PDA

View Full Version : An explosives Expert

blackjack50
2019-11-29, 10:44 AM
I am looking to make an explosives expert. Someone who excels at breaching walls, doors, blowing up stockpiles, and basically? Anything. Basically a coalminer type with a military background. I would be starting at a low level like three or four. I am Thinking specifically explosives and charges and so on. Not necessarily fire. More like concussive force and breaching and stuff.

zinycor
2019-11-29, 10:52 AM
Maybe a tempest cleric? With your channel divinity you can guarantee maximum damage on your thunder spells.
Evocation wizard would also help, since you wouldn't need to worry about hitting your allies.

JackPhoenix
2019-11-29, 10:53 AM
Your options are basically magic or bust. There are no explosives in 5e, unless your GM allows black powder.

Dualswinger
2019-11-29, 10:57 AM
Artillerist Artificer. I literally just built this character for an upcoming campaign. Since all their spells can be fluffed as tinkered devices, your casting of fireball/shatter makes good times. Plus you have quite a bit of utility to deal with things that can’t be solved by explosives

Sparky McDibben
2019-11-29, 10:58 AM
Not necessarily. Talk to your DM. Take a few spells like shatter, passwall, etc., and ask your DM if you can cast them as rituals [Int per day] times. Fluff them as jury-rigging explosives in just the right spot.

Ritual casting means you can't use them in combat, and the per day restriction stops you from burrowing through their dungeons with impunity. They might want you to adventure for compobents, recipes, etc.

Go dwarf, maybe artificer?

stoutstien
2019-11-29, 11:00 AM
I am looking to make an explosives expert. Someone who excels at breaching walls, doors, blowing up stockpiles, and basically? Anything. Basically a coalminer type with a military background. I would be starting at a low level like three or four. I am Thinking specifically explosives and charges and so on. Not necessarily fire. More like concussive force and breaching and stuff.

I'd look at the new artillerist artificer. Being able to cast shatter an absurd amount of times a day. Shatter is probably the spell for you as it destroys non-magical items.
Later you can turn your turrets into force explosives.

blackjack50
2019-11-29, 11:05 AM
Your options are basically magic or bust. There are no explosives in 5e, unless your GM allows black powder.

GM does. It is established in our universe end it is getting less rare.

blackjack50
2019-11-29, 11:07 AM
Artillerist Artificer. I literally just built this character for an upcoming campaign. Since all their spells can be fluffed as tinkered devices, your casting of fireball/shatter makes good times. Plus you have quite a bit of utility to deal with things that can’t be solved by explosives

If it cannot be solved with explosives...Use more explosives. At the very least THAT problem won’t exist anymore

Damon_Tor
2019-11-29, 11:27 AM
GM does. It is established in our universe end it is getting less rare.

Then your best best is a conjuration wizard: at level 2 you could simply conjure a 10-pound block of TNT. And of course you would also have access to spells like shatter.

Ganryu
2019-11-29, 11:36 AM
My group completely reflavored a wizard into one. They just said rather than magic, it was him preparing his equipment, and his spells were his payload. It was evocation wizard. Fireball is just him using a grenade launcher. Antigravity was a disk he pulled out, has a flamethrower, and a few other goodies. The player enjoys it immensely and there's no real mechanical changes for it.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-29, 01:59 PM
I will agree with artillerist artificer as bu Level 11 you can make a spell storing item of shatter. So practically a bandalier of grenades that can be used 8 or 10 times

moonfly7
2019-11-29, 02:22 PM
Artificer definitely, and artilerist gives you a force ballista AND a flame thrower. Plus at level 9 you can explode it, and if guns or cannons exist(because you know, blackpowder normally equals SOME firearms) then artificer gets proficiency in them. I'd also suggest packing large amounts of alchemist fire, as you can churn it out real fast with artificer. Keep glyph of warding on you, and grab catapult so as too deal extra damage with horns of gunpowder and such.