PDA

View Full Version : Evil and/or Scourge Redemption Paladin

NecessaryWeevil
2019-12-01, 06:43 PM
Hey Playground,

An idea just popped into my head that an Evil and/or Scourge Aasimar Redemption Paladin would be interesting. Possibly, but not necessarily, Evil not in motivation but in methods: a "scare them straight" kind of approach. Has anyone played anything remotely like this? Would appreciate both mechanics and RP suggestions as I haven't thought it through very far yet. I play in a stable and long-term weekly gaming group and we're usually careful to design characters that 'work' with each other.

Millstone85
2019-12-01, 06:47 PM
As I understand it, a protector or scourge aasimar who turns to evil becomes a fallen aasimar.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-12-01, 10:55 PM
Okay. So maybe not evil and Scourge. Anyone else?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-12-01, 11:04 PM
Saying this as an incredibly biased (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583098-Violence-as-a-Last-Resort-A-Guide-to-the-Oath-of-Redemption-Paladin) fan of the Redemption Paladin specifically, you'd have to completely rewrite the tenants of the oath for it to function for an evil character. The class features don't really mesh with being evil either, they emphasize selflessness and pacifism unless absolutely necessary.

Nothing wrong with being a Scourge Aasimar, I think it brings a nice dichotomy to your blood inside you telling you that all evil must be destroyed when your oath tells you that some evil can be saved.

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-01, 11:19 PM
So, the OP said they aren't thinking of a character whose motivation is to do evil, but rather one whose methods are ethically dubious. I will check tomorrow (AFB), but there are any number of ways you could make that character.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-12-01, 11:57 PM
So, the OP said they aren't thinking of a character whose motivation is to do evil, but rather one whose methods are ethically dubious. I will check tomorrow (AFB), but there are any number of ways you could make that character.

I'd be interested in either, but I accept that the former is difficult if not impossible. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Teaguethebean
2019-12-02, 12:13 AM
You could play an extremely unstable character who leaves your foes alive only to take them away and torture them until they are broken and feel they have no choice but to serve your "heroic" goals. No villain thinks they are the bad guy.

T.G. Oskar
2019-12-02, 02:48 AM
When I think about a Fallen Aasimar choosing the Oath of Redemption, I can't help but think of the Hellbred. If you ever heard of 3.5, this was a race made late in the edition's cycle, on one of the books devoted to Fiends (specifically, the Fiendish Codex II, which detailed the denizens of the Nine Hells of Baator). Hellbred were unique in that they're basically damned souls allowed to reincarnate in order to have a second chance. Their corruption is obvious, allowing them to be treated as evil creatures for purposes of items they could choose and be able to choose from specific feats, but the key thing they had is the aspect of earning redemption - that if they fought their evil nature, they could eventually end up in the Upper Planes as a reward. A Fallen Aasimar could work this way; an Aasimar that was born with all the celestial gifts, but decided to embrace evil, seduced by its lure. However, at a certain pivotal point in its life, the Aasimar faced the true face of Evil (note the use of capital letters), and it haunted it to such extent that it changed its mind. At this moment, the powers of Good give it the choice to earn the power to face Evil. The Aasimar, knowing that others could be lured by evil in the same way, makes an oath to save others. Thus, it chooses the Oath of Redemption - after having embraced evil to the extent it corrupted its holy nature, the Aasimar now has made its life task to save those who have embraced evil without realizing the horrifying nature of true Evil.

A Scourge Aasimar would have an inner conflict. On one hand, its own nature longs for the violent destruction of Evil, and its power is contained in such a way that desires release. On the other hand, it knows that not everyone who is evil deserves destruction. Note the tenet of Wisdom from the Oath of Redemption - it states that each Redeemer Paladin knows that there is evil that won't be redeemed by any means, no matter what. Those are the ones that need to be destroyed. Thus, you have a character who's a "powder keg (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Powder_Keg_of_Justice)" - push it just a little bit too far, and it'll explode spectacularly.

In short: a Fallen Aasimar that chooses the Oath of Redemption will tell you that everyone can be saved, and they are the best example of it. A Scourge Aasimar that chooses the Oath of Redemption is essentially Sir Peter Fairgrave telling that epic speech to Zariel while its eyes are shining like two miniature suns. (In other words - both are epic ways to make a character. Go wild.)

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-02, 07:33 AM
OK, so looking at this again, the Oath of Redemption emphasizes converting others to your way of thinking by being resilient, charismatic, and not hitting back. I think there are two compelling ways to create a character who uses this for evil or wicked purposes.

One way is to play an evangelist for evil. You serve your Dark Lord/Lady by infiltrating the realms of good and showing them that there's a better way. You build others up, convincing them that your Dark Lord/Lady is more aligned with their best interest. "You don't need to obey that ridiculous ranger from the wilds, prince of Smondor. You've lived here for decades. You know there's no way to beat the Dark Lord/Lady, but there is a way to make sure your people survive - and why wouldn't they, under your enlightened leadership?" When the poor misguided fool inevitably strikes at you, their weapons turn aside from the power of sanctuary or stoneskin. You show the power of your Dark Lord/Lady through peace, offering them the hand of friendship, even adventuring to show them how useful the power of the Dark Lord/Lady can be. You are the diplomat of darkness, the silk glove over the Dark Lord/Lady's iron fist.

I think the best option is to code them as a controlling individual. You're playing the cult leader, the one who "knows what's best." You capture your enemies, offering them mercy and imprisoning them. Through patient conversation and debate, through kindness and restraint (words like "gaslighting" and "brainwashing" are so cliche), you show them that the path they walked before was for fools. If they try to escape, well, you've got sleep and Otiluke's resilient sphere. You convince them that you are their only hope to live a better life. Then you accompany them to their home, using your patsy acolyte to help you manipulate their allies to become your allies. You use the same manipulative tactics to ensure these individuals are devoted to and reliant on you. Think of it like playing Jordan Peterson, but with magic!

Hope these help.