PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Walking Underwater 3.5

Chester
2019-11-26, 06:38 AM
Hello.

A player in the game (3.5) has a heavily armored character and, instead of trying to swim, wants to sink to to bottom of a 10 ft deep pool and walk across. I abided by aquatic terrain rules, but he insists that specific rules exist pertaining to heavily armored characters sinking to the bottom and walking around.

He was unable to produce said rules.

Do they exist? If so, where are they?

Bronk
2019-11-26, 06:58 AM
Hello.

A player in the game (3.5) has a heavily armored character and, instead of trying to swim, wants to sink to to bottom of a 10 ft deep pool and walk across. I abided by aquatic terrain rules, but he insists that specific rules exist pertaining to heavily armored characters sinking to the bottom and walking around.

They're in a footnote to the 'Combat Adjustments Underwater' table.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm

Creatures have firm footing when walking along the bottom, braced against a ship’s hull, or the like. A creature can only walk along the bottom if it wears or carries enough gear to weigh itself down—at least 16 pounds for Medium creatures, twice that for each size category larger than Medium, and half that for each size category smaller than Medium.

Lestrange
2019-11-30, 03:57 PM
1. Ask "Are you sure?" How confident are they that the pool is only 10 feet deep?

2. Have them make a Swim check anyway because walking underwater is not easy (But give a bonus for creative thinking).

3. How are they going to get out on the other side? If armor weighs you down enough to sink, it would be tricky to climb or lift yourself up a 10-foot wall underwater.

4. Due to this unexpected turn of events, they step on a submerged pressure plate which could have easily been avoided by swimming. A section of wall slides open and huge octopus zombies eagerly try to drag the armored hero away. It might even take a while for the companions to notice, and air is running out...

Celestia
2019-11-30, 04:32 PM
2. Have them make a Swim check anyway because walking underwater is not easy (But give a bonus for creative thinking).
I could see forcing a strength check, but you're very much not swimming, so a swim check makes no sense. In addition, forcing a swim check on someone who can't make a swim check is just cruel. It sounds more like you want them to drown and are punishing them for trying to find some way to save themselves.

3. How are they going to get out on the other side? If armor weighs you down enough to sink, it would be tricky to climb or lift yourself up a 10-foot wall underwater.
It'd actually be easier than climbing up a ten foot wall out of the water since you'll still be more buoyant in water than in air.

4. Due to this unexpected turn of events, they step on a submerged pressure plate which could have easily been avoided by swimming. A section of wall slides open and huge octopus zombies eagerly try to drag the armored hero away. It might even take a while for the companions to notice, and air is running out...
Now I am absolutely certain that I never want you to be my DM. D&D doesn't exist for you to fulfill your sadistic fantasies.

False God
2019-11-30, 05:44 PM
You should have someone with "knowledge nature" let him know this is a very baaaaad idea.

He's not going to be moving at normal speed, 5-10ft tops. The weight from his armor is distributed all over his body when he needs it all to be on his feet. Probably gonna be making balance checks not to flop on the floor like a reverse-fish too.

Crake
2019-11-30, 06:40 PM
You should have someone with "knowledge nature" let him know this is a very baaaaad idea.

He's not going to be moving at normal speed, 5-10ft tops. The weight from his armor is distributed all over his body when he needs it all to be on his feet. Probably gonna be making balance checks not to flop on the floor like a reverse-fish too.

According to the footnote that bronk mentioned, it's half speed, so 10ft is correct for someone in medium or heavy armor.

AlanBruce
2019-11-30, 09:59 PM
Hello.

I believe others have addressed the mechanical aspect for this particular scenario.

My question is: can it be avoided?

Is this iron clad PC required to sink into an allegedly 10 ft pool and walk across it? Is he aware that breathing - provided several factors- is very much a thing?

Perhaps some further information on this PC and his gear might help. Otherwise, I personally assume that this is a person who, casting aside Common Sense, sinks into unknown waters while heavily armored.

And if that is the case, actions have consequences.

Lestrange
2019-12-01, 12:16 AM
I could see forcing a strength check, but you're very much not swimming, so a swim check makes no sense. In addition, forcing a swim check on someone who can't make a swim check is just cruel. It sounds more like you want them to drown and are punishing them for trying to find some way to save themselves.

It'd actually be easier than climbing up a ten foot wall out of the water since you'll still be more buoyant in water than in air.

Now I am absolutely certain that I never want you to be my DM. D&D doesn't exist for you to fulfill your sadistic fantasies.

Ok, I'm sorry if I came across as sadistic?? I'll try to design less evil traps but sometimes there's a scenario (like being in a murky pool in some dungeon) that makes me think "this is scary. What's the worst that could happen?" Obviously I'm not going to give the players something they're not strong enough to survive, it'll just be a challenging and frightening experience. Peak D&D.

For example, let's imagine The Hobbit as an RPG. Bilbo has escaped the dark caverns and is so close to daylight! But the skulking Gollum waits in his path, and the DM says the open door is about to close! "What a sadistic thing to do" you might say, and the person playing Bilbo might panic a bit, but they think quickly and make a Jump check (over Gollum) and a Dexterity check (to get through the door). What could have been "your ring solves everything" becomes a cool story of how your character triumphs.

Troacctid
2019-12-01, 01:07 AM
What you really want is a rod of escape (MIC). It's designed for this exact situation.