PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Elite Race (Nephilim) PEACH

Bansheexero
2019-11-30, 09:42 PM
So, trying to branch out my Elite Race concept. As per my previous (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23207587&postcount=1) entries (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23971217&postcount=1), Elite Races start out somewhat normal, but sacrifice feats as per VMC to improve at certain levels. This is my first attempt in my system to create a full Rank 5 creature, whereas the other entries had lower rank (after which they no longer had to sacrifice any more feats). You are locked into the full development of such races for the sake of balance.

I recognize that the abilities may seem to potent at each level, but giving up general feats is more of a loss (especially at higher levels) than one might think. Also, I am basic comparisons to VMC rather than fates, as well as using the rules from the Paizo race guide that measure a monster's CR and determines a minimum level of other PC's in which they start to be more balanced.

My most recent of this ruleset is my variation of a Nephilim. I recognize that Pathfinder has their own version, but given the name of said race is public domain, so I appropriated it for this purpose. Unlike other variations of Nephilim being half Angel and half Human, this version is a rare interplay of half Celestial and half Fiend. It also has a rare quality for my races I that at certain ranks they get a choice between two different buffs, representing their Celestial and Fiendish aspects constantly vying for dominance.

I was debating allowing the wings to allow Teleport or Planeshift 1/day as spell-like abilities, but I found it difficult to determine what I could sacrifice to maintain a bit more balance.

Nephilim

Rank 0

Medium Outsider (Native)
+2 Str, +2 Cha
Speed 30 ft
Darkvision 60 ft

Moral Exemption - The Nephilim does not need to meet moral requirements when wielding either holy or unholy weapons. Additionally, the Nephilim ignores moral requirements when using any magic items. However, he still takes damage according to his actual alignment with regards to such effects. And he still must meet ethical (Law/Chaos) requirements for relevant magic items.

Developing Wings (as per Vestigial Wings) - Nephilim wings take a while to develop, at this rank, they do still grant a +4 on Fly checks.

Natural Armor 2[b]

[B]Skill Training - Fly and Use Magic Device are always considered class skills

Spell-like Ability - Divine Favor 1/day, Caster level is equal to character level for this effect

Languages - Common and either Abyssal, Infernal, or Celestial. Aquires an additional language equal to starting Intelligence Modifier from Abyssal, Aklo, Celestial, Draconic, Giant, Infernal, and Sylvan

Rank 1 (Divergent Path)

+2 Wis, Celestial Resistances (Acid 5, Cold 5, Electricity 5), Gliding Wings

Or

+2 Int, Fiendish Resistances (Cold 5, Electricity 5, Fire 5), Gliding Wings (does not suffer falling damage and can glide 5 ft for every 1 ft fallen)

Rank 2

+2 Dex, Natural Armor 3, Divine Favor 3/day

Rank 3 (Divergent Path)

+2 Str, Wings of Light and Shadow (Fly Speed 40 ft (Average), Non-Physical), Natural Armor 5

Or

+2 Cha, Wings of Light and Shadow (Fly Speed 40 ft (Good), Non-Physical), Racial Energy Resistances increase to 10

Rank 4

+2 Str, Fly 60 ft (Maneuverability Good), Divine Power 1/day (Caster level equals character level for this effect)

Rank 5
Increase one ability score of your choice to increase by +4, Fly 80 ft (Maneuverability Perfect), Divine Power 3/day

For Wings of Light and Shadow, the physical wings that the Nephilim develops fade away, projecting into the different Transitive Planes (typically Astral, Ethereal, and Shadow). Because of this, the Nephilim can be grounded through Dimensional Anchor. However, the wings cannot be affected otherwise, even with ghost touch weapons as they only link the Material and Ethereal planes. Despite their multiplanar nature, they are an Extraordinary ability rather than a Supernatural one. Visually, the wings can remain hidden, but when on display, they shed an effect that acts as either a Light or Darkness effect, centered on the Nephilim.

Crown of Light and Shadow
Prerequisites - Nephilim Rank 3, Wings of Light and Shadow
Benefits - When the Nephilim displays their wings, they may also manifest a Halo of similar energy. This grants the Frightful Presence ability out to a range of 30 ft (DC is 10 + Half the Nephilim's level + the Nephilim's Charisma Modifier). This feat also grants a permanent +2 to the Nephilim's Charisma whether or not it uses this ability.

heavyfuel
2019-12-03, 09:03 AM
Honestly, I find it way too strong. It starts out as an already strong race, but then you give up feats for some really good stuff.

If there was a feat called "Sprout wings" which required Character level 11 and granted +2 to an ability score, permanent flight with good maneuverability and speed, and +2 AC, it would be a no-brainer feat for any character who isn't desperately starved for feats.

Sure giving up half your feats sucks, but builds that aren't super dependant on feats - casters, who already dominate the game with just spells, come to mind - won't care about losing a few feats for these features.

I'd tone down almost every rank

Rank 0 - Nat AC to +0; no UMD as a class skill
Rank 1 - OK
Rank 2 - Nat AC to +1
Rank 3 - No ability score increase, Nat AC to +3
Ranks 4 and 5 - OK

Bansheexero
2019-12-03, 08:36 PM
Sounds fair, it is a lot, thanks. Any other things that stand out. I went to the middle ground for Natural AC

Nephilim

Rank 0

Medium Outsider (Native)
+2 Str, +2 Cha
Speed 30 ft
Darkvision 60 ft

Moral Exemption - Regardless actual moral alignment (Good, Neutral, Evil), the Nephilim is treated as both for the sake of which is more beneficial when meeting prerequisites for classes and feats. This allows an Evil Nephilim to take levels as a Paladin and simultaneously wield an unholy weapon (as per his actual alignment. This does not affect the Ethical axis of alignment (Lawful, Neutral, Chaotic), and that is handle normally.

The Nephilim still takes damage according to his actual alignment with regards to such effects. For instance, a magical circle vs Good would still affect an Evil Nephilim as if it were evil, and can ignore magic circle vs evil.

Developing Wings (as per Vestigial Wings) - Nephilim wings take a while to develop, at this rank, they do still grant a +4 on Fly checks.

Skill Training - Fly is always considered class skills

Languages - Common and either Abyssal, Infernal, or Celestial. Aquires an additional language equal to starting Intelligence Modifier from Abyssal, Aklo, Celestial, Draconic, Giant, Infernal, and Sylvan

Rank 1 (Divergent Path)

Celestial Resistances (Acid 5, Cold 5, Electricity 5), Gliding Wings (does not suffer falling damage and can glide 5 ft for every 1 ft fallen)

Or

Fiendish Resistances (Cold 5, Electricity 5, Fire 5), Gliding Wings (does not suffer falling damage and can glide 5 ft for every 1 ft fallen)

Rank 2

+2 Charisma, Natural Armor 2, Moral Exemption now allows Nephilim to wield and use magic items as both a good and evil creature, whichever is more beneficial, and may even ignore moral limitations with items when using Use Magic Device.

Rank 3 (Divergent Path)

Wings (Fly Speed 40 ft (Average), Natural Armor 3

Or

Wings (Fly Speed 40 ft (Average)), Racial Energy Resistances increase to 10

Rank 4

***Wings of Light and Shadow, Fly 60 ft (Good), Divine Power 1/day (Caster level equals character level for this effect). Amoral Subtype (the Nephilim can ignore damage and effects based on moral alignment, but still receives benefits from effects dependent upon it)

Rank 5
Increase one ability score of your choice by +2, Fly 80 ft (Perfect)

*For Wings of Light and Shadow, the physical wings that the Nephilim develops fade away, projecting into the different Transitive Planes (typically Astral, Ethereal, and Shadow), though still visible by a corona of pale light and flickering shadow. Because of this, the Nephilim can only be grounded through Dimensional Anchor. The wings cannot be affected otherwise, even with ghost touch weapons as they only link the Material and Ethereal planes. Despite their multiplanar nature, they are an Extraordinary ability rather than a Supernatural one. Visually, the wings can remain hidden unless the Nephilim is flying, but when on display, they shed an effect that acts as either a Light or Darkness effect, centered on the Nephilim.

Crown of Light and Shadow
Prerequisites - Nephilim Rank 3, Wings of Light and Shadow
Benefits - When the Nephilim displays their wings, they may also manifest a Halo of similar energy as a free actions. This grants the Frightful Presence ability out to a range of 30 ft (DC is 10 + Half the Nephilim's level + the Nephilim's Charisma Modifier)