PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I'm Optimizing A Homer Simpson Build

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-25, 04:26 PM
I did it. I finally did it. I created the King of D'oh Homer Simpson character sheet. Here's his sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1170797 Well the whole idea of Homer build is that's he's a pure shock trooper who enjoys dishing major damage with his greatsword. I have to dip three levels of Fighters adding a ton of rage feats plus the Extend Rage feat. Then I finally add the first level of Frenzied Berserker which is very dangerous if Homer fails a Will Save meaning that he'll attack and if not kill only one who stands in Homer way (I feel like that Homer alignment is Chaotic Evil instead of Chaotic Neutral but whatever.) So if anyone has any suggestion for Homer Simpson build, free feel to speak up

Crake
2019-11-25, 04:34 PM
Did you miss the part where frenzied berserker requires bab 6?

{Scrubbed]

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-25, 04:38 PM
Did you miss the part where frenzied berserker requires bab 6?

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I guess I must have miss that part then.

JeromeKCog
2019-11-26, 03:11 AM
From what I can recall of the Simpsons, especially the episode involving Homer becoming a boxer, Homer is far more adept at receiving damage than dishing it out.

Are you set on human? If not you could run him as a Mongrelfolk for the Con boost and penalties to Int and Cha. Taking roll with it as many times as possible for feats and combine that with Boar Totem Barbarian to give him the benefits of Diehard while raging, representing his inability to be knocked out.

It's not particularly optimal but I would say it represents Homer fairly well.

My two cents.

Allanimal
2019-11-26, 08:53 AM
From what I can recall of the Simpsons, especially the episode involving Homer becoming a boxer, Homer is far more adept at receiving damage than dishing it out.

Yeah, and the time he was in the circus, getting cannonballs shot at him...

He is often choking Bart, so I think specializing in grapple and non-lethal damage would be appropriate.

King of Nowhere
2019-11-26, 09:34 AM
I don't understand what totem barbarian on a relatively optimized build has to do with homer simpson.
Plus, wisdom 14??? This is the man who is routinely outsmarted by a hamster. Dexterity 14? When did we ever see him as even remotely limber?

Morty
2019-11-26, 09:38 AM
There's only so much you can do to make a D&D character resemble an animated sitcom character. Particularly one whose major traits include ineptitude and stupidity.

Willie the Duck
2019-11-26, 10:04 AM
What I consider to be iconic about Homer Simpson is that he is a durable, clumsy, and dumb (yes, he is also inattentive, unwary, uncagey, and waffles between oafish and charismatic as the plot demands, but as Morty points out, there's only so much you can do to make a PC out of a character defined by success-despite-ineptitude) who routinely attempts acts of bravery and grace despite being ill-suited to the task. I would make Homer be a high-Con, low-Int, Low-Dex Monk*, with levels of the Savage Species PrC Survivor and maybe Complete Adventurer's PrC Thief-Acrobat.
*Mostly for the boxing episode and his strangling of Bart. Homer uses his bare hands and occasionally a baseball bat or gun, but again he's not coming from a genre where routine weapon-use is plot-relevant.

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-26, 12:31 PM
I don't understand what totem barbarian on a relatively optimized build has to do with homer Simpson.
Plus, wisdom 14??? This is the man who is routinely outsmarted by a hamster. Dexterity 14? When did we ever see him as even remotely limber?

There's only so much you can do to make a D&D character resemble an animated sitcom character. Particularly one whose major traits include ineptitude and stupidity.

What I consider to be iconic about Homer Simpson is that he is a durable, clumsy, and dumb (yes, he is also inattentive, unwary, uncaged, and waffles between oafish and charismatic as the plot demands, but as Morty points out, there's only so much you can do to make a PC out of a character defined by success-despite-ineptitude) who routinely attempts acts of bravery and grace despite being ill-suited to the task. I would make Homer be a high-Con, low-Int, Low-Dex Monk*, with levels of the Savage Species PrC Survivor and maybe Complete Adventurer's PrC Thief-Acrobat.
*Mostly for the boxing episode and his strangling of Bart. Homer uses his bare hands and occasionally a baseball bat or gun, but again he's not coming from a genre where routine weapon-use is plot-relevant.

Yes, Homer does have a great hand to hand combat skills and he does strangle Bart a lot on TV. I thought that Barbarian would fit a lot since he gets angry very often on TV. Also, I do agree there so much to do in D&D 3.5 to build a character from pop culture

Kurald Galain
2019-11-26, 12:39 PM
Homer strikes me as way too lazy to be a frenzied anything. One of his defining traits is not doing anything if he can avoid it, to the point where in the old cardgame, his win condition is "win if nobody else has won by turn X". So win by doing nothing.

Also, he should have much higher charisma. Homer is exceedingly good at getting people to like him, and getting them to go along with his oft-ridiculous plans.

Psyren
2019-11-26, 12:56 PM
Int and Wis are definitely negative, he's dumb as a brick. Charisma... eh, he seems to be valued by his friends and can get the town on his side as often as he pisses them off. I'd probably put him closer to average here?

I agree with the folks saying that you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole though - D&D stats are difficult to model comedy characters with, especially animated ones.

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-26, 01:27 PM
Homer strikes me as way too lazy to be a frenzied anything. One of his defining traits is not doing anything if he can avoid it, to the point where in the old cardgame, his win condition is "win if nobody else has won by turn X". So win by doing nothing.

Also, he should have much higher charisma. Homer is exceedingly good at getting people to like him, and getting them to go along with his oft-ridiculous plans.That's sounds like the famous Luigi winning by absolutely nothing.

Int and Wis are definitely negative, he's dumb as a brick. Charisma... eh, he seems to be valued by his friends and can get the town on his side as often as he pisses them off. I'd probably put him closer to average here?

I agree with the folks saying that you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole though - D&D stats are difficult to model comedy characters with, especially animated ones.
Well at least I tried. :amused:

pabelfly
2019-11-26, 01:59 PM
Why not the Drunken Master PrC?

Kurald Galain
2019-11-26, 02:02 PM
Oh you can always model to some extent. Based on e.g. the famous boxing episode, I'd imagine Homer's D&D version to be a melee warrior with very high AC (but not from dex) and hit points, who does very little other than stand there taking blows, maybe grapple a bit, while the rest of the party drops the foe.

So the Stone Wall archetype, basically.

Bartmanhomer
2019-11-26, 03:29 PM
Why not the Drunken Master PrC?I should have analyzed Homer a bit further. D'oh! :sigh:

Oh you can always model to some extent. Based on e.g. the famous boxing episode, I'd imagine Homer's D&D version to be a melee warrior with very high AC (but not from dex) and hit points, who does very little other than stand there taking blows, maybe grapple a bit, while the rest of the party drops the foe.

So the Stone Wall archetype, basically.

Stone Wall archtype huh? This is the job for Pathfinder. :smile: