PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need build suggestions

RNightstalker
2019-11-26, 11:19 PM
I'm looking for input on what I'll call a hackmaster. I just want to have as many attacks as possible without "cheese".

Items, classes, feats, anything.

A question to start: if you can get MWF as well as the TWF tree, can you swing whatever's in your hand and add kick attacks?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-11-27, 12:05 AM
You can get either MWF or TWF, but the feat itself doesn't give you extra attacks, the action of full attacking with more than one weapon is what does it. You can only have as many offhand attacks as your number of offhands.

The feat Snap Kick in ToB allows you to make an additional unarmed strike in a full attack, but all your attacks that round take an additional -2 penalty.

The feat Deepspawn in LoM gives you two tentacles that can each make secondary natural attacks.

The Insectile template in SS and the Arachnid template in Underdark each grant additional arms, and can increase the number of offhand attacks you can make. However, they're both pretty bad for practical builds.

The Mongoose maneuvers in ToB give you additional attacks with both your main hand and with one off hand weapon.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-27, 01:25 AM
Actually, Multiweapon Fighting specifies one attack per hand, so I think TWF could give you an extra offhand attack with an unarmed strike (which doesn't have to be made with hands).

Have you considered the Multi-Headed template? Don't know if that qualifies as cheese, but it does allow you to make a full attack with two hands independently without any feats (and I'd argue that it would also work with more hands, but the designers forgot to specify this). Best source of extra hands is probably the Insectile Creature template, which gives you +4 (which should make it the Arachnid Creature template for anything that already has 2 legs and 2 arms <grumble grumble grumble>). And of course Dvati gives you some lovely action economy.

Hand crossbows and (arguably) the Soulbow prestige class are interesting in that they can benefit from both ranged feats and TWF/MWF, giving you an extra attack from Rapid Shot. 4 levels of Soulbow let you fire in melee without provoking opportunity attacks.

EDIT: Huh... since Dvati already have 2 heads, you might be able to get Multi-Headed at a discount. Lemme check... Nope.

Khedrac
2019-11-27, 04:02 AM
Check out some of the Totemist builds in one of the handbooks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook). They can usually have loads of natural attacks (e.g. 4 claws a bite and a tail plus one or two others).

RNightstalker
2019-11-27, 05:43 PM
What I'm thinking so far is a base Warblade for the mongoose maneuvers, going TWF tree.

A couple dips I'm considering are Scout for Skirmish and Skirmishing boots, the Barbarian variant that gives pounce.

I'm also thinking of Dervish for a thousand cuts, but the Belt of Battle and Time Stands Still will do the same thing.

I guess Lightning Mace and aptitude is cheese, but about as far as I'm going. The cleave feats would help add attacks too.

Eladrinblade
2019-11-27, 09:45 PM
Most attacks period = a rogue with a level of monk using shuriken with two weapon fighting, rapid shot, and flurry. Be a halfling for those sweet bonuses. That's without cheese, and in fact can be done entirely with the core books. Shuriken are perhaps the best throwing weapon because they're considered ammunition; you can get a bunch of masterwork or enchanted ones for far cheaper than other throwing weapons, but they are expended on a hit (and 50% with misses).

If you meant melee, that's also doable with flurry, but you'll have to stick to unarmed or monk weapons and won't get any benefit from rapid shot.

Another notable source of bonus attacks is attacks of opportunity with a reach weapon and combat reflexes + high dex, but enemies have to provoke those attacks, which you can't really control.

RNightstalker
2019-11-27, 10:07 PM
Most attacks period = a rogue with a level of monk using shuriken with two weapon fighting, rapid shot, and flurry. Be a halfling for those sweet bonuses. That's without cheese, and in fact can be done entirely with the core books. Shuriken are perhaps the best throwing weapon because they're considered ammunition; you can get a bunch of masterwork or enchanted ones for far cheaper than other throwing weapons, but they are expended on a hit (and 50% with misses).

If you meant melee, that's also doable with flurry, but you'll have to stick to unarmed or monk weapons and won't get any benefit from rapid shot.

Another notable source of bonus attacks is attacks of opportunity with a reach weapon and combat reflexes + high dex, but enemies have to provoke those attacks, which you can't really control.

Focusing on melee, but would flurry even stack with TWF?

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-11-27, 10:26 PM
Focusing on melee, but would flurry even stack with TWF?

No reason to think it wouldn't, and the FAQ (in one of the only instances on record of it not ruining my plans/day) says that it does as well. If you can stomach the -4 penalty, at least.

It's the Rapid Shot I'm skeptical about; I don't think it works on shurikens.

RNightstalker
2019-11-28, 03:22 AM
So here's what I'm thinking so far:
Warblade 1-20 to access the higher level maneuvers-Time Stands Still comes to mind...multiclassing prolongs access to those.
Feats:
1-TWF
H-Power Attack
3-Cleave
W5-Improved Initiative
6-Improved TWF
9-Weapon Focus: Light Mace
W9-Quickdraw
12-Lightning Mace
W13-Combat Reflexes
15-Greater TWF
W17-Blade Meditation
18-Robilar's Gambit

Hiro Quester
2019-11-30, 04:13 PM
Another way is to have natural weapons that don’t involve your weapons, or weapons that don’t involve your natural attacks.

e.g a Druid with a level of monk, in a large cat wild shape, gets unarmed strikes as their normal iterative attacks (using knees and elbows, head butt, etc.), and then bite, claw, claw, and rake attacks (natural weapons all at -5). Add an amulet of mighty fists to add bonuses to all your attacks.