PDA

View Full Version : What type of character would suit this campaign?

Rfkannen
2019-11-28, 03:13 PM
A gm I know is talking about starting a new campaign and I've been debating what classes or characters would be good or bad for it.

- World is bassically a fantasy version of the latter part of the roman empire (starting to fall but not fully yet)

- Campaign is going to be highly political and high rp, but also a lot of small dungeon crawls.

- Magic is rare and super admired.

- lot of downtime, using xanathars rules

- big sandbox, no real preplanned story, very character driven

- I know the gm and she plays a lot with backstory stuff, warlock patrons, cleric gods, rivals, noble families, all that stuff comes up a lot if you put it in the backstory (very fun!)

- Players all have played dnd but not together before

- Low magic item count, probbably none till like level 7

Any tips on what be good or bad to play in this?

moonfly7
2019-11-28, 03:25 PM
A gm I know is talking about starting a new campaign and I've been debating what classes or characters would be good or bad for it.

- World is bassically a fantasy version of the latter part of the roman empire (starting to fall but not fully yet)

- Campaign is going to be highly political and high rp, but also a lot of small dungeon crawls.

Basically anything honestly, from a purely historical stand point, it's a fun time period. Here's my advice: be aware some classes will probably come with baggage/story, especially barbarian and druid. The Romans would have already fought, beaten, and by now abandoned what's left of the celts as they retreat to protect the Empire. So any druid is probably going to be bitter and an enemy of Rome, which is honestly a fun character motivation. Barbarians, well they're linked to the outlaws, raging and the wild and such. You'd be more likely to find a barbarian among the vizigoths invading Rome and it's other "savage" enemies than in its pristine city's.
Keep in mind that all male citizens of Rome had to serve in the military, so a soldier background would definitly be applicable and might be mandatory, so fighter could be handy here. You could also play a slave and/or a gladiator, which could actually let you be a barbarian in Rome easier.
A cleric could be a priest really easy, though paladin fits the military culture better.
Now, you could play a rebellious Greek like a Spartan warrior or something, that would be a very interesting character concept.
Or, you could ask your DM of you could use the new Artificer class that was just made SRD in Ebberon. Rome was the center of scientific advancement and break through, so an artificer, even in a low magic game, would be possible, albeight rare, in Rome.
Hope my random historical and DND knowledge helps!

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-28, 03:48 PM
The more social skills matter, the more Bards shine. Some of the other Charisma based classes can also but Bards get soooo many skills its different than a Warlock spamming Persuasion.

Rogues come in handy in city heavy campaigns also.

Expected
2019-11-28, 03:53 PM
The more social skills matter, the more Bards shine. Some of the other Charisma based classes can also but Bards get soooo many skills its different than a Warlock spamming Persuasion.

Rogues come in handy in city heavy campaigns also.

I second this. If it's a high RP campaign, definitely go with a skill monkey or party face. As fun as it would be to be a Barbarian (like the ones who sacked Rome at the fall of the empire) it would get boring fast because Barbarians have hardly anything to offer outside of combat.

Anderlith
2019-11-28, 04:59 PM
Paladin of Sol Invictus/Mithras

moonfly7
2019-11-28, 05:11 PM
Also keep in mind that rome had massive sewers, and a predictable design in city lay out and in how the people acted. This kind of campaign would actually greatly benefit a ranger with the favored terrain city, and could be played as law enforcement. Take prodigy for expertise (or use the new unearthed arcana optional features) and think about taking persuasion, as a diplomat/ guardsmen of Rome it would matter a lot. Rogue is also fabulous.
The sewer thing matters because you can use them, and predictably the same city layouts and thin alleyways to hide and navigate.

Safety Sword
2019-11-29, 03:15 AM
Paladin of Sol Invictus/Mithras

+1 Totally beat me to it.

Delph
2019-11-29, 05:58 AM

- I know the gm and she plays a lot with backstory stuff, warlock patrons, cleric gods, rivals, noble families, all that stuff comes up a lot if you put it in the backstory (very fun!)

Hi I have an idea:
Race - Variant Human (+1 Dex +1 Int) +Feat Observant (+1 int)
Background - Investigator
Class - Wizard (Bladedancer, but coud be anything) X + Rogue 1

Expertize in Investigation + Arcana

I'll get insane investigation bonus, huge arcana and perception - I call it "Sherlock Holmes in fantasy"

And expertize in Arcana give you an ability to make your own magic item, when you have many downtimes...

HiveStriker
2019-11-29, 08:45 AM

If you want to be borderline outlander, then Sorcerer 4 / Warlock 3 with Subtle can be a beast: short rest mind manipulation / reading can be crazy when you can use them often, as well as utility spells like Comprehend Languages or Invisibility or Enhance Ability.
You could even put some drawback on yourself by going Draconic (you'll have to justify those scales XD).
Of course, if (or rather once) you get discovered as being such a magical creature, you'll draw jealousy and more. So may lead to a world-antagonistic character. Can be fun. :)

In general, Trickster Cleric, Glamour/Lore Bard, Sorcerer with Subtle and Tome Warlock are all well suited if fullcasters are fine to be. Druid especially Moon one can actually work fairly well, although in a different way (relying much more on information gathering and indirect manipulation than direct persuasion and the like).

If the DM would rather have his players be on par with the world, aka low magic, then...
- Assassin: the most "social/manipulative" of all martials: can lead the world, potentially, if given time enough (and high enough level).
- Battlemaster: with feats in play, you can perfectly make yourself a charismatic character, like an army general trying to get into politics to save his country through power play.
- Monk (any): they deal "magical effects" that come from vital energy, so it may be more acceptable in that setting. Open Hand is the most fitting of course (less magical, lvl 11 fitting a negociation emissary), but low magic means Shadow and 4E becomes "more powerful" than usual in that setting. ^^
Plus provided you get high enough level Monks get great features for social (including ability to understand all languages).
- Beastmaser Ranger: ability to speak with animals and special relationship with one can be great. Would double check with DM if there is any chance that exploration related abilities can be useful (or if DM can make a custom "urban" environment).

Rfkannen
2019-11-29, 07:04 PM
snip

Really cool historical advise!! I'll deffinitly feel that stuff in mind, some great character ideas!

snip.

I'm playing a bard in a diffrent campaign, but skills would be good in something like this, I'll try to get a bunch!

snip. I like the idea of a magic expert in a low magic world!

snil

Oh I like the dragon sorcerer idea, that could be a lot of fun! The gm is allowing magical characters (made very clear low magic was for the world not the PCs)

Nikushimi
2019-11-29, 07:55 PM
Personally, I feel that the archetypes for Rogue in Xanathar's Guide would make for good choices.

They have some pretty good skills to help in social type situations I feel, or at the very least they have the lore behind them.

Inquisitive and Mastermind especially. Just me personally is what I'd probably go with.

opaopajr
2019-12-01, 07:06 AM
A Fighter Soldier! :smallcool: You got connections to one of the main power sources in a sunsetting empire, the respect of most who fondly remember imperial glory days, yet not too close to lethal in-fighting politics.

Honestly, any character concept would work in such a sandbox setting. But a Background will really set the tone of your PC's experience. That's due to Background connections, Background Features, and Background's default Lifestyle having a larger effect than "damage output."

Also a Fighter, outside of armor, will have more disposable cash to invest in a retinue of servants, skilled and unskilled. Casters who have to scribe spells will have those costs, along with making spare books, just in case. Clerics & Rogues classes do have an advantage here, but often have organizational claims on their freetime.

Fighters are a bit less attached so they can go forth to kill & take stuff, er, adventure! more. :smallbiggrin: Get a few hirelings, some cheap armor & weaponry, and go adventure!