PDA

View Full Version : Knight of the Chalice review

3drinks
2019-11-25, 06:16 AM
What's everyone's opinion of this high req PrC that is a narrow silver bullet? And is it worth it? I'd like to aim for that for a current pbp character (Prince Akbar) in my sig, although I need to find an efficient way to cast protection from evil, I guess. But is it even worth it?

From a fluff perspective, it's a fantabulous image of a demon slayer.

Scots Dragon
2019-11-25, 06:35 AM
Easiest entry is 8th-level paladin. It gives you the skill points for the skill requirements, can cast protection from evil, and has a +8 BAB. The class basically seems to be built from the perspective of a paladin as entry.

It's not very good from the obligatory optimisation standpoint, though, and doesn't really give you anything that simply going for more levels of paladin or a better paladin prestige class wouldn't.

I feel like if you want the same theme, a Fist of Raziel from Book of Exalted Deeds is a better realisation of the same concept.

*You can also insert more levels of prestige classes, but I'm not big on going full-on super optimisation. It got old a very long time ago.

3drinks
2019-11-25, 08:49 AM
I'm not looking to over OP since this DM doesn't want it. I was just looking for something for the last few levels. Justicar fits my fluff ideal, or I might just fill it in with more ranger levels, which seems okay-ish if unexciting.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-25, 10:01 PM
No point in going in off of something that gets even half-decent casting, like the paladin.

Prot from evil appears in the good domain at level 1 so you could get in after a dip in divine crusader on the level before knight of the chalice and do basically whatever you want with the 6 levels before that as long as you get your prerequisites. As long as you get know religion as a class skill and pick up weapon focus, you're good.

Troacctid
2019-11-27, 04:03 PM
Honestly, I don't think there's any point in the ranger's progression where the abilities you get from knight of the chalice are better than the extra ranger spell slots you get from taking more ranger levels.