PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Good Jumper

Amechra
2019-11-30, 03:04 PM
Here's a bit of a dumb one - what's the best possible jumping distance? I'm skipping over UA for right now, but I'll probably check later.

Some numbers:
Your Long Jump is equal to your Strength score in feet. Your High Jump is equal to 3 + your Strength modifier, but you can add 1-1/2 your height when determining how high you can reach.

Class Features:
Remarkable Athlete (Champion Fighter 7): Add your Strength modifier to the distance of your running Long Jump.
Step of the Wind (Monk 2): Doubles your jumping distance.
Tiger Totem (Totem Barbarian 3): You get +10ft to your Long Jump and +3ft to your High Jump.

Feats:
Athlete: You only need to move 5ft before getting your full jump distance, rather than 10ft.

Magical Stuff:
Boots of Striding and Springing (Uncommon, requires Attunement): Triples your jumping distance, but you get capped out at your full movement speed.
Control Wind (5th level spell): Vertical jumps within an updraft get +10ft.
Jump (1st level spell): Triples your jumping distance.

Monsters:
Bulette: Has a standing Long Jump of 30ft and a standing High Jump of 15ft. Strength modifier is +4.
Bullwug/Giant Frog: Has a standing Long Jump of 20ft, and a standing High Jump of 10ft. Strength modifier is +1.
Frog: Has a standing Long Jump of 10ft and a High Jump of 5ft. Strength modifier is a -5.

Race:
Grung: Your Long Jump is 25ft and your High Jump is 15ft, regardless of whether or not you got a running start (not sure if this race is 1st party, though).

---

Ignoring the Grung and polymorphing into a Bulette for now, we have the following dumb build:

Monk 2/Druid 4/Fighter (Champion) 7/Barbarian (Totem) 3.

1) Have Jump cast on yourself.
2) Wild Shape into a Giant Frog (Long Jump is 93ft thanks to the Barbarian and Fighter levels and Jump, High Jump is 39ft thanks to the Barbarian levels and Jump).
3) Move into an area with the Updraft mode of Control Winds active (High Jump is 69ft thanks to the Barbarian levels, the updraft, and Jump).
4) Activate Step of the Wind (up to 186ft for the Long Jump and 138ft for the high jump).

Now bear in mind that each foot you jump consumes a foot of movement, so our Giant Frog "Monk" (who has a movement speed of 40ft) will take five rounds to complete their long jump. That's some hang time.

EDIT: I did some additional number crunching, and the Druid levels were a trap. A Goliath Barbarian 4/Fighter 7/Monk 2 build can easily get Strength 20 and Athletic, giving you a Long Jump of 35ft and a High Jump of 11ft before multipliers, and has +12ft to the maximum reach of their high jumps. For reference, Jump+Step of the Wind would let them jump 210ft with a long jump, and they can reach ledges 78ft in the air before factoring in an updraft.

Damon_Tor
2019-11-30, 05:13 PM
Class Features:
Remarkable Athlete (Champion Fighter 7): Add your Strength modifier to the distance of your running Long Jump.
Step of the Wind (Monk 2): Doubles your jumping distance.
Tiger Totem (Totem Barbarian 3): You get +10ft to your Long Jump and +3ft to your High Jump.

Don't forget Thief 3: Second Story Work. Add your Dex Mod to the number of feet you cover with a running jump

Now bear in mind that each foot you jump consumes a foot of movement, so our Giant Frog "Monk" (who has a movement speed of 40ft) will take five rounds to complete their long jump. That's some hang time.[/s]

I don't think it works that way: a move begins and ends on your turn, so you don't get "hangtime". You have to end the move, which means your jump necessarily ends when your movement speed runs out, though it's worth noting that Crawford (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/super-jump/) implies that a Dash can be used to extend this (ie, you don't have to land between your normal move and your dash to jump again.)

So with this in mind we should be taking into account ways to increase movement speed (haste, longstrider, barbarians, monks) and ways to get extra dashes in (haste, rogues)

Also worth noting: you can cheat the movement speed limit by using the Simic Hybrid as your race with the glide feature: its glide is technically "falling" which isn't deducted from your movement speed, and it turns vertical movement into horizontal movement at a 2/1 ratio. With a DC 10 athletics check, the height of your long jump is 1/4 the distance of the distance of the jump which means you can cheat out an extra 50% distance regardless of how much movement you have remaining.

Amechra
2019-11-30, 05:31 PM
Don't forget Thief 3: Second Story Work. Add your Dex Mod to the number of feet you cover with a running jump

I did forget Second Story Work - I'll add it to the original post. I wouldn't want to try to get it to work on a Strength-based jumper, though - I could see it replacing 7 levels of Fighter, though :p.

What we're really missing is a way to make jumping work off of Dexterity instead of Strength - my Kenku Monk dumped Strength, and so she had an 8ft running long jump and a 2ft high jump, despite being a hyper-agile bird-person with hollow bones.

I don't think it works that way: a move begins and ends on your turn, so you don't get "hangtime". You have to end the move, which means your jump necessarily ends when your movement speed runs out, though it's worth noting that Crawford (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/super-jump/) implies that a Dash can be used to extend this (ie, you don't have to land between your normal move and your dash to jump again.)

So with this in mind we should be taking into account ways to increase movement speed (haste, longstrider, barbarians, monks) and ways to get extra dashes in (haste, rogues)

Also worth noting: you can cheat the movement speed limit by using the Simic Hybrid as your race with the glide feature: its glide is technically "falling" which isn't deducted from your movement speed, and it turns vertical movement into horizontal movement at a 2/1 ratio. With a DC 10 athletics check, the height of your long jump is 1/4 the distance of the distance of the jump which means you can cheat out an extra 50% distance regardless of how much movement you have remaining.

Technically, Step of the Wind already gets you a bonus action Dash. Using the Monk/Barbarian/Fighter build, we can get up to 75ft movement speed by going Barbarian 5/Fighter 7/Monk 4, picking up Mobile, and getting someone to cast Longstrider on you. Then you can use the full length of your 210ft long jump if you double-dash.

Now it kinda bugs me that Athletics and Acrobatics don't factor into your jumping distance. The only time they're relevant is clearing low obstacles (DC 10 Athletics) or landing on difficult terrain (DC 10 Acrobatics). There's a completely hand-wavy "your DM can give you an Athletics check to jump higher" clause that has absolutely no guidelines.

Fable Wright
2019-12-01, 02:24 AM
Unquestionably it was, back when Female Steeders were Beasts in their original printing, a Druid with Boots of Springing and Striding.

You could use all your movement to jump 90ft vertically or horizontally.

Boots of Springing and Striding triple that to 270ft.

The Jump spell, on the Druid list even, triples that to 810ft.

Add in Step of the Wind for another doubling to 1620ft. Vertically or horizontally.

I believe that's jumping at a speed of 184 miles per hour, and you're still a Moon Druid with Flurry of Blows. So not bad at all.