PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #290 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Solara
2006-03-08, 06:31 PM
I don't think that necessarily follows. His alignment is not Lawful Something (my guess would be Neutral Good) but that doesn't mean he cannot act in a "lawful" manner, especially if doing so would balance out chaotic actions taking place outside his sphere of control.

Well, sure, that's the logical interpretation, but I don't think Miko was feeling very logical at the moment. She was about ready to cut loose on Durkon too, after all, and he's about as Lawful as they come.

Solara
2006-03-08, 06:31 PM
That's not to say that I always go easy on my player, but I don't post to message boards and try to make everyone feel inferior for not celebrating smarmy "I am your God" control freak DM bs behavior.

Eh? Wow, where did that come from?

Zantetsuken_Kokoro
2006-03-08, 06:53 PM
It wasn't directed at you Solara. I just predicted the possibility of the DM control freaks running their mouths if I didn't add the clarification at the end, that you quoted.

And to e, there is one important difference with the paladin...you don't risk permanently losing class abilities (by having to take a quest, and then failing the quest) with that other stuff. That other stuff is just temporary debuffs.

Euphemism
2006-03-08, 07:03 PM
But would she wear the leather catsuit? Or a bowler hat instead perhaps?

;)

NARF! Much Avengers love. Her horse could be Mr. Steed, she could be M(iko) Appeal

The Giant
2006-03-08, 07:13 PM
The Voice of Mod: Please take any discussions of play styles to the Gaming board, and keep this thread for talking about the actual comic.

And let's not forget when you do that insulting or disparaging another person's play preference on these boards is against the Rules of Posting. Yes, Zantetsuken_Kokoro, I'm looking at you.

aaronbourque
2006-03-08, 07:48 PM
Yes she did but she had to be told by her commander to not mete out justice on her own after they crashed through the window. When they landed in the courtroom together her mission was over. "I have delivered you to judgement may you be redeemed or burn in the abyss" or some such paladin-y monologue would have been appropriate not a smite evil with the words "die evildoer"

in the portion of my post you quoted I was replying to someone who had said that they got what they deserved. Once Belkar was in the courtroom she was no longer lawfully empowered to determine what it was he deserved. That onus fell to Shojo and the BOPL&G who turned out to be roy's dad.

When she was given that order, she hadn't just had an EXTENDED BATTLE TO THE DEATH with the subject in question.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

zimri
2006-03-08, 11:02 PM
When she was given that order, she hadn't just had an EXTENDED BATTLE TO THE DEATH with the subject in question.

doesn't matter. She was given an order in regards to the order (belkar included) She fulfilled that order. Upon the fullfillment of the order to "if at all possible deliver them to trial OR if absolutely necessary (but try really hard not to) kill them in the field" She loses the right to determine "what they deserve" as punishment and has to stand down. At least thats what any sane paladin who follows laws, is disciplined, and orderly should do.

My wife gets a tad irate when she asks me to go get her a drink and I go get it then drink it in front of her, no matter how much I had to fight with the water cooler and the cat to deliver it to her.

aaronbourque
2006-03-08, 11:29 PM
She was given an order in regards to the order (belkar included) She fulfilled that order. Upon the fullfillment of the order to "if at all possible deliver them to trial OR if absolutely necessary (but try really hard not to) kill them in the field"

That's not what she was ordered to do.

In fact, reading back, we don't know what she was ordered for certain. "Mr. Scruffy" suggests she try real real hard to bring them back alive, which she grudgingly accepts.

She might have interpreted the orders in many different ways, hence the "bathe my blades with the blood" of the guilty comment.

. . .

She loses the right to determine "what they deserve" as punishment and has to stand down. At least thats what any sane paladin who follows laws, is disciplined, and orderly should do.

. . .

She's probably stretching it, but it's not much of a stretch to get where she's coming from, either, wanting to smite Belkar. He killed a guard, had her chase him through half the castle and fought her without (she thinks) anything resembling mercy, tormenting her and her philosophy all the way. He brought her to the point where she's not too keen to "try real real hard" not to bathe her blades in his blood.

But even so, that's still not necessarily breaking her vows, or altering her alignment, or an Evil act.