PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Immunity to Mind Affecting abilities

Yogibear41
2019-11-26, 03:13 AM
I seem to remember a feat or maybe a class that allowed you to bypass the immunity to mind-affecting abilities of certain creatures such as undead. Can't seem to remember what it was though. Was looking at a possible character build that had a supernatural mind-affecting fear ability as its signature move.

NontheistCleric
2019-11-26, 04:08 AM
You may be referring to Dread Witch, a 5-level PrC from Heroes of Horror whose 4th-level ability, Greater Master of Terror, allows normally immune creatures to be affected by fear spells, which includes undead but could also extend to constructs and other immune creatures.

Alternatively, a similar but undead-exclusive effect could be achieved with the use of the feat Requiem, from Libris Mortis, which allows Bardic Music effects to be used on undead with reduced durations, enabling fear effects produced by the Inspire Awe ACF (Dragon Magic) or possibly the Haunting Melody feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) to be effective on them.

Anthrowhale
2019-11-26, 06:26 AM
There is also the 'Song of the Dead' metamagic feat.

noob
2019-11-26, 06:34 AM
Bards have a feat that allows to ignore all mind affecting abilities immunities with their songs but it is an epic feat.
Means that a level 21 bard can sing into submission absolutely everything they want if they did not pick up epic spell-casting instead somehow.

Biggus
2019-11-26, 08:35 AM
Bards have a feat that allows to ignore all mind affecting abilities immunities with their songs but it is an epic feat.
Means that a level 21 bard can sing into submission absolutely everything they want if they did not pick up epic spell-casting instead somehow.

They can't take Music of the Gods until level 27 (it requires 30 ranks in Perform).

Crake
2019-11-26, 08:41 AM
Pathfinder has a bunch of metamagic feats relating to various creature types that have innate immunity to mind affecting, that allow you to treat them as if they weren't immune to mind affecting (even if they're mindless). They typically come at a +2 level adjustment, the undead one is called Threnodic Spell.

noob
2019-11-26, 08:58 AM
They can't take Music of the Gods until level 27 (it requires 30 ranks in Perform).

there is tricks to raise skill cap(such as taking a bunch of hit dice then losing them)

Heavenblade
2019-11-26, 11:14 AM
If we talk pathfinder, 3rd level mesmerists have the chance to bypass any mind affecting immunity against thr target of their stare

Yogibear41
2019-11-26, 01:51 PM
Hmm don't think any of those will work since it is from a supernatural ability. Oh well.

NontheistCleric
2019-11-26, 07:21 PM
Hmm don't think any of those will work since it is from a supernatural ability. Oh well.

Actually, Dread Witch's capstone includes a supernatural fear effect that can affect the normally immune. Just noticed, but there you have it.

Inspire Awe is probably also supernatural, as it replaces a supernatural ability, although its description doesn't actually say it's supernatural.

Celestia
2019-11-28, 09:39 AM
Bards can't take epic spellcasting because they don't get 9th level spells.

noob
2019-11-28, 09:43 AM
Bards can't take epic spellcasting because they don't get 9th level spells.

If a bard somehow gets epic bonus spell slot 3 times at once at level 21 they might get epic spellcasting too.

Celestia
2019-11-28, 09:46 AM
If a bard somehow gets epic bonus spell slot 3 times at once at level 21 they might get epic spellcasting too.
Sure, just find a way to get four epic feats in a single level. I'm sure that's a piece of cake.

noob
2019-11-28, 09:55 AM
Sure, just find a way to get four epic feats in a single level. I'm sure that's a piece of cake.

I believe there is multiple tricks for that but not everybody use this kind of cheese which is why I told somehow and not surely.

Crake
2019-11-28, 12:22 PM

Sure, DCFS at your service.