PDA

View Full Version : Need Judgement for Subclass

Ogrillian
2019-11-26, 09:07 AM
I made this subclass a while ago and have had a lot of fun and playing it, wanted to have a monk scout with focus on getting clear with minimal combat (basically running away like shaggy and scooby) since our sole rogue is an assassin and we had walked into WAY to many ambushes. I have enjoyed a lot of work to level 12. However a recent new addition to the table argues that it’s broken and way to overpowered, could I get some feedback

Monk- Mind’s Eye Scout

• Level 3 Enhanced Perception You may use a number of reactions equal to your Proficiency modifier per round . Minimum of 2.

Note: Multi classing before Monk level 17 gives you only two reactions per round

• Level 3. Evasive Maneuvers: You may spend a Reaction to use Disengage

• Level 6 Fight or Flight - When targeted by a weapon attack you may spend a reaction to use Dash or use a modified Deflect Missile automatically throwing back the weapon(R) or making an Unarmed strike(M) back to the attacker even if the damage is not reduced to zero. may use a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier per short or long rest.

• Level 11. Heaven’s Eye
As an Action you may spend 2Ki Points to gather and focus Ki into your Mind’s Eye and release it to study the environment, granting True Sight with a 30ft radius for 1 minute, also while active you have the Alert and Mobile Feats plus gain Expertise in Stealth checks. May use twice per Long Rest, if used consecutively you gain 2 levels of exhaustion directly after effect ends.

• Level 17. Rapid Flurry
If your Attack or Extra Attack hits you may spend a reaction and a Ki point to land a Flurry of Blows against the same Target.

Anymage
2019-11-26, 12:36 PM
Seems clunky and stronger than I like. Giving multiple reactions makes me very nervous all on its own, and then being able to turn them into counterattacks sounds like you're trying to ruin action economy.

Composer99
2019-11-26, 01:36 PM
I don't know about broken, but I’d agree with overpowered, along with Anymage's evaluation of clunkiness and overdoing the action economy shenanigans.

Trandir
2019-11-26, 01:40 PM
This is soooooo wrong.

Enhanced perception completely destoys action economy. The name feels like it should belong to perception expertise rather than extra reactions. I'd advice to change the wording to you can use every turn a number of bonus reaction equal to 1+ your monk level divided by 5 (rounded down), or build a table. The cavalier gets extra reactions only at 18th level and it's one per turn not all in a block like this and can be used only for opportunity attacks rather than for everything.

Evasive maneuvers need a better wording and is also another punch at the resource economy. Careful defense cost a bonus action and a ki point and you removed the ki requirement and now reaction are worth even less than usual. Put a trigger or say that you have to use it on your turn.

Fight or flight is a bit messy but it's ok.

Heaven's eye what the hell? Did you just mentioned feats? You should never do that. Also you are getting too much stuff for 2 ki points, the limit on long rest is fine.

Rapid flurry it's weird. If you hit with your attack you can use a reaction to make a flurry of blows, this meams that by expending 2 of your 6 reactions you can do (assuming 2 hits) 2 normal attacks and 6 unarmed attacks from flurry of blows done 3 times. That is way too many rolls.

So in the end the new player is right on paper this is broken, a lot. The design is also terrible. This subclass should be completely reworked.

Anyway if your DM allowed you to play this and you had fun playing it it's perfect since that is the only thing that matter.