PDA

View Full Version : What is a real Chad kind of name, besides Chad?

MatrixStone93
2019-11-26, 11:34 PM
I need to name a character and I've got no idea whether this is the right area for this or not.

Anyway, what's a real "Chad, the big guy from the football team" kind of name besides the obvious Chad?

Tvtyrant
2019-11-26, 11:36 PM
Lance, Chet, other single syllable names.

Peelee
2019-11-26, 11:55 PM
Trip. Hunter. Tanner. Any name which is actually a job, really.

ETA: There was a similar thread a while ago, I'm gonna see if I can't find it. Had a lot of good responses.

Double ETA: Good news, I found it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581919-Seeking-the-ideal-Bro-name&highlight=Chad). Bad news, it wasn't as extensive as I thought, and "Chad" pretty much won out.

Spore
2019-11-27, 12:57 PM
In Germany it's Kevin. Alpha-Kevin is an obscure insult.

tyckspoon
2019-11-27, 01:26 PM
I think it's the -ad ending of the sound that does it, so other things that end with that would be good. Brad, Thad? Sounds like one of those cartoon cliques of characters with identical or suspiciously similar names indicating similar personality characteristics - you know, the football squad Chad, Brad, and Thad who hang out with the cheerleaders Kailee, Cayley, and Cailei.

Peelee
2019-11-27, 01:28 PM
I think it's the -ad ending of the sound that does it, so other things that end with that would be good. Brad, Thad? Sounds like one of those cartoon cliques of characters with identical or suspiciously similar names indicating similar personality characteristics - you know, the football squad Chad, Brad, and Thad who hang out with the cheerleaders Kailee, Cayley, and Cailei.

Don't forget Aiden, Braden, Caiden, all the letters of the alphabet so long as they come before an "aden" sound!

Ninja_Prawn
2019-11-27, 01:46 PM
Maybe try some of these (https://m.ranker.com/list/the-most-douchebag-names-of-all-time/chris-abraham)?

Some other thoughts: titles like Baron, Duke, King, Prince etc. could work. A lot of otherwise-innocent three-syllable names will work if you have a valley girl accent (imagine Lumpy Space Princess talking about people named Mario, Nathaniel, Jeremy and Oliver). Surnames that are infrequently used as first names will generally work: Jackson (or Jaxon for extra douche cred), Tyson, etc.

Remington (http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=remington&sw=both&exact=true).

Oh man, all of these (http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2019/1/these-16-familiar-boys-names-are-actually-rare%E2%80%94and-always-have-been) are perfect too.

Scarlet Knight
2019-11-27, 10:41 PM
I need to name a character and I've got no idea whether this is the right area for this or not.

Anyway, what's a real "Chad, the big guy from the football team" kind of name besides the obvious Chad?

Chad is only a football name for the quarterback playing for Yale or Stanford.

The REALLY big guy is from Alabama or Georgia, is on the line, and is named Bubba or Pala'uni.

Keshawn or Deon are the big, fast guys on the outside for Nebraska or USC.

Kickers are named Jan or Stavros, aren't big at all, and play on the futbol team.

The big, fast, AND mean guys are called Killer or Bruiser and play for Rutgers. What? Stop laughing! It could happen!

Peelee
2019-11-27, 10:52 PM
The REALLY big guy is from Alabama or Georgia, is on the line, and is named Bubba

Ain't nobody named Bubba down here. :smalltongue:

Durkoala
2019-11-28, 08:33 AM
Yasutora (https://bleach.fandom.com/wiki/Yasutora_Sado) :smalltongue:

Velaryon
2019-11-28, 09:25 AM
I'm a fan of Todd as a Chad-adjacent name.

Unavenger
2019-11-28, 02:00 PM

...well played.

As to the OP's question... I dunno, have you ever tried just giving the person a name without leaning on stereotypes?

Guizonde
2019-12-04, 10:02 AM
i'm quite partial to "trey", myself. mostly due to "tré cool", green day's drummer. but if your pseudonym is that obnoxious, it deserves a place on the list.

failing that, in french, kevin, or brandon. it screams d-bag paired with a very french-sounding last name. i personally knew a kevin ruscassier. and a brandon dubosquet.

Willie the Duck
2019-12-04, 12:34 PM
I'm a fan of Todd as a Chad-adjacent name.

Todd is occasionally 'the embarrassing name' instead of 'the big guy from the football team.' Josh sometimes gets that duty.

I think Chad (or better yet, 'Moose') have the advantage of being a nickname. If you're a Chad, it's because you want to be called Chad, as opposed to Charles (or I suppose your entire social circle has decided that you are a Chad). Mind you, we're to the point where 'the big guys on the football team' and the homecoming court and the like being the de facto villains of a narrative is kinda old-hat, but still I assume most Chads in fiction are Chads because they fill that role (and thus I like it that it is an opt-in situation).

LeSwordfish
2019-12-04, 12:51 PM
Being from the UK, i've always thought Thad had the same sort of vibe as Chad.

DavidSh
2019-12-04, 02:28 PM
I think the Chad-adjacent name should be Cameroon. Except that nobody is actually named Cameroon. How about Togo or Lesotho? Kenya is probably on the field hockey team.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-12-04, 03:28 PM
I think the Chad-adjacent name should be Cameroon. Except that nobody is actually named Cameroon. How about Togo or Lesotho? Kenya is probably on the field hockey team.

You jest, but Cameron is 100% a chad name. Les and Ken were probably proto-chads in the 1970s. Togo changed his name by deed poll because he thought it sounded badass - 200% chad move.

Scarlet Knight
2019-12-04, 10:59 PM

There's always room for a good Geography joke. :smallsmile:

ben-zayb
2019-12-04, 11:08 PM
"Chad" reminds me more of dudebrofratboy, instead of the "mess you and your crew up singlehandedly" badass? Based on the first post, it seems to be the latter so...

Bruce and Chuck, naturally.

Other than those, I just take a look at the names of wrestlers with monster or tough-guy gimmicks:
Brock
Rock
Hunter
Goldberg
Steiner
Cain/Kane
Cillian/Killian
Damian
Antonio
Caesaro
Nero
Rex
Magnus
Brutus
Brody
Braun
Roman
Vladimir

GrayDeath
2019-12-09, 11:03 AM

THat.

Also names like ROck, Chunk, Tod etc come to mind.

Peelee
2019-12-09, 04:29 PM
THat.

Also names like ROck, Chunk, Tod etc come to mind.

.... Who is named Chunk?

Also, Tucker. Geez, who names their kid Tucker?

Tvtyrant
2019-12-09, 05:13 PM
.... Who is named Chunk?

In my head names go:
Mono-syllable: New, hip.
Two-syllable: normal, average.
Three-syllable: Old timey, pretentious.

Kid named Tuck? Hip and upwardly mobile. Tucker? Normal, class locked.
Topper or Tucian? Pretentious.

Anne? Hip. Anna? Annabelle? Pretentious.

Rose->Rosa/rosanne->Rossalina/Rossana.

Peelee
2019-12-09, 06:20 PM
In my head names go:
Mono-syllable: New, hip.
Two-syllable: normal, average.
Three-syllable: Old timey, pretentious.

Kid named Tuck? Hip and upwardly mobile. Tucker? Normal, class locked.
Topper or Tucian? Pretentious.

Anne? Hip. Anna? Annabelle? Pretentious.

Rose->Rosa/rosanne->Rossalina/Rossana.

I'm pretty amused here, since I named my kid a two-syllable name which is not normal or average but totally sounds either new, hip, or pretentious, and is definitely old-timey. Bucks your whole system. :smalltongue:

Ornithologist
2019-12-10, 10:11 AM
So mostly a tangent, but on the subject of names I present Cyanide and happiness:

The Evolution or Robert. (http://explosm.net/comics/2977/)

What makes it funny, is that I had a pair of coworkers at one job who were the respective rob and bob from that picture. It was uncanny.

Spore
2019-12-10, 01:32 PM
I just thought about the "age" of names. Chad always sounds like a 20-something frat bro. Chad being a 50-something father and accountant or 40 something gardener looks even weirder.

Mystic Muse
2019-12-10, 09:42 PM
I just thought about the "age" of names. Chad always sounds like a 20-something frat bro. Chad being a 50-something father and accountant or 40 something gardener looks even weirder.

My little brother Chad just got accepted into medical school this year.

Peelee
2019-12-10, 10:24 PM

Congrats to Chad! I'm legit excited for him. That's no small feat!

Spore
2019-12-11, 10:46 AM

I mean, the "frat bro" is still possible. Though he will not have much free time to do "bro things". :)

Congrats to Chad! I'm legit excited for him. That's no small feat!

Yeah, congrats.

Ornithologist
2019-12-11, 03:18 PM
I use to have a coworker named Cameron, he was football player in high school at the time. On an unrelated note: I've been told most people name Jake are kind of ... uh jerks, might be the best way to put it.

MatrixStone93
2019-12-12, 03:25 PM
...well played.

As to the OP's question... I dunno, have you ever tried just giving the person a name without leaning on stereotypes?

{Scrubbed}

The point of the character is that he doesn't look like he'd break stereotypes but he does. That's why his name needs to be the Chaddiest Chad that ever {Scrubbed}.

edit: Chaddened, then. The Chaddiest Chad that ever Chaddened.

Logic
2019-12-13, 08:37 AM
It's always been "Seth" for my default "Chad" name. When I play Pokemon, and have to name my rival, it's always Seth instead of Gary.

GrayDeath
2019-12-13, 12:05 PM
.... Who is named Chunk?

The Nightguard in Vampire the Masquerade (PC) for one, also one of our College guys was called chunk for a time, when he ...shall we say gained some weight for a stuppid bet. ^^

MatrixStone93
2019-12-14, 02:34 AM
It's always been "Seth" for my default "Chad" name. When I play Pokemon, and have to name my rival, it's always Seth instead of Gary.

The name Seth makes me think of two things.

Dinosaur King and Pokemon Colloseum.

SaintRidley
2019-12-15, 10:09 AM
Brock, Thad, Brad

Hagashager
2019-12-30, 06:07 PM
A friend of mine made a college frat boy as her PC in a Hunter Campaign. She named Scott Sawyer. Pretty "Chad" name.

oxybe
2019-12-31, 11:13 AM
Kyle Korvid, Vampire Bro-verlord.

I never got to run this NPC and it saddens me that I couldn't have the *****-iest of vampires yell "Yeet!" in-character as he chucks a PC off the paraphets.

Just a slovenly slacker that reeks of potions that are totally-not-monster energy drink, stares at tasteless nude paintings all day and while coming off as a complete goofball that hasn't been reprimanded for anything and just bought his way out of problems, while still being able to bacl his threats with his, you know, vampire-ness.

One day Kyle...

2D8HP
2019-12-31, 09:25 PM
Biff.

The artist formerly known as Todd.