PDA

View Full Version : Range Penalties to Perception in PF2.0?

bannondorf
2019-12-01, 03:52 PM
I was digging through pathfinder 2e rules today and noticed perception doesn't mention anything about range affecting Perception DCs, in D&D 3, 3.5 and PF1 there was a +1 to the DC of perception for each 10ft away a check was made from. I dont see any mention of that now. is it just a GM discretion thing? maybe base DC if they are close and at difficulty boost the farther away or the more junk is in the way such as doors and the like? if there are detailed rules can someone reference the page? thanks.

CapnZapp
2021-02-02, 09:17 AM
There are no rules related to distance.

This is true for both modern D&D systems. Neither D&D 5 nor PF2 bothers with general rules that make it harder to see, hear or otherwise notice stuff further away.

CapnZapp
2021-02-02, 09:25 AM
I could add that the d20/PF1 rule was already back then ridiculously harsh. It would certainly make no sense in the context of Pathfinder 2.

Nearly always things are 30, 60 or 100 away. To get a -3, -6, or a -10 penalty to perceive those things would be unheard of in a game where every +1 or -1 is hard to get. Compare how even when you are asleep the only penalty to reacting is -4 Initiative!

At most I would say that if the thing is on the battleboard, there's no penalty.

If it's further away, or there's another reason (such as a constant loud noise for hearing checks), apply the "Hard" modifier from Adjusting Difficulty: -2 to your Perception check.

If it's seriously way off, conditions are really harsh (a windstorm, heavy snowfall, trying to smell something in an abattoir) maybe it's Very Hard: -5.

Only in epic cases would you want to apply the Incredibly Hard modifier of -10.

Zapp

Adjusting Difficulty references the core rulebook page 503, table 10-6. Or here:
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=555

Tanarii
2021-02-02, 09:50 AM
Anything as loud as a normal conversation sounds like a whisper at 30ft and can't be heard at all around 60ft. Yelling might double that. Use that as your baseline.