PDA

View Full Version : A new home for the Immortal Mystic

Seekergeek
2019-11-27, 12:05 AM
So, the most recent UA had some buddies and I talking about how the previouse Rune Knight fighter made a more satisfying Psychic Warrior than the one presented this week, which for one reason or another got me to thinking about the old Mystic and in particular the Order of the Immortal. It occured to me that, with a few tweaks, it could work as a monk subclass and to my surprise I think it jives pretty well. Exchange psi points for ki ponts and you've got yourself something that doesn't seem entirely off balance. I'm of two minds on a couple of things - mostly I think the whole thing could stand to take the Four Elements approach and provide two of the immortal disciplines at level 3, and one at each subsequent subclass milestone (6, 11, and 17), but I also whipped up something slightly more involved and plunked that on the homebrew page.

Really, though, it seems like a good place to put it and I think seems reasonable.

Edit: Could you even go simpler and just swap psi points for ki points, say you learn any two disciplines from the Mystic UA and one more at 6, 11, and 17 and call it a day?

carrdrivesyou
2019-11-27, 01:42 PM
Psi point were based on spell point originally. As for swapping in ki points...it wouldn't work so well IMO. You won't have enough of them at low levels to really make use of anything outstanding, and at high levels, it's would be broken beyond belief considering ki points refresh on a short rest.

Consider psionic restoration as an example. You could be an endless font of ki healing; at low levels you would be on par with a celestial pact warlock with cure wounds, and at high levels, you could spam heal the party with short rest abuse.

Good idea, but would need a few tweaks to make it work as you want it to.