PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magic Items that grant advantage on attack roles

BigFNDeal
2019-11-26, 02:28 AM
I am 100% sure of what I am asking. I am NOT looking for ways to get sneak attack damage, I have those down. I am not looking for spells, or potions or single use items. I am looking for items I can attune to (or not) that when used as a weapon or worn, grant advantage on attacks.

As an example
- I know that the Oathbow grants advantage on attack roles versus your sworn enemy.

Open to folks getting creative, but the end result is that I need to have advantage on attacks.

My PC is a Rogue 1/Ranger 2 Human Variant with Sharpshooter. I currently use a longbow as my primary weapon and have +7 to hit. Also, I will be going Gloom Stalker Ranger at my next level of Ranger & two levels after that will be going Assassin for my Rogue.

Zhorn
2019-11-26, 02:31 AM
Are you looking for strictly official 5e items?
Conversions from previous editions?
Or homebrew items?

BigFNDeal
2019-11-26, 02:33 AM
Are you looking for strictly official 5e items?
Conversions from previous editions?
Or homebrew items?

I'm mainly seeking official 5e items, not sure how conversions or homebrew would fly with my DM, but I'm open to asking.

Greywander
2019-11-26, 02:43 AM
Cloak of Invisibility, which also comes with a slew of other benefits.

But that's a very powerful item, so don't expect to find it easily.

Zhorn
2019-11-26, 03:04 AM
Thinking in general terms first, just to broaden the criteria beyond just strictly looking for "this item grants advantage" text in the item's description.
So being that you are primarily a ranged attacker, we want to avoid inflicting the prone condition, but anything that can instead inflict the blinded, paralyzed, petrified, restrained, or unconscious conditions will work in giving you advantage on attack rolls.
Iron Bands of Bilarro, Rope of Entanglement, Wand of Binding, Wand of Paralysis, and Wand of Web are all in the DMG and can apply spell effects that will trigger these conditions.

The Faerie Fire spell is also something to look at. While not listed as a specific wand in the DMG, the existence of other spell casting wands at the very least supplies the precedence and framework for a Wand of Faerie Fire.
Ring of Spell Storing, with another caster supplying the Faerie Fire spell is a 100% official method to get what you are after. Being said, as a Ranger, the concentration from this will block you out from using Hunter's Mark unless your DM is going by a UA variant that doesn't require concentration.

The above method could be done for a Blindness spell, 1 minute duration, no concentration.

Sadly, these are not in the category of 'weapons that grant advantage on attack rolls' you ask for, so they would take an action to set up for the advantage on following rounds when successful. Really strong for the party as a whole, but don't have that immediate "I'm about to end you" feel of just having advantage directly :smallconfused:
... But if someone else in the party were to take them up instead, they are all applying conditions that give EVERYONE advantage against the target :smallamused:

BigFNDeal
2019-11-26, 03:46 AM
Thinking in general terms first, just to broaden the criteria beyond just strictly looking for "this item grants advantage" text in the item's description.
So being that you are primarily a ranged attacker, we want to avoid inflicting the prone condition, but anything that can instead inflict the blinded, paralyzed, petrified, restrained, or unconscious conditions will work in giving you advantage on attack rolls.
Iron Bands of Bilarro, Rope of Entanglement, Wand of Binding, Wand of Paralysis, and Wand of Web are all in the DMG and can apply spell effects that will trigger these conditions.

The Faerie Fire spell is also something to look at. While not listed as a specific wand in the DMG, the existence of other spell casting wands at the very least supplies the precedence and framework for a Wand of Faerie Fire.
Ring of Spell Storing, with another caster supplying the Faerie Fire spell is a 100% official method to get what you are after. Being said, as a Ranger, the concentration from this will block you out from using Hunter's Mark unless your DM is going by a UA variant that doesn't require concentration.

The above method could be done for a Blindness spell, 1 minute duration, no concentration.

Sadly, these are not in the category of 'weapons that grant advantage on attack rolls' you ask for, so they would take an action to set up for the advantage on following rounds when successful. Really strong for the party as a whole, but don't have that immediate "I'm about to end you" feel of just having advantage directly :smallconfused:
... But if someone else in the party were to take them up instead, they are all applying conditions that give EVERYONE advantage against the target :smallamused:

Thanks Zhorn! Though I'm not sure about unconscious because if they are prone, ranged attacks are with disadvantage. I like the Faerie Fire concept, but I also thought of two more maybe - Wizard casting Frostbite and Cleric casting Guiding Bolt also. Obviously a familiar would help, but none of those are available to my group right now. I'll try and work with my mages to get there.

Zhorn
2019-11-26, 04:15 AM
While I like using Guiding Bolt, the window of opportunity it gives is pretty narrow and not worth the effort of pursuing for your specific situation. You need to be the very next attacker to get the benefit of the advantage it gives, it only persists for 1 round, or until that advantage is consumed, and the spell slot might be better served as having a different use by the caster.

Ring of Spell Storing can work for the efficiency side of things as you can have a caster charge the item up with their left over spell slots before taking a long rest, or a Wand is good for the dedicated charges that won't consume spell slots, but the duration aspect just doesn't make the cut for the specifics of what works best for you.

Even if a caster is willing to hold their casting of Guiding Bolt until just before you attack, they are still throwing away their reaction and concentration on top of what would normally only cost an action. Then the added threat of an enemy still moving about for the time inbetween the casters turn and your's, and attacks they might do, breaking of the caster's concentration, or in the spell does go off, AND hit, as planned, but the damage is high enough to have eliminated the target, have you then just wasted your movement positioning for a clear shot on the target only to have it kill-stealed by the cleric...:smallfrown:

PS: I see from your join date that you are new. Save the "reply with quote" for when you are needing to reference a particular thing someone has said, or need to capture a comment that might be subject to being edited out later. All other times a simple @Username is good enough to direct a comment at someone, and saves on massive thread bloat :smallwink:

Nikushimi
2019-11-26, 06:14 AM
Advantage is a powerful thing. Hence why it's called "Advantage". It literally gives you an exponentially better chance to hit.

Sure, it can be negated by imposing disadvantage, but still.

As Zhorn said. There's no weapon that simply gives advantage. No item either as far as I know that simply says "You always have advantage". That'd be a bit broke imo.

You'd have to homebrew an item like "Dagger of True Strike" or something that says "When you use this dagger to attack an enemy, you may use a bonus action to have advantage on the attack" or something. I would never give advantage for free.

I know why you want it, or rather I can assume. You want to utilize the Sneak Attack. Understandable, but there are other ways to gain Advantage.

Remember you can also use Sneak Attack when an ally is within 5ft of the enemy you are attacking.

If your DM also allows, you can use the Cunning Action: Aim from one of the recent UA's which allows you to use your Cunning Action as a Rogue to gain advantage on an attack roll if you do not move on the turn you attack.

Though, you have to be a level 2 Rogue to gain access, but if your DM allows that is what I would do. Since you are a ranged fighter Cunning Action: Aim would do wonders for you. You're not going to be moving much as you take aim and your party should be ahead of you fighting to keep people away. So you can use it to give yourself advantage. I find it broken as hell, but it is pretty useful if your DM allows it.

But yeah, unfortunately there's not much else that can give advantage without it being a spell of some kind (or a wand with the spell, or even race since Drow gain Fairie Fire and Half-Drow do as well if they choose to take the variant and replace their Half-Elf stuff), but yeah.

Sorry.

BigFNDeal
2019-11-26, 07:03 AM
@Zhorn - I am new, I will follow your instructions for posting, thank you.

@Nakashimi - I did say in my original post I was specifically not concerned with sneak attack damage. Also, the Oathbow does give advantage on all attacks against the chosen sworn enemy. But I was more looking for ideas that resulted in advantage, rather than specifically saying it gives advantage. Thus, @Zhorn’s idea of a ring of spell storing & things like Faerie Fire were perfect.

If I had a ring of spell storing, could find familiar be cast into it? Could I get my own familiar that way?

Zhorn
2019-11-26, 07:29 AM
If I had a ring of spell storing, could find familiar be cast into it? Could I get my own familiar that way?

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
That is a brilliant idea. I had to pull out my book and go through the text for the magic item and spell, fearing to get my hopes up, but it works.

Ring of Spell Storing
While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.

This is AWESOME! Nice idea :smallbiggrin:
Find Familiar is a brilliant choice, as it doesn't use concentration, and persists until the familiar is killed.
Getting a owl familiar for Flyby is great for using the help action on your attacks, and assuming you are sticking with a single attack build, a single help action per round will be all you need.

I've always thought of Ring of Spell Storing as a strong item, but after seeing this, that ring might very well become a top pick for any of my characters moving forwards... so much potential I'm only now seeing :smallamused:

Nikushimi
2019-11-26, 07:36 AM
I misread what you meant then. That's my bad. I thought you meant that you weren't looking for items that give more sneak attack damage.

So you're just looking for ways that give you advantage, and since I thought you said you weren't looking for spells I didn't think you wanted Fairie Fire or stuff like that, but you said that Fairie Fire was a good choice even though it's a spell.

Though, Zhorn has most, if not all ways covered, to grant you advantage which utilize either spells in items or items that grant conditions that give advantage.

Cunning Action: Aim is still a good way to grant yourself advantage if your DM allows for it to be used since it IS a UA thing, and thus just test material by Wizards.

Other than what's already listed the only thing that remains is homebrew.

Some DM's give advantage for good roleplay and positioning in a fight.

Flanking if it's used as an optional rule also grants Advantage, but you're ranged so it doesn't quite apply to you unfortunately.
---

Ring of Spell Storing
"Can you store Find Familiar"

At first I wanted to say no cause of the long casting time and it being a "Ritual" but it seems that, yes, you can indeed have Find Familiar in the Ring of Spell Storing.

However, there are caveats.

1. Ring of Spell Storing uses up the spell within the ring when you use that spell from the ring.
2. When a familiar summoned via the ring in this way by the spell Find Familiar that was in the ring you have no way to revive the familiar. You'll need to put another Find Familiar spell into the ring.

So, while you can get your own familiar in this way it is very easy to lose the familiar and make it hard to get it back without asking your wizard buddy to cast another Find Familiar spell into the ring.

To store a ring you MUST use up a spell slot, so you CANNOT cast the spell as a ritual to store it. It HAS to use up a spell slot. Something most people won't do unless they are on some down time. So have them do it before you take a long rest if they have slots available.

Ring of Spell Storing can store 1st through 5th level spells according to the ring.
---

Another thing you COULD do is to save up some money and get someone to enchant a ring or amulet for you that will allow you to gain advantage on your attack rolls. Something like a Ring or Amulet of True Strike. Try to work it out with your DM to be able to activate it as a Bonus Action and to be able to use the advantage it gives on the Attack Action for that round. So you can bonus action activate the ring/amulet and then action to attack with advantage.

It would probably be really expensive though since advantage is pretty good, but that's an option.

BigFNDeal
2019-11-26, 10:03 AM
Problem solved, sort of. My dm approved getting the UA Rogue feature aim. Unfortunately I won’t get cunning action for 2 more levels, I need to finish Ranger 2, Ranger 3 & then I’ll get Rogue 2. So, I need to figure out some things until then, but I’m pretty happy.