PDA

View Full Version : The Monk with the Arcane Propulsion Fists

Anderlith
2019-11-26, 06:00 PM
So, how would you rule on a Monk who’s arms (or more) were replaced with the new Wondrous Item? Would you still let their damage scale since it’s still technically their own fists? Would you let them do a flurry of blows with the ranged attack option?

Not gonna lie, I would love to play an arcane cyberarmed monk

Kane0
2019-11-26, 06:03 PM
So, how would you rule on a Monk who’s arms (or more) were replaced with the new Wondrous Item? Would you still let their damage scale since it’s still technically their own fists? Would you let them do a flurry of blows with the ranged attack option?

Not gonna lie, I would love to play an arcane cyberarmed monk

Well the Glass Eye is a common magic item that just acts as a replacement eye, so yeah I think there's precedent for it.

Not sure about the ranged attack, I guess they would work? There are other ways for Monks to get distance with their martial arts attacks (4E/Sun Soul) so it's not a broken concept.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-11-26, 06:11 PM
Actually a thing to note about the propulsion arm is that it lacks any Simple or Martial distinction but is definitely considered a weapon:

The prosthetic is a magic melee weapon with which you’re proficient. It deals 1d8 force damage on a hit and has the thrown property, with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet.

I'd say no for Martial Arts, which is a shame. Even more unfortunately, I can see an argument by RAW that it completely disqualifies Martial Arts (it's not a Monk weapon and you are always wielding it) which I think is a huge oversight.

I'm not sure how to fix the wording to avoid these potential issues but something like "The prosthetic can be used to make unarmed strikes, these strikes are considered magical and deal 1d8 force damage on a hit. The prosthetic also has the thrown property(20/60) dealing damage as if you had made an unarmed strike with it. When thrown, the prosthetic detaches and flies at the target of the attack, then immediately returns to you and reattaches."

firelistener
2019-11-26, 06:18 PM
Actually a thing to note about the propulsion arm is that it lacks any Simple or Martial distinction but is definitely considered a weapon:

I'd say no for Martial Arts, which is a shame. Even more unfortunately, I can see an argument by RAW that it completely disqualifies Martial Arts (it's not a Monk weapon and you are always wielding it) which I think is a huge oversight.

I'm not sure how to fix the wording to avoid these potential issues but something like "The prosthetic can be used to make unarmed strikes, these strikes are considered magical and deal 1d8 force damage on a hit. The prosthetic also has the thrown property(20/60) dealing damage as if you had made an unarmed strike with it. When thrown, the prosthetic detaches and flies at the target of the attack, then immediately returns to you and reattaches."

Yeah, I think the language you provided would fix it, but I wouldn't allow the ranged attack to count as an unarmed strike simply because it would be extremely powerful for monks, being able to use martial arts abilities at range. Seems like an oversight to me not ruling the melee attacks of the weapon as unarmed strikes or it being a simple/monk weapon.

Anderlith
2019-11-26, 06:22 PM
snip

snip

But a monk weapon is any basic weapon that isn’t a heavy or two handed one. So they count as a monk weapon. The APA even says it’s something you are proficient with & that it’s a fully functional part of your body.

As for power balance, remember these are two rare items that cost a lot as well as you’re losing both actual arms & an attunement slot

ProsecutorGodot
2019-11-26, 06:46 PM
But a monk weapon is any basic weapon that isn’t a heavy or two handed one. So they count as a monk weapon. The APA even says it’s something you are proficient with & that it’s a fully functional part of your body.

As for power balance, remember these are two rare items that cost a lot as well as you’re losing both actual arms & an attunement slot

It's any simple weapon. This isn't a simple weapon it's a "magic melee weapon".

Very poor wording as far as these distinctions are concerned.

EDIT: To expand on this, even Kensei fails to make it work because it's also not a Martial Weapon.

Kane0
2019-11-26, 07:09 PM
You could use the UA ACF for monk weapons?

stoutstien
2019-11-26, 07:36 PM
Id allow it, takes an attunement slot and the range is pretty pathetic.