PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Steel Defender, Homunculus, and Spell Storing Items?

Citadel97501
2019-11-28, 05:57 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if these creatures can operate your spell storing item? On my first look it looks like they can't do this since you can spend a bonus action to make them do an action "on their stat block"? I assume this was to prevent this move but its kind of annoying :(. If I am wrong please tell me :)

Tiny Servant seems to be the only way to have the additional action to do this due to a difference in limitations?

stoutstien
2019-11-28, 08:33 AM
The SSI has an unique action it is not use an item or even active a magical item so anything that can 'hold' the SSI and take an action shouldn't have a problem.

Will take your bonus action to get them to active it though.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-28, 08:41 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if these creatures can operate your spell storing item? On my first look it looks like they can't do this since you can spend a bonus action to make them do an action "on their stat block"? I assume this was to prevent this move but its kind of annoying :(. If I am wrong please tell me :)

Tiny Servant seems to be the only way to have the additional action to do this due to a difference in limitations?

The limitation on a SD/HS's actions appears to only apply to combat: outside of combat they simply "follow your orders" which seems to mean they can take any actions any other creature could, including using the SSI. Of course this is of limited value: outside of combat you don't have as much action economy pressure anyway.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-28, 11:33 PM
Of course this is of limited value: outside of combat you don't have as much action economy pressure anyway.

Agreed the only real use I can see is making someone invisible or Levitate while they concentrate on their own spell.

moonfly7
2019-11-29, 08:08 PM
I think they can. Monsters and Move never lost all the actions they can take, just their attacks and special ones. Like, we all can agree the gladiator NPC has the use item action, but it doesn't say it can.

Chaosmancer
2019-11-29, 11:02 PM
I'd let it happen. Nothing I can think of that would be too broken by letting them activate those items to cast spells.

Sherlockpwns
2019-11-30, 12:17 AM
I had this same question today.

How broken is debatable. For instance your steel defender, who has a small ton of hp, could cast warding Bond and stay out of the fight, effectively doubling your hp. It also lets you basically at will cast faerie fire as a bonus action. Again, for best results your caster would stay away from the action.

Even a homunculus casting scorching Ray 10 times as a bonus action is probably broken.

Simply put, raw, the homunculus and defender can take these actions and I suspect house ruling that they can will create some massive power gains. Tiny servants are probably better for this, create the device specific for them to use and gain the joy of them casting acid arrow or scorching Ray etc.