PDA

View Full Version : The Marathoning Order Of The Stick!!!!

notmollymormon
2007-10-19, 02:58 PM
I have never read a single panel of The Order of the Stick.

Amazed? Shocked! DOWN RIGHT GOING CRAZY?!!!!!

You must be saying to yourself, "What is wrong with you?! HOW CAN YOU HAVE NOT READ THE MOST ABSOLUTELY FUNNY, MARVELOUS, DnD GEEKSTASTIC AND SEXY (I added that part) COMIC IN THE WORLD?!!!!"

Well, I haven't. Maybe it's because I am not "THE MOST ABSOLUTELY FUNNY, MARVELOUS, DnD GEEKSTASTIC AND SEXY" girl in the world, or maybe I was busy falling in love with Goblins ...

Anyways, there are 496 panels, and I am going to read them all, like now, well like in 5 mins, after I pee ( I know you didn't want to know that) and get something to drink, maybe pee again from all the fluid I had previously sucked down then sit and read EVERYTHING!

Wish me luck!!!

-Not Molly Mormon

Yeril
2007-10-19, 03:06 PM
Have fun and enjoy it, although once you get to the end you will find the wait between updates is hellish :smalleek:

Not because it takes too long, but because it seems to take too long :smallsmile:

Cyric2
2007-10-19, 03:11 PM
I salute you, brave solider.

Half-blood
2007-10-19, 03:29 PM
I too, concur. May your ability to read, and (Hopefully) fast Computer Be great enough to Cleave through the Many pages of funny dry humor like a... like a +5 Vorpal Longsword through a goblin.

hyperfreak497
2007-10-19, 03:34 PM
OotS was actually my very first webcomic. From there I discovered Erfworld and Goblins. Then began my epic search for the best webcomics in the world...

And now I routinely read Home on the Strange, Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic, Questionable Content, The Adventures of Dr. McNinja, and, of course, Erfworld, Goblins, and OotS.

OotS is probably one of my favorites out of the list, simply for the fact that it never gets old (I took Favored Enemy (Recurring Punchlines)).

FujinAkari
2007-10-19, 03:45 PM
Have fun and enjoy it, although once you get to the end you will find the wait between updates is hellish :smalleek:

Not because it takes too long, but because it seems to take too long :smallsmile:

She reads Goblins, she'll think OOTS is angelic.

Fragon
2007-10-19, 03:46 PM
5 minutes have passed. Have you finished all 496 comics ?

boomwolf
2007-10-19, 03:46 PM
have fun.
i did the same thing, but when it was on strip ~350. took me three days.
well, its a great comic, with so many plot twists and emotional points (yes, even as a comedy is it very emotional at some point) that you simply can't wait for new strips.

so, i reccomand you to read only a part now, then slowly advancig. waiting for a new strip is a bad feeling (you know how it is like that there is a TV show taht you really love and the episode ends on a cliffhanger and you can't wait till next week to see it? almost every second strip here is like that.)

Ezlo
2007-10-19, 03:53 PM
Five minutes??

Good luck and God Speed brave soldier, that mission is suicide.

leo_neil316
2007-10-19, 04:01 PM
Psshaw, order of the stick is (uberly brilliant) easy streak.

Go try on the (3000+ strip long) sluggy freelance or schlok merc and everyone will be impressed.

And probally chipping in for your 80th birthday present aswell by that point ;)

(note, the above comments were a joke.... true, but a joke nonetheless)

But yeah, reading right through the archives is allways fun. No having to wait days for the outcome of a clifhanger moment. Enjoy and see you in a few.

Oberon
2007-10-19, 04:16 PM
yeah... it's not gonna take 5 mins, its gonna take you all day. But you probably won;t be able to stop anyway. Have fun!

Studoku
2007-10-19, 04:28 PM
I read the whole oots archive in 2 sessions, taking about 5 hours in total. That was a few months ago at the start of the AC seige. I 've also read the whole ctrl alt del archive in one session two years ago.

Oots was my second webcomic (ctrl alt del was my first). From Oots, I discovered Erfworld, goblins, partially clips (from oots), sluggy (from partially clips), 1/0 and DM of the rings.

Fenrirs Ragnarok
2007-10-19, 04:32 PM
Good luck!
That reminds me, it's about time for me to re-read the entire archive again. :smallwink:

TheMeanDM
2007-10-19, 04:41 PM
I once read Girl Genius from start to finish.

8+ hours, holy crap

Luckily, I never had to do that for OoTS....can't imagine needing to!

Toxic Avenger
2007-10-19, 04:42 PM
5 minutes have passed. Have you finished all 496 comics ?
Five minutes??

yeah... it's not gonna take 5 mins, its gonna take you all day. But you probably won;t be able to stop anyway. Have fun!Because it's my job to point out the painfully obvious:

You all might want to re-read the OP. Not Molly Mormon seemed to indicate that she'd be starting the marathon five minutes after posting, not that she'd be finishing in five minutes.

boomwolf
2007-10-19, 04:47 PM
Five minutes??

she said she will start in five minutes, not finish. aka-five minutes after i post this, i am going to start reading all the strips of OOTS from start to 496.

((with some luck 497 will come before she will finish.))

notmollymormon
2007-10-19, 05:09 PM
O horrors of horrors!!!! It's 4:06 pm and the page will not let me go forward any more!!!!! I have done the whole dance, refresh, stop, forward back ward. AHHHHHHH :smallfurious: OH THOR GRANT ME A MIRACLE!!!!!! I read up to Panel number 196!! I going to a juice box and come back to this when it wants me back

boomwolf
2007-10-19, 05:11 PM
196?!?!
already!?!
****. thats fast.

Cyric2
2007-10-19, 05:12 PM
O horrors of horrors!!!! It's 4:06 pm and the page will not let me go forward any more!!!!! I have done the whole dance, refresh, stop, forward back ward. AHHHHHHH :smallfurious: OH THOR GRANT ME A MIRACLE!!!!!! I read up to Panel number 196!! I going to a juice box and come back to this when it wants me back

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0197.html

When you want the next strip and can't, just change the number in the address bar. ;)

Alex12
2007-10-19, 05:16 PM
OotS was actually my very first webcomic. From there I discovered Erfworld and Goblins. Then began my epic search for the best webcomics in the world...

www.schlockmercenary.com

Updates every day. Has been since June 2000. My first webcomic, and still my favorite (OotS is second)
The art does get better, I promise.

DomaDoma
2007-10-19, 05:30 PM
She reads Goblins, she'll think OOTS is angelic.

*snort* Too right. Being forced to contemplate the cosmic delays that arise from computer repairs fused with Thunt being Thunt... it's the kind of thing that inspires a SAN check. If you're in withdrawal, anyway.

factotum
2007-10-19, 05:40 PM
196?!?!
already!?!
****. thats fast.

Two hours for 196 strips doesn't seem too bad--that's around 35 seconds per strip!

notmollymormon
2007-10-19, 05:43 PM
I changed the url to the Panel forward by one number.

*tricky tricky*

Later I saw a post on how to get around my problem for the page not advancing which was the same idea.

Thank Cyric2! Great Minds think alike!

†Seer†
2007-10-19, 06:09 PM
*prepares a gift of his cookies for when you have finished* The recipe alone is better than most other cookies.

kirbsys
2007-10-19, 06:14 PM
I came in at 298 and I didn't stop till I had finished. I started at eight and tried to stop twice, I couldn't fall asleep either time so I just ended up finishing it. By the way, welcome.

Tyrmatt
2007-10-19, 06:33 PM
Questionable Content is definitely my favourite Romance/Sit-com styled comic with OotS and Dominic Deegan bringing up the fantasy. Xkcd archives are gold if you've never read it before as well.

Vectner
2007-10-19, 06:48 PM
I just started reading oots last week. I was pretty busy so it took me about 5 days to get through it all. I had previously picked up on a panel here and there from links on other forums, but the week before last I ran into this strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html and it just struck me that this was pretty cool. I read the next couple of strips, and then wanted to know what led to the afore mentioned strip. I actually hit the first comic button by accident, but couldn't stop reading it from there.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-19, 06:58 PM
I was so bored at work one Saturday, that I did the exact same thing. Although having done the same thing a couple of days past was a task in itself.

OoTS is like episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or enter favorite TV show here) ; once you see one, you want to go back and see all of them all over again. =_)

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-19, 07:01 PM
I found OotS via a link in someone's sig on Wizards.com/dnd forums. (which I inceidentially haven't visited in a year and a half). You will enjoy yourself.

notmollymormon
2007-10-21, 12:43 PM
+Seers+ where are my cookies?

falterfire
2007-10-21, 06:56 PM
I found it through someone linking to the potion-omics strip in some discussion or other. Decided to read the rest of the strip. Very, very glad I did.

The Bushranger
2007-10-21, 07:53 PM
www.schlockmercenary.com

Updates every day. Has been since June 2000. My first webcomic, and still my favorite (OotS is second)
The art does get better, I promise.

Howdy, stranger. :smallsmile:

The first webcomic I read was Arthur, King of Time and Space (http://www.arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/), found via the artist's Doctor Who fanfiction cartoons. From there it was on to Schlock Mercenary...and then the world!! Mwahahaha!!

*ahem*

Also reccomended are:
General Protection Fault (http://www.gpf-comics.com/)
Evil, Inc. (http://www.evil-comic.com/)
Starslip Crisis (http://www.starslipcrisis.com/)
Irregular Webcomic (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/)
Darths & Droids (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/)
and my current nominee for "best comic",
Crimson Dark (http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/index.php?view=comic&strip_id=1).

geekyhedgehog
2007-10-21, 08:47 PM
OOTS=AWESOME

The End

Green Bean
2007-10-21, 08:54 PM
I got linked to the first strip at the PvP (www.pvponline.com) forums. I read half of them, went to a party, came back, and finished the rest of them. If I remember correctly, I finished when the OotS was in jail. And I have to admit, it's a lot more fun when the time between updates is the time it takes for the image to load... :smalltongue: