PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bard character help

Rivaler
2019-11-29, 07:30 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of making a new character for AL, starting level 1, and after a bit of thinking I set on making a bard, which looks fun. Thing is that, ironically, I could use a little bit of inspiration on how to make it!

Since, in general, I tend to prefer melee oriented (or at least melee viable) characters, I think a sword bard would fit me better. But I'm kind of afraid that a melee sword bard would probably need SCAG cantrips to make his weapon attacks meaningful (or am I wrong?) which is an AL illegal combination.

This said, what I'm looking for is a bit of input and suggestions on bard builds you think would be interesting and fun. I'm not aiming for cookie cutter builds, mind you: just that it drags it's own weight :smallsmile:

Thanks in advance to all kind repliers!

Catullus64
2019-11-29, 09:20 AM
Level matters a great deal in terms of what will or will not be particularly strong. A Swords bard has spikes of melee damage output at levels 3 and 6, and bumps to the consistency of damage at levels 5 and 14, but not much incremental increase in damage between those levels. From my experience, defense is a much more serious concern than offense, since Bard doesn't have much of any personal defensive spells to speak of until Level 7, with Greater Invisibility. You have Defensive Flourish, but those dice vanish real quickly before Level 5, when they refill on a short rest.

If you are at least Level 6, I would highly recommend Rogue (Swashbuckler 3)/Bard (Swords) 3+. The added mobility will make you much more survivable, Swashbuckler has some of the most reliable damage output on the table, you will actually be even more of a skillmonkey than if you just went straight Bard, and your initiative will be amazing with Jack of all Trades + Rakish Audacity. Not to mention, of course, that the two subclasses have so much role-play synergy.

airless_wing
2019-11-29, 09:39 AM
Swords Bards are a blast! Im playing a matador-style one in a current campaign, and he’s been a ton of fun!

Due to not gaining shield proficiency, I just went with Two Weapon Fighting style andndual wield scimitars. At lvl 6 thats up to three attacks per turn. TWF might not be optimal from a min/mac standpoint, but it is very fun ans flashy. It is helpful to have that many attacks, as you need at least one to hit to activate your Flourishes.

Defensive Flourish is your go-to option for flourishes: the extra 1-6 AC boost is huge. Ive been a serviceable front-liner, boosting my medium armor up-to 24 AC with a good defensive roll. I wouldnt over-use your flourishes, especially before level 5. But, if you a big hit is coming, go for that defensive one.

id start with 14 Dex and 16 Charisma, if possible. Dual wield scimitars and go to town! Cast Bane at thr start of a fight (or other concentration spell) and slice em up.

Theymake excellent grapplers as well; pick expertise in athletics and a positive strength score and you can easily lock down a foe.

I never feel like im without options as a swords bard.