PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Artificer dip for Wizard, and Spell Focus

Merudo
2019-11-29, 03:11 AM
Is there a way a Wizard with a 1 level Artificer dip can cast both Artificer and Wizard spells while holding a shield?

Or, do I need to spend actions rotating between holding a component pouch and Thieves's Tools?

Dork_Forge
2019-11-29, 03:18 AM
Is there a way a multiclasses Artificer/Wizard can cast both Artificer and Wizard spells while holding a shield?

Or, do I need to spend actions rotating between holding a component pouch and Thieves's Tools?

An artillerist can use a wand as a focus, or any other alchemist can use the improved wand infusion as an artificer focus so no tools needed.

Merudo
2019-11-29, 04:52 AM
That doesn't work very well for a 1 level dip, though.

Evaar
2019-11-29, 01:24 PM
You need a free hand to access a component pouch but you don't have to "unsheathe" it. You access the components as part of the spellcast.

So turn 1, artificer spell, use your free object interaction to take out your thieves tools, cast artificer spell.

Turn 2, wizard spell, use your free object interaction to put away your thieves tools, cast wizard spell with component pouch on belt.

Turn 3, artificer spell, free object interaction to take out thieves tools, cast artificer spell.

Where you'll run into trouble is between turns. If someone attacks you after turns 1 or 3, you can't cast Shield because you don't have a free hand for the Somatic components. Unless, of course, you took War Caster.

nickl_2000
2019-11-29, 01:27 PM
There is nothing stopping you from using a component pouch with artificer and Wizard spells. Just use a component pouch for both and don't worry about a focus at all. Boom, no fuss, nothing to worry about.

Lunali
2019-11-29, 01:40 PM
Doesn't work for a single level dip, but if you get a second level anything you've infused can be a focus, including your wizard focus if you get enhanced arcane focus.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-29, 01:51 PM
The question I have is what artificer spells are you using? Because you can focus on out of combat utility and not worry. And for in combat just cast spells that dont have a material component. Guidance, and mending for cantrips then for spells Cure wounds, Absorb elements, Faerie fire, Catapult. All of these spells have great combat use and you wont have to bother with a focus at all.

Merudo
2019-11-29, 04:08 PM
The question I have is what artificer spells are you using?

Sanctuary, mostly.