PDA

View Full Version : Taking the same feat more than once?

Spo
2019-11-29, 04:09 PM
I know certain feats, like elemental adept, you can take more than once for better protection, but what about other feats not specifically spelled out in the description?

For example, taking magic initiate multiple times to have different spells and cantrips without multiclassing from your fighter build. Or perhaps grabbing the battle master feat (away from phb - don’t know name) to load up on maneuvers for your barbarian.

Is there a specific rule against this?

Expected
2019-11-29, 04:21 PM
It was mentioned either in the PHB or by Sage Advice that you cannot take the same feat more than once unless specified in the feat--Elemental Adept is the only feat that does so.

clash
2019-11-29, 04:22 PM
There is a rule. I don't have the exact statement but feats day in the general description of then that a feat can only be taken once unless otherwise specified

moonfly7
2019-11-29, 04:22 PM
Yes. It specifically says in the book that unless the feat says you can take it more than once, then you can't. So the answer will be an unspoken no, unless specifically stated.

Zhorn
2019-11-29, 11:23 PM
This is a little redundant considering the correct answer has already been given, but personal preference is if someone says something is in the book they should at the very least point to where it says as such. I've had a few situations where assertions were made about something being a rule, but isn't covered anywhere in the written text.

Feats
... You can take each feat only once, unless the feat’s description says otherwise....

Coffee_Dragon
2019-11-30, 02:05 AM
I always found it awkward that they had this option to allow multiple instances and then used it on one single feat. Resilient seems like the obvious other candidate.

CTurbo
2019-11-30, 03:43 AM
Even though it has already been stated that, by RAW, Elemental Adept is the only feat that you can take twice, I personally allow several other feats(listed below) to be taken multiple times and several other DMs I know do too. So check with your DM.

Resilient
Martial Adept
Skilled
Magic Initiate
Ritual Caster

EggKookoo
2019-11-30, 06:24 AM
This is a little redundant considering the correct answer has already been given, but personal preference is if someone says something is in the book they should at the very least point to where it says as such. I've had a few situations where assertions were made about something being a rule, but isn't covered anywhere in the written text.

PHB 165.

"You can take each feat only once, unless the feat’s description says otherwise."

Greywander
2019-11-30, 06:59 AM
For a while, I had assumed that any feat where you could pick from several options could be taken more than once as long as you chose a different option each time. CTurbo listed most of the obvious feats for this. I, too, was surprised that an actual rule existed, and only Elemental Adept was allowed by RAW.

You can always ask your DM, or if you are the DM you can change the rules. But by the rules, only Elemental Adept is allowed.