PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Going Sunny Side Up On the Highway to Hell

Agailius
2019-11-28, 05:53 PM
So, my DnD group is about to head into Decent Into Avernus, and I've decided to go Sun Soul Monk because don't stop don't stop we're in luck now. I picked Protector Aasimar since I find the added radiant damage and flight synergies really well with the Monk, especially with the Sun Soul subclass.

Here's what I got after rolling for stats.
Str: 13
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 9
Wis: 16
Cha: 16

All in all, not bad rolls for a level 1 char. But word on the grapevine has told me that the Sun Soul monk is somewhat mediocre in terms of scaling in it's later levels compared to, say, the Open Palm subclass.

Given this, what might be some good options for me to multiclass into, and why? With my character specing so much into getting access to radiant damage, part of me wonders if it might be a good idea to actually multiclass into--le gasp--Paladin so I can top that off with Smite damage.

But what's ya'll opinions? Think there's other classes I could do better with multiclassing, or do you think it a wise idea to instead just stay focused to the monk class?

Teaguethebean
2019-11-28, 07:26 PM
I would agree that paladin would be very good sadly vengeance paladin Hunters mark wouldn't work with your sun bolts.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-28, 09:06 PM
Are you starting at level 1?
What level will you end at?
Do you have a Paladin oath in mind? If recommend Ancients for "Light" theme synergy.

Paladin gets big boosts at levels: 2, 5, 6, (7 sometimes), 9, 11, and 13.
Monk gets big boosts at levels: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 11.
Choose a split to shoot for and you'll have the start of a build.

For your first two ASI's take Dex+2. From there Wis+2 or Cha+2 if you have Paladin level 6.

Personally I'd go with
Sun Soul Monk to 5, maybe 7 (Dex+2)
Ancients Paladin to 9 (Dex+2, Cha+2)
SSM to 7 (if not done already)
AP to 13 (Cha+2)
Take dueling style and use a spear in one hand (but ask your DM if you can get the +2 damage when 2-handing the spear).
Attack: 1d6+1d8+7 (15) twice
Flurry of Blows: 1d6+1d8+7 (13) twice
Spell slots up to 4th level
Saves: +12/+16/+7/+4/+8/+10
Aura of Protection +5, Aura of Warding, Aura of Courage, Evasion, but only 18 AC, stunning blow DC 8+3+Prof (on the lowish side).

Another option is to be the master of saving throws:
Monk 14, Paladin 6
Proficiency in all saving throws, +5 Aura bonus, evasion, d8 monk damage die
You'd have saves at +12/+16/+13/+10/+14/+16 with 20 Dex & 20 Cha.

Agailius
2019-11-28, 09:30 PM
Are you starting at level 1?
What level will you end at?Yes.
Our DM stated DiA gets to about level 13

OctaviOz
2019-11-29, 04:10 AM
With those roles you have some good options for multiclass depending on what play style you are looking for.

Firstly I would suggest a max of 3 level dip. Otherwise your monk KI REALLY suffers. Stunning strike is a Monks defining ability that can totally change s fight. Without KI, no stunning strike.

That being said, some good options right off the bat.

Cleric 3. I love trickery for a monk build . Mirror image (no conc) and invoke duplicity really help your survivability. You also get all the other awesome cleric goodies. Other cleric options also work well.

Paladin 2 or 3 could be ok if you are looking for more offensive build. With up to 4 attacks per round you have decent crit chance to dump your smites in. Extra heals and other utility is also nice. Due to limited spell slots the extra dpr may not end up being quite as good as it looks initially. Need to be really careful with bonus action conflicts as well. IMO not worth the investment.

Ranger 3 can add some decent dpr as well. Same issues with BA conflict.

Probably my favourite multiclass would be warlock for some fun and effective utility. Go Hexblade for curse and shield. Then tome for an invisible flying imp and whatever invocations you like for flavour.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

OctaviOz
2019-11-29, 04:23 AM
Forgot to mention above. I definitely prefer open hand. Free opportunities to knock prone then advantage on the test of your attacks! 😁