'm about 60% sure that purchased wands where the seller gave clear instructions or it was specifically created for the fighter should be useable by that fighter easily without needing a check.

No, wands usually only can be activated if you have the spell on your spell list. Otherwise you need UMD to bypass that requirement.

Likewise for other spell trigger items. They require "special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know", which is reflected by either having the spell on the character's spell list. UMD allows the user to 'improvise' and bypass this requirement.

Having clear instructions from the crafter just allows the user to bypass the "must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it." Otherwise, for found wands, the user has to identify the item (Spellcraft or spell) or blindly activate it (again, UMD) to figure out what spell it has, before she can activate it normally, assuming she has the spell on her spell list.

A straight-classed Fighter without UMD is outta luck.

Crake
2019-11-25, 09:43 AM
I'm about 60% sure that purchased wands where the seller gave clear instructions or it was specifically created for the fighter should be useable by that fighter easily without needing a check.

What you're thinking of here is command word activated magic items. Wands are not command word, but rather spell trigger. Just knowing the words to say isn't enough, you need to be able to trigger the magic, which formal magical training allows you to do, or training in use magic device allows you to attempt.

HeraldOfExius
2019-11-25, 12:33 PM

Spellstrike is a class feature for the magus, which is a gish class (one that uses both spells and weapons). Spellstrike lets a magus make a weapon attack as part of a touch spell. Normally you would need a free hand to cast most spells (or use a wand to do so), which makes using spellstrike with a two-handed weapon difficult. A wand chamber would let you cast a spell from your weapon, which would then allow you to keep both hands on your weapon while casting. A magus with the right build can even do this as part of a full attack.

Orpheus108
2019-11-25, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys, that makes sense

el minster
2019-12-24, 12:21 AM
You could be a ranger, paladin, or bard and stick in a cure wand or wand with buff, also duskblade, beguiler, War domain, favored soul, hexblade, elf...

el minster
2019-12-24, 12:23 AM
What book contains Wand Chamber?

Saintheart
2019-12-24, 12:57 AM
What book contains Wand Chamber?

Dungeonscape IIRC.