PDA

View Full Version : Oath or Heroism + Mastermind Rogue

nickl_2000
2019-12-01, 02:27 PM
So, I'm playing a newly level 3 Oath of Heroism Paladin with a ranged mastermind rogue in the party. Is that really as good as it seems like it will be? What else can I do to make it better as a single classed VHuman Paladin?

Also, what are the feelings on Expeditious Retreat to help me get into Melee Range faster, is it worth doing it? Or am I wasting a smite?

The rest of the party of a Open Hand Monk and Cleric 1/Wizard (something) 2.

CheddarChampion
2019-12-01, 03:08 PM
Expeditious Retreat is good for turns where you need some extra distance to hit a foe on the same turn. Since it is a bonus action, don't bother pre-casting it like your channel divinity - just use it on the same turn you need extra distance.

Does the Mastermind go for ranged or melee attacks?
If melee, take shield master. It'll help the rogue, the monk, shouldn't affect the wizard, and might help you if your DM says you can shove prone first. The rogue's help action can apply to your shove attempt if advantage for all makes more sense for the battle.
If ranged, take sentinel. The rogue will be able to bonus action help you more often if the enemies don't try to slip past you and attack the rogue, but YMMV if your DM doesn't use tactics such as that.

nickl_2000
2019-12-01, 03:11 PM
The rogue is mainly ranged, so shield master will likely cause more problems than help. Also, It will be level 8 before I get a feat. I’ve got a 19 in charisma and a 13 in Con that need a boost at level 4