PDA

View Full Version : All hail Miko! And Rich. Not for her own sake but because she Makes People Think.

hamishspence
2007-10-19, 05:48 PM
Seriously, has anything made people think about Big Issues more than Miko? Why is she the most talked about character on the board? Because she stirs up strong feeling one way or another.

Of course, there may be people who are completely indifferent to her one way or another, and want anyone to quit talking about it, and their views should be respected, but, for my part?

Controversy! Moral Discussions!

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-19, 06:28 PM
:furious: Miko. Must. Burn. :furious:
I swear to all things holy, unholy, and insane if I see another Miko thread, I will have to kill someone. Probibly the starter of the thread. So watch out...

Solmage
2007-10-19, 06:31 PM
Muahahahahaha!!

We're breaking their spirit! Carry on everyone! We need MORE Miko threads! And random Miko anecdotes and comparisons in any other non Miko threads!

Today, this board, tomorrow, the world!!

DrowWolfrider
2007-10-19, 06:55 PM
I think Miko is such a contovery because she was made by it. She is bigoted, biased and arrogant, but she is also noble, honorable and loyal. People will either love her, hate her or just not care. I think Rich new that when he made her which is why he continued her along the path she went. it stressed all of her strengths but her weaknesses overcame her. I think if she had had the time to think that she had sayed that she needed after she killed Shojo she may have turned around and reilized the error of his ways. Unfortunatly, or mabye fortunatly, Roy stopped her and started insulting her and we just have a downward spiral from there. Even though, when she died she died doing what she, in the present situation, thought was right. If the key to destroying the Universe was about to be captured by a being of pure evil, and he could only be stopped momentarily, would you have let said key fall into the hands of your enemy? Of course, this was not neccesary, as Soon was able to stop both Zykon and Redcloak, but how could she know that? She may not be good and may have issues, but she still did what, in her own brain damaged way, she thought was right. Even if she is an arrogant narrowminded, foolish and mean bigot. That is why people either hate or lover her in my opinion.

The Extinguisher
2007-10-19, 07:03 PM
The mark of a wonderful antagonist is that some will love her to no end, and some will hate her with every fibre of thier being, but both sides will express thier opinions on her so complete and unwavering.

She was a wonderful antagonist. Whether you loved her or hated her character, you must admit that she made a perfect good-aligned antagonist.

mause
2007-10-19, 07:03 PM
you like or not I can see:

Miko meting Roy in Heaven because she is LG = Miko resurrection.

and redemption:smallsmile:

muajajajaj *sinister laugh*

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-19, 07:05 PM
you like or not I can see:

Miko meting Roy in Heaven because she is LG = Miko resurrection.

and redemption:smallsmile:

muajajajaj *sinister laugh*

If Miko comes back I will personally sneak into Rich's studio/house/appartment/whatever and delete her from ever strip.

Hood
2007-10-20, 10:51 PM
Never argue about hunting someone down with a person that has a sniper as an avatar :smalleek:

Ing
2007-10-20, 11:23 PM
Seriously, has anything made people think about Big Issues more than Miko? Why is she the most talked about character on the board? Because she stirs up strong feeling one way or another.

Of course, there may be people who are completely indifferent to her one way or another, and want anyone to quit talking about it, and their views should be respected, but, for my part?

Controversy! Moral Discussions!

*SLAP*

The most arguments from Pro-Miko people are logical fallacies trying to bend a fictional reality to their idealized view of a character. It's BS and damn annoying.

Really I don't mind Miko I loved her story line but the delusional twits who call themselves "fans" do a great disservice to her with their inane and DAMN constant yammering. Being a fan of a character does NOT mean excusing every wrong action and portraying EVERYONE opposing them as villains. We call that Sephiroth syndrome

Paladin29
2007-10-21, 06:03 AM
I like Miko as an antagonist, yeah, but she was the worst paladin ever. She represents the worst part of Law, she was a self-righteous tyrant, and at the end she becomes a traitor. She was no good people, she has a twisted view of honor and sometimes lacks of compassion.

However she was a good character and antagonist, and i enjoy with her part in the story.

Wolfman42666
2007-10-21, 06:42 AM
Does it really matter, she was a brillant character, as are all Mr. Burlew's, but she's dead now. It's over. Just because uou can speculate on an issue doesn't mean you should, maybe she'll come back, maybe she won't.

Really what more needs to be said on the matter?

The Glyphstone
2007-10-21, 06:50 AM
Well, anyone who's read No Cure For The Paladin Blues knows:

Miko has been confirmed as a reoccuring character throughout the OotS storyline. So unless Rich is ending at 500, we'll see her at least once more.

Alfryd
2007-10-21, 07:26 AM
The most arguments from [Anti]-Miko people are logical fallacies trying to bend a fictional reality to their [demonized] view of a character. It's BS and damn annoying.
Typos. Fixed.
Seriously, the number of people who think Miko should have Fallen for killing Samantha, say, are mind-boggling.

evileeyore
2007-10-21, 11:15 AM
Today, this board, tomorrow, the world!!I have witnessed threads on other boards which began as simple "I Like OotS" threads that devolved into "Miko Threads".

It is a thing of beauty.

Kish
2007-10-21, 11:19 AM

Miko has been confirmed as a reoccuring character throughout the OotS storyline. So unless Rich is ending at 500, we'll see her at least once more.

I think it's a mistake to take that to mean Rich can't/won't/hasn't killed her off, permanently, when her story reached its end.

Shatteredtower
2007-10-21, 11:22 AM
Really I don't mind Miko I loved her story line but the delusional twits who call themselves "fans" do a great disservice to her with their inane and DAMN constant yammering. Being a fan of a character does NOT mean excusing every wrong action and portraying EVERYONE opposing them as villains. We call that Sephiroth syndromeSomeone needs a serious time out.

Seriously, you are not compelled to read anyone's posts. It's not like I visit your home at night, tie you up, and blare slogans into your ear with a megaphone. Stop whining.

And stop getting your arguments confused. Understanding Miko doesn't get her a free pass for what she's done. Conversely, her wrongs do not give those who've wronged her in kind a free pass either.

2007-10-21, 11:41 AM

I'm so SICK of people citing this.

Things change. Rich may have decided not to do this. He thought V was a dude until he saw that people couldn't tell. He wanted something special to happen at strip 100, but had to much goblin teenager story.

A writer dosn't have anything planned out totally in advance. Rich may not have known how Miko would destroy the gate when he wrote the commentary for Paladin Blues. Things may have shifted around in his head since then.

Gawd.

Shatteredtower
2007-10-21, 12:07 PM
Things change. Rich may have decided not to do this.Quite so. However, if he did change his mind, I hope he'll mention that in the next book.

I kind of wish he'd mention it on the forum, in fact, assuming he has changed his mind. It would settle things a bit. We've had less argument about Belkar's alignment since his post on that subject.

He thought V was a dude until he saw that people couldn't tell.Is that mentioned in one of the books?

2007-10-21, 12:10 PM
Is that mentioned in one of the books?

Yes, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, I believe.

EvilElitest
2007-10-21, 12:12 PM
:furious: Miko. Must. Burn. :furious:
I swear to all things holy, unholy, and insane if I see another Miko thread, I will have to kill someone. Probibly the starter of the thread. So watch out...

they do seem to be a lot of these threads i notice
from,
EE

Holammer
2007-10-21, 12:36 PM
One of these days I'll make my own Miko thread. But I can only nod in approval. Miko was a good character and the reactions she provokes from OOTS readers further proves what a good multifaceted character she was.

Paladin29
2007-10-21, 01:20 PM
yeah, good character, bad paladin.

Kish
2007-10-22, 04:00 PM
Yes, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, I believe.
No. No book says Vaarsuvius was originally supposed to be male.

EldritchExMachina
2007-10-22, 04:03 PM
Apathetic statement about the prevalance of Miko threads.

Griffon
2007-10-22, 06:30 PM
She makes people think? She makes people say stupid crap.

My head hurts from the Miko complex going on over here.

It's time to move on.

Corsair
2007-10-22, 07:39 PM
Yeah, she was real honorable and noble. Shojo can attest to that.

Fish
2007-10-22, 07:43 PM
I don't like Miko. I appreciate her as a well-drawn character, a flawed portrait of what Lawful Good can be.

I suspect she will return, because I believe her character arc is incomplete. She has not, as Soon said, admitted fault; she has not sought, nor does she qualify for, redemption for her past misdeeds.

As powerful as her death scene was, I believe it will be more powerful still to see the scales fall from her eyes, where she has a momentary opportunity to grasp at absolution. And I'd like to see her return, because that redemption will be painful, and I think she's earned more pain than she's been dealt.

Miko is Anakin Skywalker in Episodes I-III. Her story could end here, with Miko as an unalloyed villain, but it wouldn't be satisfying (to me, at least).