PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Craft artifact salient ability and creating an 'epic' Warlock item

skunk3
2019-11-28, 06:40 AM
In my current game our party just became level 0 deities. Since my character is big into crafting, I took Craft Artifact as my salient ability. What I am thinking about doing is creating some item that greatly boosts my Warlock's power. I am thinking of perhaps something like a gemstone that can be set into a ring that amplifies Warlock powers, such as Eldritch Blast dice, Eldritch Blast dice size, saving throw DCs for invocations, etc.

At first I was worried about being too power hungry but then I realized that we are very high level and I have the ability to make freakin' artifacts, so isn't that the point?

At minimum, I'd like this item to change Eldritch Blast dice type from d6's to something higher. D8's? D10's? Who knows? For the sake of an example, how much do you think this item should cost: (Upgrades EB die type to D8) + (Adds 2 EB die) + (Adds +4 to invocation DCs) ?

noob
2019-11-28, 06:53 AM
In my current game our party just became level 0 deities. Since my character is big into crafting, I took Craft Artifact as my salient ability. What I am thinking about doing is creating some item that greatly boosts my Warlock's power. I am thinking of perhaps something like a gemstone that can be set into a ring that amplifies Warlock powers, such as Eldritch Blast dice, Eldritch Blast dice size, saving throw DCs for invocations, etc.

At first I was worried about being too power hungry but then I realized that we are very high level and I have the ability to make freakin' artifacts, so isn't that the point?

At minimum, I'd like this item to change Eldritch Blast dice type from d6's to something higher. D8's? D10's? Who knows? For the sake of an example, how much do you think this item should cost: (Upgrades EB die type to D8) + (Adds 2 EB die) + (Adds +4 to invocation DCs) ?

There is a precedent for Artefacts directly giving high level class features.
Such as the shield of the sun which gives the casting of a level 20 paladin.
You might according to this precedent make an artefact that gives the eldritch blast of a level 20 warlock.(since you are level 0 it means that you go from a 1d6 eldritch blast to directly a 9d6 eldritch blast)
Artefacts sadly lacks any sort of concept of cost so you will need _ gp and _ xp to create an artefact(which is really weird) but since you are a deity you can create an artefact.
Or maybe you are interpreting the ability as if it was some variant of epic item crafting.

skunk3
2019-11-28, 07:35 AM
Well, this is a gestalt game we're playing in and pretty damn high-powered but not ultra-optimized or munchkin'ed out as far as the party goes. My EB is 20d6 right now.

There are existing items that add to EB dice (Chausuble of Fell Power), and items that can boost CHA-based save DC's (Veil of Allure), but I don't know about any item that changes damage dies. Ultimately it will of course come down to what my DM rules but I posted here because I wanted a counter-argument ready if he quotes me some insane amount. ;)

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-28, 07:39 AM
Small problem: quasi-deities with divine rank 0 don't get salient divine abilities. How are you picking craft artifact?

noob
2019-11-28, 07:40 AM
Well, this is a gestalt game we're playing in and pretty damn high-powered but not ultra-optimized or munchkin'ed out as far as the party goes. My EB is 20d6 right now.

There are existing items that add to EB dice (Chausuble of Fell Power), and items that can boost CHA-based save DC's (Veil of Allure), but I don't know about any item that changes damage dies. Ultimately it will of course come down to what my DM rules but I posted here because I wanted a counter-argument ready if he quotes me some insane amount. ;)

How do you have a 20d6 eldritch blast at level 0?
As far as I know the highest base damage eldritch blast at level 0 is 3d6 if you are a warlock 0/hellfire warlock 0(I believe it is rather hard to qualify for hellfire warlock at level 0 but it might be possible with the right items maybe).

Small problem: quasi-deities with divine rank 0 don't get salient divine abilities. How are you picking craft artifact?

which is how I knew they were talking about class levels when they told they were level 0 and not about divine rank: they have a divine rank of at least 1 since they have a sda.

Elricaltovilla
2019-11-28, 07:42 AM
As far as I know the highest base damage eldritch blast at level 0 is 3d6 if you are a warlock 0/hellfire warlock 0(I believe it is rather hard to qualify for hellfire warlock at level 0 but it might be possible with the right items maybe).

He isn't level 0 he is Divine Rank 0. That's a completely different thing.

skunk3
2019-11-28, 07:42 AM

That's a good point... my DM must have overlooked that somehow! Weird.

skunk3
2019-11-28, 07:46 AM

which is how I knew they were talking about class levels when they told they were level 0 and not about divine rank: they have a divine rank of at least 1 since they have a sda.

It's a gestalt game. Warlock level 26, 10 levels of Enlightened Spirit, Greater Chausuble of Fell Power, and 6 levels in a prestige class that advances "+1 level of existing class" at every even-numbered level.

noob
2019-11-28, 07:58 AM
It's a gestalt game. Warlock level 26, 10 levels of Enlightened Spirit, Greater Chausuble of Fell Power, and 6 levels in a prestige class that advances "+1 level of existing class" at every even-numbered level.

So you are not level 0.
Or you have negative levels in some class?
Do you have a bunch of negative commoner levels?(great way to stay at level 0 while gaining extra class features)

satorian
2019-11-28, 09:17 AM
So you are not level 0.
Or you have negative levels in some class?
Do you have a bunch of negative commoner levels?(great way to stay at level 0 while gaining extra class features)

Divine Rank 0 is not level 0. He is Divine Rank 0, not level 0.

skunk3
2019-11-29, 01:33 PM
Update:

DM houseruled that we got a Salient Ability at DR0 because of the nature of how we actually ascended and the fact that we personally spoke with the demiurge who more or less created the multiverse. So tl;dr - I DO have Craft Artifact.

Malroth
2019-11-29, 01:48 PM
Biggest weakness of Warlocks is versatility. You have very few Invocations known and you do the same actions from combat to combat. Artifact I'd create first would be to either allow me to swap out Invocations on the fly or to add in powers like Shapechange or Gate which vastly expand your avalible options.

skunk3
2019-11-29, 02:06 PM
Biggest weakness of Warlocks is versatility. You have very few Invocations known and you do the same actions from combat to combat. Artifact I'd create first would be to either allow me to swap out Invocations on the fly or to add in powers like Shapechange or Gate which vastly expand your avalible options.

I actually have plenty of invocations because I also took 10 levels in Enlightened Spirit, and any invocations (or shapes/essences) that it gives you that are unwanted are retrainable to something else, which is what I did for most of it. I've also taken the feat Extra Invocation twice, I believe. I have a lot of options on the battlefield but most of the time I find that it's most effective to do some sort of blast every round because it's virtually guaranteed damage output, and while 20d6 isn't amazing by epic level, I do have the epic Warlock feat that allows me to blast twice per round, and when you consider the various blast shapes and essences, two blasts in one round is pretty darn decent IMO... or when I am using Eldritch Glaive and can take up to 4 iterative attacks, which will usually hit since I'm targeting touch AC. Trust me when I say that my character is a fairly tough cookie even given the fact that we weren't ultra-optimizing our characters. My main weakness right now is my saving throws and I plan to upgrade my vest of resistance +5 to an epic +10 version as soon as I can afford it. I also have a Luck Stone that I plan on customizing to up that luck bonus. Aside from that my gear and build is pretty nuts. I do fear antimagic fields though.

Bphill561
2019-11-30, 11:41 AM
The dragonmonicon has a minor artifact that maximizes all of a dragons breath weapons (maybe spells to, I forget). Try to replicate that for eldritch blast. Not rolling dice is better than increasing the die type. I know breath weapons are usually less frequent, but at least it is something similar. Price no clue.

I would also be tempted to use you ability to make artifact to convert your current equipment. It is much more sturdy if everything is an artifact.