PDA

View Full Version : Best 1st level spell for Magic Initiate?

Greywander
2019-11-30, 02:55 AM
Obviously this will depend a lot on build and party composition. If we assume that you have enough diversity in your party to have access to every spell list (so grabbing a spell not available to your party isn't an issue), what would be the best spells to grab? I can see four different lines of logic for picking a spell:

A spell on your own list that you would always have prepared anyway. Basically an extra prepared spell.
A spell you wouldn't usually prepare, but when you need it you don't have time to prepare it first. Feather Fall, for example.
A spell you use consistently but typically only cast once per day anyway. Mage Armor, for example.
A last ditch backup spell for when you've run out of spell slots and just need to get away.

What would be your top picks, and would you have a reason not listed here for grabbing a spell?

My initial impression is that spells such as Bless, Command, Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Find Familiar (for non-wizards), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, and Shield would all be decent picks.

Expected
2019-11-30, 03:10 AM
Obviously this will depend a lot on build and party composition. If we assume that you have enough diversity in your party to have access to every spell list (so grabbing a spell not available to your party isn't an issue), what would be the best spells to grab? I can see four different lines of logic for picking a spell:

A spell on your own list that you would always have prepared anyway. Basically an extra prepared spell.
A spell you wouldn't usually prepare, but when you need it you don't have time to prepare it first. Feather Fall, for example.
A spell you use consistently but typically only cast once per day anyway. Mage Armor, for example.
A last ditch backup spell for when you've run out of spell slots and just need to get away.

What would be your top picks, and would you have a reason not listed here for grabbing a spell?

My initial impression is that spells such as Bless, Command, Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Find Familiar (for non-wizards), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, and Shield would all be decent picks.
Shield, in my opinion, is the best choice for Magic Initiate. For Fighters, Hex is a good choice because it synergizes with their high number of attacks and it lasts for an hour. Find Familiar is better with Ritual Caster.

CTurbo
2019-11-30, 03:35 AM
The best picks-

Find Familiar, Bless, Shield of Faith, Mage Armor, Faerie Fire, Hex, Disguise Self

Solid picks-

Absorb Elements, Shield, Magic Missile, Goodberry, Expeditious Retreat

meh picks-

Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Fog Cloud, Feather Fall, Chromatic Orb, Command

Nikushimi
2019-11-30, 03:44 AM
I mean it really does all depend on your build/class you are and what your play style is. I don’t think there is an overall “best” for spells.

But since Magic Initiate states that the 1st level spell you get is always cast at the lowest level for it then it is best to take something that doesn’t require scaling to get the most benefit.

So much like has already been said Shield is an excellent choice.

Other choices I like are Shield of Faith, Tensers Floating Disk, Purify Food and Drink, Mage Armor, Hex, and Zephyr Strike.

Each has their uses depending on what you want and type of class/build you are.

Shield overall is nice cause of the +5 Bonus to AC, but I find the other spells as well hold their value.

Shield of Faith to help better protect an ally.

Tensers Floating Disk to help carrying stuff.

Purify Food and Drink for well...purifying your good and drink.

Mage Armor for those less than stellar ACs on non armor wearing people.

Hex for extra damage on your attacks as well as impose disadvantage on a save of your choice. Really useful to help make your enemies fail saves.

Zephyr Strike for those who want to get in and get out. The extra speed is really nice and while you can only use the extra damage once it’s still a nice bonus.

EDIT: I forgot that Fairie Fire is also useful to help give advantage and find invisible creatures.

Absorb Elements isn’t bad either but it’s not my favorite.

Fable Wright
2019-11-30, 04:35 AM
The best spell is probably Find Familiar, followed by Find Familiar, then Find Familiar.

Niche use:
Goodberry (for the Life Cleric)
Hex (for the Athletics abuser or high-attack fighter)
Bless (for the Sharpshooter/GWM)
Absorb Elements (your DM is stingy with Fire resistance and not so stingy with multiple Flameskulls ambushing the party)
Shield (your DM likes Magic Missile)

...And I'll admit, I've got a soft spot for Expeditious Retreat, one of the best spells on my Eldritch Knight. The power to mooch Haste off the Sorcerer and bonus cast Expeditious Retreat gave me 120' move in a surprise round to Action Surge with was spectacular, the ability to move at "regular" speed while maintaining a grappleball was spectacular, but honestly I'm just sad that it only lasts one combat.

Quietus
2019-11-30, 08:36 AM
If your build is based around speed for some reason, Longstrider is also worth consideration. My wife is playing a centaur barbarian with a side of Tavern Brawler, with Longstrider up she now has a speed of 60 at level 5. That means she can grab someone as a bonus action one turn, run around with them (30 feet due to half movement) the next, and trigger her ability to use a hoof attack as a bonus every turn after that.

Lunali
2019-11-30, 08:46 AM
Our DM created a world where towns are 250 or so miles apart and huntable creatures are nonexistant, goodberry would be a godsend. Currently we're stuck burning 3rd level slots on create food and water. (along with prestidigitation to make it palatable)

Quoz
2019-11-30, 09:26 AM
Find familiar + goodberry is incredible together (doesnt even have to be on the same character, just the same party). 10 action-free 1 HP heals to get you back in the fight after dropping to 0 is an amazing efficiency for 2 first level spells.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-11-30, 09:26 AM
The best picks-

Find Familiar, Bless, Shield of Faith, Mage Armor, Faerie Fire, Hex, Disguise Self

Solid picks-

meh picks-

You just made me think of this.

If someday, somewhere the Arcane Trickster or Draconic Sorcerer finds themselves the only magic users in a party how about Healing Word then? I'll even say if only one other party member can cast a healing spell.

Healing Word is SOOO powerful in combat.

Keravath
2019-11-30, 09:35 AM
Keep in mind that Magic Initiate is one cast/day unless it is a spell from a class you can already use in which case you can use it with spell slots.

What spells are useful once?

With that in mind, I would put find familiar at the top of the list since it gives an on-going useful effect and you can summon it up again the next day if it dies.

Other than that, healing word might be useful in a clutch situation to get your group's healer back up.

Beyond that ... whatever 1/day utility you might find useful.

Bless ... help out the party for one fight once/day. Could be good in a tougher fight.

Hex or hunter's mark ... extra damage in one fight once/day but it lasts an hour so you might get some extra use out of it. Divine favor is also an option but it only lasts one fight, less bonus action competition.

Pass without trace ... useful for stealth once/day.

Goodberry ... useful for provisions for a group and emergency 1hp heals for 10 people. Particularly useful in a game that tracks rations and supplies. You don't need to carry food with you.

Shield ... might save one hit in one fight once/day ... not worth it in my opinion.

Absorb Elements ... slightly better than shield if only because you get hit with AoE damage spells less often. However, still once/day.

Note: A lot of these are excellent spells but some lose their luster if you can only cast them once/day.

Keravath
2019-11-30, 09:41 AM
Find familiar + goodberry is incredible together (doesnt even have to be on the same character, just the same party). 10 action-free 1 HP heals to get you back in the fight after dropping to 0 is an amazing efficiency for 2 first level spells.

In the games I have played, the character has to use an action to feed the goodberry to a downed team mate just as they would with a healing potion. The DMs I have played with consider getting out the goodberry/potion and then moving and feeding it to someone to be too complex to be considered a free object interaction. It is still a good choice but it isn't action-free for everyone.

Chronos
2019-11-30, 09:48 AM
Even if another member of the party can already cast the spell, there are a lot of spells that benefit from having multiple people able to cast them. Like, the cleric can get anyone back on their feet with a Healing Word, but what if it's the cleric who goes down?

Quoth Keravath:

Keep in mind that Magic Initiate is one cast/day unless it is a spell from a class you can already use in which case you can use it with spell slots.
Not quite. Under the RAW, you can cast the MI spell from slots if it's from a class you already have, or if you have two or more spellcasting classes (even if neither of them has the spell). Thus, for instance, a multiclass cleric/wizard with Goodberry from the druid list can cast Goodberry from spell slots. But it's stupid to rule it this way, so a lot of folks houserule that you can use it with any spell slots, which seems much more in line with the intent of the rules.

And I don't think that Quoz was suggesting that it'd be completely action-free, just that it's using the familiar's actions, not those of any party member.

moonfly7
2019-11-30, 09:59 AM
Hunters mark. For a non caster non ranger, it's a very handy once a day spell for when you need to hurt your enemies.

Chronos
2019-11-30, 01:51 PM
You can't pick Hunter's Mark, because it's not on the list of the wizard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, bard, nor warlock, and those are the only classes Magic Initiate lets you choose. You can, however, pick Hex, which has almost exactly the same functionality, and the differences are mostly in Hex's favor.

Quoz
2019-11-30, 04:27 PM
In the games I have played, the character has to use an action to feed the goodberry to a downed team mate just as they would with a healing potion. The DMs I have played with consider getting out the goodberry/potion and then moving and feeding it to someone to be too complex to be considered a free object interaction. It is still a good choice but it isn't action-free for everyone.

That's why goodberry pairs well with find familiar. A familiar gets a full set of actions - action, bonus action, move, and reaction. They just cannot take the attack action. So give your owl a little pouch to carry goodberries and give it a standing order to feed one to any downed ally.

Greywander
2019-12-01, 03:10 AM
Some solid picks here. Though some spells, like Zephyr Strike, aren't possible, since they're not on one of the full caster spell lists. And Pass without Trace is a 2nd level spell, so that's a no-go either.

I curious how people would feel about allowing you to switch your Magic Initiate spell if you chose your own class, e.g. a wizard who takes Magic Initiate (wizard)? Maybe something like, at the end of a long rest (or when you level up), you can choose any first level spell from the chosen spell list. This makes it even better for spells known classes like bards and sorcerers. I'm just thinking that there may be a spell that's great early on but gets less useful later. It would help a lot with analysis paralysis, allowing you to take whatever makes sense right now, but change it later if you need to, instead of worrying about what you'll want at 20th level.

I'm also curious how many DMs allow their players to take Magic Initiate more than once. Technically, Elemental Adept is the only feat you're allowed to take more than once.

Daithi
2019-12-01, 03:38 AM
For a Rogue that doesn't want to go Arcane Trickster---

Find Familiar (1st)
Booming Blade (C)
Mage Hand (C)

Find Familiar is excellent because it allows you to get advantage on your attacks which allows you to add your Sneak Attack dice. Similarly, Booming Blade allows you to add a little extra damage to your attacks (if they move). Lastly, Mage Hand lets you trip those traps without using your own damn hands and maybe even pick locks if you have a nice DM. A good alternative cantrip is Minor Illusion to hide behind false doors or barrels or what not.

Lyracian
2019-12-01, 06:41 AM
Find Familiar is better with Ritual Caster.
Slight tangent but I think the value of Ritual caster over Magic Initiate is somewhat dependent on the game you are playing. How much spare gold and access to buying spells you have.

The other part is at Daithi pointed out for some builds would much rather spend a single feat to get all the spells they want which you cannot get with Ritual Caster.

Find Familiar (1st) Booming Blade (C)

Other spells I like
Hex => Since it lasts an hour and you get to grab E. Blast to add a ranged attack for a melee character.
Cure Wounds/H. Word => If your aim was to get Guidance Cantrip healing always has a use. Especially if the Cleric is down!
Goodberry => Similar to the above but also gives you rations. This is probably my favorite.

opaopajr
2019-12-01, 07:53 AM
The best spell is probably Find Familiar, followed by Find Familiar, then Find Familiar.

This. Nothing else really comes close. :smallannoyed:

Power projection exploration at minimal-to-no risk with special time duration, and just about no downsides (barely any restraint at all, actually). A huge shift from the old skool version where the shared bond -- HP adjustment & potential system shock death if killed -- kept its power in check. Even in heavy combat games 5e FF can have it Help, have its own initiative and take commands, and even project your touch attack spells as an action.

I am not a fan of WotC's low-risk interpretations of magic. :smallyuk: But of the last three editions this is some of the best they could produce. :smallsigh:

Gignere
2019-12-01, 07:59 AM
This. Nothing else really comes close. :smallannoyed:

Power projection exploration at minimal-to-no risk with special time duration, and just about no downsides (barely any restraint at all, actually). A huge shift from the old skool version where the shared bond -- HP adjustment & potential system shock death if killed -- kept its power in check. Even in heavy combat games 5e FF can have it Help, have its own initiative and take commands, and even project your touch attack spells as an action.

I am not a fan of WotC's low-risk interpretations of magic. :smallyuk: But of the last three editions this is some of the best they could produce. :smallsigh:

Yep especially if your DM rules your familiar can use magic items like rings. Your familiar will basically have an entire set of action on their own. Like using ring of shooting stars/ram to actually do damage. Remember using the rings are not an attack action.

It can even serve as a second concentration, if you give the familiar a ring of spell storing. It casts haste on you and now you’re free to cast a second concentration spell.

Chronos
2019-12-01, 08:11 AM
Whether a single feat can give you all of the spells you want depends on the list of spells you want, not on the feat, and for most likely lists, there's no one feat that will give you all of them. If all of the spells you want are rituals and all on the same class list, then Ritual Caster will give you all of them with a single feat. If all of the spells you want are two cantrips and one first level spell on the same list, then Magic Initiate will give you all of them with a single feat. If you want a second-level non-ritual (like, say, the afore-mentioned Pass Without Trace), then no feat at all will give it to you.

Lyracian
2019-12-01, 08:20 AM
If you want a second-level non-ritual (like, say, the afore-mentioned Pass Without Trace), then no feat at all will give it to you.
That is a bad example since they printed Wood Elf Magic - Source: XGE, page 75
You also learn the longstrider and pass without trace spells

NaughtyTiger
2019-12-02, 05:37 PM
Under the RAW, you can cast the MI spell from slots if it's from a class you already have, or if you have two or more spellcasting classes (even if neither of them has the spell). Thus, for instance, a multiclass cleric/wizard with Goodberry from the druid list can cast Goodberry from spell slots.

how are you getting this from RAW?

Crgaston
2019-12-02, 08:42 PM
<snip>

The best picks-

<snip>

Find familiar + goodberry <snip>.

What spells are useful once?

With that in mind, I would put find familiar at the top of the list since it gives an on-going useful effect and you can summon it up again the next day if it dies.

<snip>

Find Familiar (1st)
Booming Blade (C)
Mage Hand (C)

Find Familiar is excellent because it allows you to get advantage on your attacks which allows you to add your Sneak Attack dice. Similarly, Booming Blade allows you to add a little extra damage to your attacks (if they move). Lastly, Mage Hand lets you trip those traps without using your own damn hands and maybe even pick locks if you have a nice DM. A good alternative cantrip is Minor Illusion to hide behind false doors or barrels or what not.

I'm beginning to sense a pattern here :)

I mean, obviously, if you're not an Int caster it means you'll have to be happy with utility or SCAG cantrips, and there are potentially better options for Charisma casters (MI Warlock for Hex on a Warlock, since it can last up to 24hrs, or example), but the mileage you can get out of FF trumps most everything else.

FabulousFizban
2019-12-03, 01:38 AM
I'm surprised no has mentioned mage armor. with its 8 hour duration you generally only need to cast it once a day. It provides the same AC as chain mail, scale mail, and a breastplate with no proficiency requirements and can be used with a shield.

Mr Adventurer
2019-12-03, 02:40 AM
I'm beginning to sense a pattern here :)

I mean, obviously, if you're not an Int caster it means you'll have to be happy with utility or SCAG cantrips, and there are potentially better options for Charisma casters (MI Warlock for Hex on a Warlock, since it can last up to 24hrs, or example), but the mileage you can get out of FF trumps most everything else.

M.I. Hex will only last up to 1 hour, since it's only ever cast as a 1st level slot?

MrStabby
2019-12-03, 06:35 AM
The best picks-

Solid picks-

meh picks-

I have to disagree about healing word being "meh". Situational yes but when you need it, you need it. If your party healer is down then someone else able to cast healing word whilst the party is trying to dash away from a TPK is pretty sweet. Sometimes all you need is one HP.

I would rate featherfall higher as well. If you donthave featherfall you dont really miss it... often. When you do have it, it is pretty damn useful. If you cant get to the exit of a building safely, jump off the roof instead. Is climbing the wall too dangerous? Well give it a shot it only takes a level 1 spell to save the climber.

I'm surprised no has mentioned mage armor. with its 8 hour duration you generally only need to cast it once a day. It provides the same AC as chain mail, scale mail, and a breastplate with no proficiency requirements and can be used with a shield.

Just the very first post. And then the third... and the fourth... then I stopped checking.

HiveStriker
2019-12-03, 07:32 AM

I usually go for the "cast one day" + "always useful".
So obvious picks would be Find Familiar, Mage Armor, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self.

Following close behind would be Hex, Feather Armor, Goodberry, Jump/Longstrider, Sanctuary.

For characters that don't often use concentration on something and don't have Dash as bonus action, Expeditious Retreat would become a first-rate pick (maximize engagement, help thieving or escape a situation, reduce chance to be seen when crossing open area). Shield of Faith or Bless can also be a nice investment for the big fight of the day.

For characters heavy on non-combat situations (read: people that make their ways through politics and such), Command would equally become an obvious pick (halving price of merchant, forcing someone to sign a contract -you don't want witnesses for that XD-, forcing someone to give you an object, etc). Plus it's also very good in fight (worst case force an enemy that went into melee to stop for a turn, avoiding attacks on a success).

If none of the above seem pertinent enough for my current context, or my current party makes the following really better, I'd pick Healing Words (like nobody else has it) or Shield (party has no frontline and my life is threatened often enough to make at least one use of it relevant) or Absorb Elements (I can probably get one decent use of it every other day past level 10 or so).

EDIT: Also, as far as Find Familiar is concerned, I'd say it's one of the top picks IF you picked Magic Initiate for cantrips first. Otherwise, it's very simply a trap instead of picking Ritual Caster (unless you don't fulfill the INT/WIS requirement).

Crgaston
2019-12-03, 09:10 AM
M.I. Hex will only last up to 1 hour, since it's only ever cast as a 1st level slot?
If you take MI for a class for which you already have slots, you can use those slots to cast the spell. You are basically trading a feat for 1 extra spell known and 2 extra cantrips when you do it this way.

Gignere
2019-12-03, 07:29 PM
If you take MI for a class for which you already have slots, you can use those slots to cast the spell. You are basically trading a feat for 1 extra spell known and 2 extra cantrips when you do it this way.

No that’s not true only if the MI is on your spell list can you use your slots to cast it.

sithlordnergal
2019-12-03, 10:01 PM
So, keeping in mind that the spell is 1/per day unless you have the proper class and spell slots, I'd say they are:

You basically gain a full class feature for free. Keep in mind, you don't have to recast Find Familiar to use the abilities granted to a Familiar. Meaning you are more then capable of using all of the Familiar's abilities, such as talking to it telepathically, dismissing/calling it with actions, or seeing through your Familiar's senses. This can be highly useful, particularly the dismissing/calling the familiar. You don't need to see where the Familiar reappears, so you can have it reappear on, say, the opposite side of a closed door, look through its senses, and quickly scout a room without ever opening the door.

This is pretty obvious, 8 hours where your minimum AC is going to be 13+dex. Useful if you ever find yourself lacking armor for some reason

Never underestimate the power Animal Friendship. I did as a DM once...I wanted to express just how well my party managed to hide their camp while playing ToA, and forgot that we had a Druid with a Staff of the Woodlands in the Party. So I said they saw a T-Rex walking past that failed to notice the party's location...so the Druid decided to cast Animal Friendship. We rolled initiative, the T-Rex was surprised, failed its wisdom save, and was charmed by the Druid. The Druid then cast Awaken on it from the staff...and the party had a friendly, Awakened T-Rex that they loved and protected like a puppy. The T-Rex helped them out in a lot of battles.

Unless you have someone who can speak every language, Comprehend Languages is highly useful in a lot of situations. I often find I need the spell to read something the DM put down, and have used it far more often then I care to think.

Chronos
2019-12-04, 10:11 AM
NaughtyTiger, if you're a multiclass caster, then you have one set of spell slots, that you can use to cast any spell you know or have prepared. The spell you got from Magic Initiate is a spell you know.

MaxWilson
2019-12-04, 01:40 PM
This is pretty obvious, 8 hours where your minimum AC is going to be 13+dex. Useful if you ever find yourself lacking armor for some reason

I just want to mention that Mage Armor is fantastic on combat druids, especially Moon Druids. I wouldn't take Magic Initiate just for that but I absolutely would spend a party member's first-level spell slot on it. It boosts the AC of many forms by +2 or +3, and druids have enough HP to get lots of mileage out of that AC boost.

E.g. if you're playing a Divine Shepherd (Divine Soul 1 for Con save proficiency, then Shepherd 1-6, then Divine Soul 2-3 for Conjure Animals V and metamagics, then Shepherd up to at least level 9) you are likely leveraging Mage Armor + shield already to give yourself decent AC... then if you Wildshape into a Giant Octopus, instead of being AC 11 you're AC 14, which means the disadvantage you impose on restrained targets lasts a lot longer.

Similarly, a Moon Druid in Fire Elemental form would go from AC 12 => 15, and in Air Elemental form it would go from AC 15 => 18.

Not bad for a no-concentration, 8-hour first-level spell.

HiveStriker
2019-12-04, 06:44 PM
NaughtyTiger, if you're a multiclass caster, then you have one set of spell slots, that you can use to cast any spell you know or have prepared. The spell you got from Magic Initiate is a spell you know.
Im sorry Chronos but you are trying to shoehorn into multiclass rules something that is completely distinct from it.

Furthermore, while the initial writing of Magic Initiate was blurry enough that one could reasonably say RAW allowed casting with normal spell slots (at least, IIRC, it's so old now XD) there have been tweets + official erratas that consistently clarified it.

If the spell you get is a spell that you have *on the spell list of your class(es), then it's effectively behaving as a normal learned/prepared spell (except it doesn't count against the numbered limitation of spell syou know/prepare).
Otherwise, it's just one per long rest. Period.

You are perfectly free to houserule otherwise, but that still is a houserule. :)

Chronos
2019-12-05, 09:06 AM
A character with multiple spellcasting classes is not something completely distinct from what the multiclass spellcasting rules were written for.

HiveStriker
2019-12-05, 10:00 AM
A character with multiple spellcasting classes is not something completely distinct from what the multiclass spellcasting rules were written for.
Yeah, but you are trying to "extend" the meaning of mutliclassing rules beyond its intended and logical meaning.

PHB says:
"Once you have the Spellcasting feature from more than one class, use the rules below."

"Spells Known and Prepared. You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."
"Each spell you know and prepare is associated with one of your classes, and you use the spellcasting ability of that class when you cast the spell. Similarly, a spellcasting focus, such as a holy symbol, can be used only for the spells from the class associated with that focus. "

"You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels in the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes, and half your levels (rounded down) in the paladin and ranger classes. Use this total to determine your spell slots by consulting the Multiclass Spellcaster table. "

Magic Initiate says:
"In addition, choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again."
NOTHING. MORE.

I interpreted in the same way as you initially, as in "the feat does give a 'special 1st level slot' to cast a spell that I otherwise 'just know as any other spell'". Because of the "learn" terminology.

Problem is, you cannot use the multiclass rules to justify that you could cast a Bless from Magic Initiate with your slots if you're a Ranger / Eldricht Knight (picking random class combo that just doesn't access the spell for the sake of explanation).

Because those rules are actually clear: you define the "multiclass list of spells" to use "with the multiclass slots" by following those rules strictly: and those rules clearly say to refer to each individual class for the former.

In my example, you are not a Cleric/Paladin which has Bless among list of prepared spells, so you can't "agregate" it with your usual preparation.
You are not a Divine Soul / ??? Warlock either, which can learn Bless, so you can't "agregate" it either that way.
Bless stays an outsider because it's a spell that "couldn't have come from your class Spellcasting feature" but necessarily "only from the feat", so it cannot be into the list of spells usable with "regular slots".

As I said, you're free to rule otherwise. Honestly I think that while the errata of WoTC was logical in how to combine each group of rules, as far as game balance goes, it was really not that big a deal, so I would have really preferred they rewrote Magic Initiate to clearly allow it to be used with any regular slot you may have from class features...
But hey, as a DM, I do what a want, as a player, I can always suggest it to DM and see if it goes, so not that big a deal. ^^

Ventruenox
2019-12-05, 01:52 PM
I tend to use an unmentioned line of logic for selecting the first level spell: to use the Magic Initiate feat as a mini character kit. Two cantrips and one spell can be used to exemplify a variety of personalities and archetypes. This old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543855-A-Magic-Initiate-Mini-Guide-Super-Powers-for-You-amp-I) has dozens of examples.

nickl_2000
2019-12-05, 02:42 PM
Never underestimate the power Animal Friendship. I did as a DM once...I wanted to express just how well my party managed to hide their camp while playing ToA, and forgot that we had a Druid with a Staff of the Woodlands in the Party. So I said they saw a T-Rex walking past that failed to notice the party's location...so the Druid decided to cast Animal Friendship. We rolled initiative, the T-Rex was surprised, failed its wisdom save, and was charmed by the Druid. The Druid then cast Awaken on it from the staff...and the party had a friendly, Awakened T-Rex that they loved and protected like a puppy. The T-Rex helped them out in a lot of battles.

Also a Druid, ran into a situation where we were fighting 4 Mammoth's. Upcast Animal Friendship as a 4th level spell, ALL 4 Mammoths failed the save. Suddenly 4 PCs have Mammoth mounts and we rampaged through 4-5 difficult encounters without even a second thought. It was a really, really fun night.

I tend to use an unmentioned line of logic for selecting the first level spell: to use the Magic Initiate feat as a mini character kit. Two cantrips and one spell can be used to exemplify a variety of personalities and archetypes. This old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543855-A-Magic-Initiate-Mini-Guide-Super-Powers-for-You-amp-I) has dozens of examples.

I'm doing exactly this on a character I'm preparing for a future campaign. He's a scrappy street urchin who spent time watching High Elves and classes in the magic academy through the windows. Magic Initiate is perfect to represent the random magic he learned from this poor education. Also it's a perfect reason for him to have the "pet mouse" from the urchin background, who he made his first familiar.

sithlordnergal
2019-12-05, 06:39 PM
I just want to mention that Mage Armor is fantastic on combat druids, especially Moon Druids. I wouldn't take Magic Initiate just for that but I absolutely would spend a party member's first-level spell slot on it. It boosts the AC of many forms by +2 or +3, and druids have enough HP to get lots of mileage out of that AC boost.

E.g. if you're playing a Divine Shepherd (Divine Soul 1 for Con save proficiency, then Shepherd 1-6, then Divine Soul 2-3 for Conjure Animals V and metamagics, then Shepherd up to at least level 9) you are likely leveraging Mage Armor + shield already to give yourself decent AC... then if you Wildshape into a Giant Octopus, instead of being AC 11 you're AC 14, which means the disadvantage you impose on restrained targets lasts a lot longer.

Similarly, a Moon Druid in Fire Elemental form would go from AC 12 => 15, and in Air Elemental form it would go from AC 15 => 18.

Not bad for a no-concentration, 8-hour first-level spell.

Ohhh, I hadn't thought of that! Mage Armor is really great for Combat Druids. While I wouldn't use it as a Fire Elemental, simply because my goal as a Fire Elemental is to get hit as much as possible because of the 1d10 fire every time a melee attack hits, it would be great on an Air Elemental. Especially if you don't absorb a shield, and continue to use it.

Yunru
2019-12-05, 06:40 PM
If you're in any sort of campaign that tracks rations, Goodberry.
Rations are heavy and expensive, Goodberry eliminates the need for that.

XmonkTad
2019-12-06, 07:10 AM
Aside from the great ones already mentioned, Fog Cloud (Druid/sorc/wiz) and Catapult (sorc/wiz) are my two votes. Catapult has tons of uses with a little creativity and can do reliable damage to objects even if you're casting stat is a dump stat. Fog Cloud is nice for adding a smoke bomb to a ninja type build. Situational, but fun.

diplomancer
2019-12-06, 07:50 AM
One important thing to consider, in my view, is whether your class is a casting class or not. Spells that require concentration are better suited for Magic Initiate if that's going to be your only spell than if they are competing with other spells for concentration.

Mordaedil
2019-12-06, 08:13 AM
Yeah, but you are trying to "extend" the meaning of mutliclassing rules beyond its intended and logical meaning.

PHB says:
"Once you have the Spellcasting feature from more than one class, use the rules below."

"Spells Known and Prepared. You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."
"Each spell you know and prepare is associated with one of your classes, and you use the spellcasting ability of that class when you cast the spell. Similarly, a spellcasting focus, such as a holy symbol, can be used only for the spells from the class associated with that focus. "

"You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels in the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes, and half your levels (rounded down) in the paladin and ranger classes. Use this total to determine your spell slots by consulting the Multiclass Spellcaster table. "

Magic Initiate says:
"In addition, choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again."
NOTHING. MORE.

I interpreted in the same way as you initially, as in "the feat does give a 'special 1st level slot' to cast a spell that I otherwise 'just know as any other spell'". Because of the "learn" terminology.

Problem is, you cannot use the multiclass rules to justify that you could cast a Bless from Magic Initiate with your slots if you're a Ranger / Eldricht Knight (picking random class combo that just doesn't access the spell for the sake of explanation).

Because those rules are actually clear: you define the "multiclass list of spells" to use "with the multiclass slots" by following those rules strictly: and those rules clearly say to refer to each individual class for the former.

In my example, you are not a Cleric/Paladin which has Bless among list of prepared spells, so you can't "agregate" it with your usual preparation.
You are not a Divine Soul / ??? Warlock either, which can learn Bless, so you can't "agregate" it either that way.
Bless stays an outsider because it's a spell that "couldn't have come from your class Spellcasting feature" but necessarily "only from the feat", so it cannot be into the list of spells usable with "regular slots".

As I said, you're free to rule otherwise. Honestly I think that while the errata of WoTC was logical in how to combine each group of rules, as far as game balance goes, it was really not that big a deal, so I would have really preferred they rewrote Magic Initiate to clearly allow it to be used with any regular slot you may have from class features...
But hey, as a DM, I do what a want, as a player, I can always suggest it to DM and see if it goes, so not that big a deal. ^^

The most charitable way I can read Magic Initiate is that the spell is learned, so you can burn spell slots to cast it, but it comes with the restriction that you can't cast it at a higher level and you can't use the spell slot it gives you again until you finish a long rest.

Less charitably, you can't cast it again at all until a long rest is finished.

HiveStriker
2019-12-06, 12:23 PM
The most charitable way I can read Magic Initiate is that the spell is learned, so you can burn spell slots to cast it, but it comes with the restriction that you can't cast it at a higher level and you can't use the spell slot it gives you again until you finish a long rest.

Less charitably, you can't cast it again at all until a long rest is finished.
I like your version very much. I daresay your "most charitable" should have been the one WoTC go with if they really felt having a "full-fledged additional spell" was too much. :)

Yakmala
2019-12-06, 02:45 PM
If you aren't getting Magic Initiate for the Cantrip, skip it and get Ritual Caster instead.

As long as you can get your hands on the rituals, either by finding, copying, purchasing or stealing them, you can get as many rituals as you like. And it scales with player level!

Let's say you pick Wizard rituals. That's Eighteen potential rituals for a single feat! Eight available at level 2. With no spell slots or preparation required, other than the time to cast as a ritual.

Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Phantom Steed and Water Breathing are just a few of the tools this feat brings to the table.