PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragonborn colors as subraces

KittenMagician
2019-11-26, 09:27 PM
Dragonborn are one of my favorite races but they are SOOOO weak compared to other races. Since a player in my new campaign decided to go Dragonborn i wanted to give it a boost to put it on par with other races. I'm gonna leave the resistances and breath weapons but i wanted to give the more. So far im thinking an additional stat increase (keeping the +2 str and +1 cha for a total of +4) and maybe a skill proficiency and a little something extra based on the colors (ability to breath underwater for bronze)

my player is in a toss up between copper and bronze and so far im thinking
Copper: +1 Cha, proficiency in performance, and proficiency with an instrument

Bronze: +1 Wis, proficiency in insight, amphibious

im still working on the other colors but let me know if you think this is too much or maybe not enough

Trandir
2019-11-27, 02:33 AM
Well the problem is that on paper the breath weapon is good. It's a 2nd level spell that scales and recharges on a short rest.

If your player wants to play one it's not that terrible. A resistance of his choice and a decent mind you breath weapon, but I get where this is coming.

My take on the dragonborn would be:

Ability scores: Str+1 Con +1 Cha +1
Dragons have almost always more Con than Cha and high Str so it's resonable to give them this array. The Con buff is also better than Str

Breath weapon: take it away and in his place put racial spellcasting. A cantrip, a second level spell at 3rd level and another second level spell at 5th level. Your draconic ancestry should decide the spell selection.

Bonus: either unarmed strike buff or natural armor. It's nice to have but not always relevant. But it's nice to have and optimal in some build.