View Full Version : Advice for making a Warforged Artificer (Battle Smith)

Sarone
2019-11-28, 12:31 AM
Ok, it has been alone time since I have done anything with D&D. With the new Eberron Book out, I want to see f he creative juices still flow...

My plan is to create a Warforged Artificer based on an old character from the old 3.5 books. I would also like to keep an option to add spellforged should that old prestige class make a comeback.

Having looks at the new Artificer class, I like the battle smith the most. Being able to bring in a pet to help flank and protect is something I have always liked to do.

I would like to be able to use a two handed, pole arm-type weapon like a glaive or halberd. I addition, I would like to figure out a way to either add a wand to it or have it be able to fire ray spells from it (kind of like the Ma'Tok from Star Gate).

What do you all think?

Sarone
2019-11-28, 12:32 AM
Character Sheet

Placeholder for the Character Sheet

Sarone
2019-11-28, 12:34 AM
Notes, Quotes, and Ideas

Placeholder for the Notes, Quotes, and Ideas. Also useful for others looking to make a similar character.

Pretty achievable to pull off easily, just leave your Dex at 2/3 and switch to a polearm of your choice at 3rd when you get martial profs. Make it an infused item and you can cast your spells through it like a tool set, so any ranged damage cantrip or leveled spell is now your staff weapon. Now all you need is a mechanised book end to make a zat (not even going to try and spell the full name).

Dork_Forge
2019-11-28, 12:36 AM
Ok, it has been alone time since I have done anything with D&D. With the new Eberron Book out, I want to see f he creative juices still flow...

My plan is to create a Warforged Artificer based on an old character from the old 3.5 books. I would also like to keep an option to add spellforged should that old prestige class make a comeback.

Having looks at the new Artificer class, I like the battle smith the most. Being able to bring in a pet to help flank and protect is something I have always liked to do.

I would like to be able to use a two handed, pole arm-type weapon like a glaive or halberd. I addition, I would like to figure out a way to either add a wand to it or have it be able to fire ray spells from it (kind of like the Ma'Tok from Star Gate).

What do you all think?

Pretty achievable to pull off easily, just leave your Dex at 2/3 and switch to a polearm of your choice at 3rd when you get martial profs. Make it an infused item and you can cast your spells through it like a tool set, so any ranged damage cantrip or leveled spell is now your staff weapon. Now all you need is a mechanised book end to make a zat (not even going to try and spell the full name).

Sarone
2019-11-28, 01:02 AM

Nice. Based on our conversation in the Artificer guide, I am likely going for a minionmancer/beast master type character.

Just wondering, how are feats and Ability Score Increases down?

Dork_Forge
2019-11-28, 02:23 AM
Nice. Based on our conversation in the Artificer guide, I am likely going for a minionmancer/beast master type character.

Just wondering, how are feats and Ability Score Increases down?

Feats depends on what else you want and what your race will be, in general I'd dump Str (pick up Athletics) and have Dex sitting at around 2/3. Max Int, Con of around +2 (3 if you can swing it) and a Wis of +1 will be enough to get by with Perception prof. Feats I like the Healer feat to match the flavour of the Battle Smith, Magic Initiate to pump the casting (2 cantrips is a bit restricting).

Anderlith
2019-11-28, 02:32 AM
I’m curious. Do you plan on using a Goa’uld symbol/Jaffa Mark as your Warforged’s makers mark?

Teaguethebean
2019-11-28, 03:04 AM
Using point buy you can pull a stat array of

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 12
Cha 8

You could instead have a 10 cha and 10 wis but the array remains rather similar. Until level 3 use cantrips and a sheild but after hitting Level 3 you can pick up a glaive and use int for your attacks. At level 4 you can take Polearm master though it isn't very necessary as you will be using your bonus actions to command your steel defender. So instead I reccomend getting Warcaster for even stronger concentration saves and the ability to cast your fire bolts while holding the glaive (could flavor it as channeling them through it). By level 5 you are a powerful melee warrior with spell casting and a threatening presence on the battlefield. While wearing half plate you will have an AC of 18 because of your natural +1 ac. You could then stick with pure artificer which works fine as arcane surge benefits you greatly with the action free healing or damage. Though you could also dip 2/3 levels of fighter, defense or great weapon fighting style, action surge, and then either maneuvers or Eldritch knight for more spells and not losing out on as many caster progression levels are all amazing goodies for a battlesmith.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-28, 03:13 AM
Using point buy you can pull a stat array of

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 12
Cha 8

You could instead have a 10 cha and 10 wis but the array remains rather similar. Until level 3 use cantrips and a sheild but after hitting Level 3 you can pick up a glaive and use int for your attacks. At level 4 you can take Polearm master though it isn't very necessary as you will be using your bonus actions to command your steel defender. So instead I reccomend getting Warcaster for even stronger concentration saves and the ability to cast your fire bolts while holding the glaive (could flavor it as channeling them through it). By level 5 you are a powerful melee warrior with spell casting and a threatening presence on the battlefield. While wearing half plate you will have an AC of 18 because of your natural +1 ac. You could then stick with pure artificer which works fine as arcane surge benefits you greatly with the action free healing or damage. Though you could also dip 2/3 levels of fighter, defense or great weapon fighting style, action surge, and then either maneuvers or Eldritch knight for more spells and not losing out on as many caster progression levels are all amazing goodies for a battlesmith.
You odn't need the Warcaster feat for managing your spells, an Artificer needs to cast through either tools or an infused item no matter what the components of the spell are. So as long as the Glaive is infused it can just be used as a focus for Firebolt etc. (you also wouldn't need Warcaster on a normal Glaive user, you can just hold the Glaive with one hand whilst you cast).

Teaguethebean
2019-11-28, 03:40 AM
You odn't need the Warcaster feat for managing your spells, an Artificer needs to cast through either tools or an infused item no matter what the components of the spell are. So as long as the Glaive is infused it can just be used as a focus for Firebolt etc. (you also wouldn't need Warcaster on a normal Glaive user, you can just hold the Glaive with one hand whilst you cast).

Oh shoot I hadn't even known that! That makes my wandslinger I'm gonna play enjoy getting the infusion on a wand available before Level 5! Thanks!

Dork_Forge
2019-11-28, 02:45 PM
Oh shoot I hadn't even known that! That makes my wandslinger I'm gonna play enjoy getting the infusion on a wand available before Level 5! Thanks!

The good thing about wandslinger is that the Wand still acts as a normal Arcane Focus for any dips etc. Hope you have fun with your build!

xen
2019-11-28, 10:57 PM
The recent Rune Knight Fighter UA will do a decent approximation of the Spell Carved Warforged prestige class you are wanting to add in. Tack on 3 levels of fighter and that should do the trick.

Sarone
2019-11-28, 11:13 PM
The recent Rune Knight Fighter UA will do a decent approximation of the Spell Carved Warforged prestige class you are wanting to add in. Tack on 3 levels of fighter and that should do the trick.

What book is that supposed to be out of?

Also, How would someone create a character using the Adventurer's League rules?

Teaguethebean
2019-11-28, 11:40 PM
What book is that supposed to be out of?

Also, How would someone create a character using the Adventurer's League rules?

UA isn't a book it is playtest material. Additionally if you are using AL remember you cannot use any spells in xanathars guide as the +1 book you are using is RFtLW

wallyd2
2019-12-02, 11:24 AM

What do you all think?

You and I are on the same line of thinking! I also built a Warforged Battle Smith. In fact, I put out a video of my Artificer build that includes leveling up, backstory, and why I made some of the choices... check it out here, if you'd like: D&D 5E Warforged Battle Smith Artificer (https://youtu.be/-XJk-SvlN64)

Hope this helps!