PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cloner (Again)

JNAProductions
2019-11-28, 11:12 PM
Find it here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Q857eDWlZ3pcy8a891kFzd-1T7oJVwVenUr18jEUVQ/edit?usp=sharing), in a handy-dandy google doc.

Comment on a reread of my own class: I should probably tone down the sass in the class features. But I feel it's reasonably well-balanced.

If anyone has any comments, critiques, or anything else, let me know!

sandmote
2019-12-04, 06:47 PM
I didn't and don't see the original version of this, so apologizes if this is covered ground.

How does splitting handle it when your HP doesn't divide evenly into your number of clones? So, if you have 9 HP and create your first clone, do you each have four, each have five, or one clone with each health total.

I'm also not clear on the action economy here. If each clone uses actions independently, that appears to be 16 attacks per round at 20th level. And of course you know a PC is going to find a way to carry eight sets of equipment. If the actions are shared, any Cloner appears to be crippled in combat.

Also, are the "subclass" features the only ones that aren't combat focused?

JNAProductions
2019-12-04, 06:56 PM
You do indeed get actions for every clone-but you’re very vulnerable to AoEs.

You round down for HP totals.

I ran the math (long time ago) and even with 16 attacks, it barely beats a Fighter of the same level. Which feels okay to me-its better against single target damage dealers than an AoE slinger like a Wizard.

sandmote
2019-12-05, 12:02 AM
I ran the math (long time ago) and even with 16 attacks, it barely beats a Fighter of the same level. Which feels okay to me-its better against single target damage dealers than an AoE slinger like a Wizard. Does this factor in improved strength of the mentalist giving +5 damage per hit?

JNAProductions
2019-12-05, 12:08 PM
Does this factor in improved strength of the mentalist giving +5 damage per hit?

I checked at, if I recall, levels 5, 11, and 17. The tier breakpoints.

If you want to recheck my math, I'd be happy to get it confirmed/denied. I do remember I was aiming for a Cloner being able to consistently beat a (non-EK) Fighter in single combat, since again, their big weakness is AoEs, which Fighters normally lack access to.