PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New Crafting Rules

Floorlock
2019-11-27, 04:10 PM
So....as everyone knows, Eberron: Rising from the Last War came out on the 19th.

With it came the much anticipated class that is most associated with crafting: The Artificer.

However, one of the main reasons I personally had so much anticipation for the book was because of something Jeremy Crawford stated in an interview leading up to the book's release.

He stated that the book would have all new crafting rules.

I opened the book to find that what he said was....technically true. There was a blurb of sorts on one of the pages about how dragonshards can be used to make magic items. In a practical sense, this doesn't do a whole lot for me. Don't get me wrong...it's neat, but, it isn't what I was hoping for.

So now I'm turning to the world of homebrew.

My question is: Does anyone out there have good homebrew rules to either supplement or even completely overhaul the crafting aspects of 5e? Or...if you don't have rules yourself...have you seen any that you find to be somewhat decent?

I'm looking for the best homebrew solutions out there towards crafting both mundane and magic items in Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Sparky McDibben
2019-11-27, 07:27 PM
I guess my question here is what you expect those rules to do. If you're a DM, do you have a player pushing for this? Or are you a player who wants to play a crafting minigame?

Floorlock
2019-11-27, 10:33 PM
I guess my question here is what you expect those rules to do. If you're a DM, do you have a player pushing for this? Or are you a player who wants to play a crafting minigame?

I'm a DM. I have a player in one of my campaigns that is playing a Dwarven Forge Cleric. Part of his interest in the class was the aspect of crafting.

Additionally, one of my players in upcoming stuff will probably be playing a battle-smith artificer...with similar hopes about crafting.

At one point it was just about mundane items...but, they quickly lose their luster as a campaign gets up in levels.

My forge cleric player would like to have more ability to craft magic items... and he wants an end-game goal (Projected 20th level campaign) to be to craft a magic item of legendary status...something amazing to leave his mark on the world.

However, the crafting rules presented in the DMG aren't particularly involved. For one thing, they require an immense amount of downtime...more than many campaigns ever really attain. Additionally, they don't particularly have much player involvement. The rules remind me of how the Ranger exploration features work.... they can technically make it so that your character is extremely proficient at their job.... but, they do so by bypassing the part of the game you're interested in. The Ranger features essentially skip rolls and exploration to say that you simply succeed...and the Crafting rules skip rolls and other potential concepts to say that you simply succeed after a certain amount of down time.

I don't know. It just doesn't really meet the mark for a lot of us. Thing is.... I don't 100% know what I'm looking for to replace it. I was hoping the community either had something or had come across some rules that worked for them.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-27, 10:49 PM
I reccomend integrating skill into the process to make the player feel the pressure, additionally having the XGtE ingredients where you need to hunt down specific monsters to get what you need to make the item can make for actual work being put into the process often hand waved by down time passing.

Zhorn
2019-11-27, 11:13 PM
The time aspect was a big part I looked to change in my version
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?579877-Adjusted-Crafting-Rules