View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monstrous race: Oozefolk

Trandir
2019-11-25, 09:58 AM
Oozefolk
Ability Scores: Con +1; Choose 2 from any or Choose 1 twice from any except Con
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet

Sturdy Design
Oozefolk are designed to be able to sustain major damage, this way they could be deployed in highly hostile enviroments.

Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

Mostly Amorphous
Oozefolk have some similarities with the mindless oozes, but unlike them their bodies are much more solid ans less flexible.

Oozefolk can move through a space as narrow as 6 inch wide without squeezing. Any object worn or carried that would not fit is left behind.

Shape Control.
Oozefolk have control over their body in ways that most creatures do not. This control allows them to take various forms. Oozefolk can alter your form in any way, but tgey will always remain a medium creature. Minor changes do not require any particular effort and can be done as a Bonus Action. While more complex modifications, like growing extra limbs or becoming completely liquid, are made as an Action and can't be maintained for more than a minute. Once you have used this trait in that way you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Ooze Nature
Oozefolk have some traits particularly useful to oozes.

Your type is ooze rather than humanoid. Your body composition allows you to eat almost anything that can provide nutrients by dissolving it into your body. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage

Edit: this is the updated version as the DM allows to play. (Probably now it's a bit on the strong side)

Trandir
2019-11-25, 10:00 AM
Any advice for additional features?

sleepyhead
2019-11-25, 10:50 AM
Oozefolk
Ability Scores: Con +2, Str +1
Speed: 25 feet

Amorphous. The ooze can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.

Pseudopod. Because of your Oozy nature, you can make attacks with arms of goo. In addition, your pseudopods are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier and 1d4 acid damage.

Long-Limbed. When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.

Maybe subraces depending on what kind of ooze you are? Gelatinous Cube could turn transparent when they arnt moving and gray do more acid damage and can look like a puddle?

Trandir
2019-11-25, 02:18 PM
Oozefolk
Ability Scores: Con +2, Str +1
Speed: 25 feet

Amorphous. The ooze can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.

Pseudopod. Because of your Oozy nature, you can make attacks with arms of goo. In addition, your pseudopods are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier and 1d4 acid damage.

Long-Limbed. When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.

Maybe subraces depending on what kind of ooze you are? Gelatinous Cube could turn transparent when they arnt moving and gray do more acid damage and can look like a puddle?

2d4 Unarmed strikes are way too good, it rivals martial weapons. 1d6+Str would be better and maybe put a racial feat to add acid damage would be better.

The bugbear trait knockoff does fit quite well.

Isn't "at will" amorphus too good to give to the PCs?

The subrace might not be a great idea. The race is created by magic just like the other oozes rather than "awaken" an existing one.

Sidenote: I am adding some fluff.

sleepyhead
2019-11-25, 02:27 PM
2d4 Unarmed strikes are way too good, it rivals martial weapons. 1d6+Str would be better and maybe put a racial feat to add acid damage would be better.

Isn't "at will" amorphus too good to give to the PCs?

Sidenote: I am adding some fluff.

Racial feat sounds cool.
Maybe? Worst I can imagine is them squeezing through giant keyholes. That does leave the rest of the party behind though, so kind of the same problem with flying races but without air dropping firebolts/arrows. Also gopher holes but that's kinda situational.

Trandir
2019-11-25, 05:40 PM
Racial feat sounds cool.
Maybe? Worst I can imagine is them squeezing through giant keyholes. That does leave the rest of the party behind though, so kind of the same problem with flying races but without air dropping firebolts/arrows. Also gopher holes but that's kinda situational.

Ok I made a full race and also the racial feat.
Any comment?

BerzerkerUnit
2019-11-25, 08:11 PM
I made the Aez, same vein, give’em a look:

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/215837