PDA

View Full Version : Best non-caster options for each dragonmark

bc56
2019-11-27, 01:01 PM
After reading the new Eberron book, I got to thinking about the Dragonmarks. Most of them are far more beneficial to casters than to other classes, because of their extra spells known. What are some effective uses for Dragonmarks with non-casting classes?

stoutstien
2019-11-27, 01:48 PM
Mark of passage is ripe for a swashbuckler to grab.
Mark of sentinel would work for a tanky ranger
Mark of shadow thief rogue
Mark of warding Mastermind

Few I thought of on my first pass

Bobthewizard
2019-11-27, 02:18 PM
After reading the new Eberron book, I got to thinking about the Dragonmarks. Most of them are far more beneficial to casters than to other classes, because of their extra spells known. What are some effective uses for Dragonmarks with non-casting classes?

I might be reading the book wrong, but I think the spells are just added to the spell list of your class, not to your spells known. You still have prepare them using your preparation slots.

Unfortunately, this leads to a common problem in 5e where something is better when used where it doesn't make sense. Mark of healing gives much more to a wizard than it does to a cleric or druid.

Stoutstein has some good suggestions above. Some other synergy I see (yes some of these are spell casters):

Mark of detection for an inquisitive rogue
Mark of Handling on a conjuration wizard (conjure animals is amazing for a high level conjuration wizard)
Mark of Warding for a dwarf wizard (armor of agathys and arcane ward synergize well together)

Anderlith
2019-11-27, 05:24 PM

A lot of people are complaining that the added spells. But if you really look at at least half or so of the marks, most of them actually add nothing to any class you would pair them with thematically. An Artificer gains practically nothing from the Mark of Making, but for some other non thematic class they would gain some interesting spells like say a Making Druid would. I would just keep your players in check & only agree to good characters & it should be fine.

As for straight martial (no half Casters & such) a mounted fighter with a Mark off Handling, or an Iwuisitive Rogue with the Mark of Finding would be perfectly interesting

MrCharlie
2019-11-27, 08:01 PM
Mark of Detection is solid on anyone because wisdom is always useful and a +1 is good enough, but Inquisitives will obviously love it, and anyone who uses wisdom can easily take it.

Monks with mark of finding seem solid; the perception boost is good and the +2 WIS let's you do +1/+1 at level 4 and have a good array (Emphasizing WIS instead of DEX, but that's not a bad thing) at the expense of having odd scores at 1.

Mark of passage would be great with a Rogue; the only real downside is that the spells, if you go arcane trickster, are arguably already on your list (it's the school that restricts wizard spells, you don't have a separate spell list). But passage in general works with anything that can use DEX, so everything except Barbarians.

Mark of Sentinel can be justified on anyone really, as the +2 CON means you can do the same +1/+1 thing and end up with a higher CON and lower main stat that usual-again, still a legitimate choice. The shield once per day is similar to Goliath and other race traits that enable some damage mitigation, the replacement reaction thing is great for anyone who can take a hit (and +2 CON help there) and wisdom is never pointless. That the spell list is great is only icing.

Mark of Shadows is for Rogues. They can also take the Elven Accuracy and Revenant Blade feats depending on context, either of which is an excellent option (Revenant blade let's you duel wield without taking up a hand, wasting a dead feat, or requiring multi-classing).

Mark of Storms works on swashbucklers, and an be justified on fighters, but is less optimal than passage (although lightning resistance and a couple very good spells is actually great).

Mark of Warding doesn't work as well as other dwarves at martials, but I suppose you could justify a mastermind rogue for the same reason I can justify a mark of sentinel fighter or barbarian. +2 CON goes a long way to lessening the blow of attribute inefficiency.

Also, the Abberant Mark feat is actually really good on a martial class like a fighter, barbarian, or monk. +1 CON is always useful, but shield (or absorb elements, theoretically) is a valid choice, it recharges like a warlock, and the benefits are rarely harmful if you are surrounded by enemies.

One thing to note is that the marks are most useful on classes that have limited lists and prepare from anything on that list, so Druids, Clerics, and Paladins. It's also good if you can find anything unique that isn't on your list otherwise, which tends to create the situations referenced above where a Druid rolls out with wizard spells for no good reason, or a Wizard can heal. Otherwise, Sorcerer's, Warlocks, Rangers, and some of the 1/3 casters have such a limited number of spells known that you won't find much millage. Sorcerers can cheat with metamagic, but there are few great cheats that aren't covered by divine soul.

(Incidentally, we just have to assume that Wizards can't copy a mark of healing wizards spellbook, as the rules aren't 100% clear on if your spell list restrains learning new spells-it just says wizard spells, and it is someones wizard spell.)

bc56
2019-11-27, 11:21 PM
Mark of Making would be cool on an Arcane Archer. Int bonus boosts your magic arrows, and you can fluff them as magewrought gadgets. Plus martials always benefit from Magic Weapon