PDA

View Full Version : PAM, staff & shield optimization ?

da newt
2019-12-01, 06:00 PM
How would you optimize a shield and staff/spear PAM build and WHY? My objective is 55%DPR / 45%tank.

Some thoughts: Vhuman, fighter, dueling fighting style, but then what to really dial it up to 11?

Maybe dip warlock for Hex. Dip Druid for Shilleighly. Palock or Sorcadin for bunches of smiles.

Lastly, level 1 effectiveness is just as important as level 20.

I've got a bugbear barbearian 4, BM fighter 6 that is pretty good. But what could I have done to be even better?

Mr Adventurer
2019-12-01, 06:05 PM
I don't think Spear works with PAM? Or have I missed an errata?

nickl_2000
2019-12-01, 06:06 PM
I don't think Spear works with PAM? Or have I missed an errata?

You missed an errata, it works for both spear and staff now.

Yunru
2019-12-01, 06:08 PM
Well first you need Sentinel, or you'll be 0% tank.

CheddarChampion
2019-12-01, 06:23 PM
I'd go with Paladin instead of fighter. +1d8 damage per attack (level 11, IDS) on up to 4 attacks per round is better than another attack with 1d6+7 damage.
Then there's stuff like divine favor, crusader's mantle, and magic/elemental/holy weapon to boost that further.
For example: V. Human Paladin (any oath) 20, 16/10/15/8/10/14 to start, PAM, Dueling Style, Str+2, Str+2, Sentinel, Resilient (Constitution), Cha+2

Or you could go with V. Human EK 1/Cleric 9/EK+11 16/10/14/8/15/10 PAM, Dueling Style, Str+2, Str+2, Sentinel, Resilient (Wisdom), Warcaster to rush Holy Weapon, start with Con save proficiency, and eventually get 3 attacks, a bonus action attack, and a reaction attack all boosted by HW.

Finally, Tenser's Transformation pairs great with PAM builds. Perhaps V. Human Fighter 1/Wizard 11/Whatever X, 16/10/14/14/10/10, PAM, Dueling Style, Str+2, Str+2, Sentinel, Warcaster (add on booming blade), Lucky. The buff gives the same damage increase as HW, but gives you extra attack (1) and advantage on weapon attack rolls, but it's a 6th level slot instead of a 5th.

nickl_2000
2019-12-01, 06:24 PM
So, it depends on the DM. If shillelagh makes the bonus action attack do 1d8, it is worth getting. Otherwise probably not.

PAM should be your level 1 feat as a variant human and sentinel as 4. After that you can boost however you like. Anything that boosts damage will add onto that, brute fighter, hex, hunters mark, whatever.

CTurbo
2019-12-01, 06:29 PM
Vhuman Battle Master Fighter with Polearm Master feat. Use spear + shield and take the Dueling style.
Take Spear Master and Sentinel feats at level 4 and 6 in either order. Max Str after that.
Use maneuvers to full effect.
Enjoy!

Want more goodness? Take 3 levels of Ranger for the Defense style, Hunter's Mark, and either Gloom Stalker for a super first round and darkvision, or Hunter for Colossus Slayer for extra damage. Bonus points if you can take the UA Revised Ranger for more betterness and Favored Enemy(Humanoids). Hitting the 13 Dex and Wis multiclass pre-req shouldn't be hard. Just dump Int and Cha.

After 3 levels of Ranger? Start taking some Forge Cleric levels for more spell slots and more AC bonuses

dreast
2019-12-01, 07:04 PM
Anyone mentioned how this feat interacts with War Caster?

nickl_2000
2019-12-01, 07:20 PM
Anyone mentioned how this feat interacts with War Caster?

How so? What part would be an issue with war caster?

sithlordnergal
2019-12-02, 06:27 AM
I have a PAM/Shillelagh/Quarterstaff user. My build is a little out there, as I went Paladin/Sorcerer/Druid, but a simple Paladin/Sorcerer with Magic Initiate for Shillelagh works just as well. Its especially good if you can get your hands on a Staff of Power.

Just keep in mind, the Bonus Attack is mostly there to allow another potential Smite as a Paladin. A d4 attack is nice, but not great on its own. Also, go dueling or defense with this build. You'll be able to use a Shield, so your defenses will be pretty darn good. Finally, you will want to get War Caster, so it is a bit feat heavy

dreast
2019-12-02, 06:34 AM

“While you are wielding a [polearm], other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.“

It doesn’t say the attack has to be made with the weapon.

+

“When a hostile creatures’ movement provokes an attack of opportunity from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack...”

Yeah, it has to target only the creature, but unlike twin spell it doesn’t have to be only capable of targeting one creature.

Having an enemy move toward or to you is a lot more common than having them move away. Vengeance paladins especially love this one (hold person, hold monster), but any caster that can use their shield (cleric/paladin) or the staff (wizard/sorc/warlock/druid) as a focus can use the rest of war caster on top of that to get lots of opportunity spells off.

For real cheese, although it doesn’t work for the original post’s needs, a full caster who lugs around a halberd can have reaction spells against anyone who moves to within ten feet of them (positioning themselves behind the sentinel tank meatshield) without ever actually swinging the weapon... so long as the spell only targets that enemy, and even without proficiency in the halberd.

Scorching ray from the halberdwizard!

Note: this strategy is best employed by V. Humans, for obvious reasons.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-12-02, 06:39 AM

The opposite of an issue.

PAM:
While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, quarterstaff, or spear, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.

War Caster:
When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

It is great if you want to use this part of war caster more consistently.

Anyway, in order to be a tank you need to be annoying enough to be a target.

You can do it with disables like sentinel or just pure damage like a sorcadin or any other way you can think of.