View Full Version : Artificers and spell scrolls

moonfly7
2019-12-01, 08:26 PM
So, I was looking through a magic items list when I realised something:
1st level scroll are common items, and 2nd and 3rd level scrolls are uncommon.(And yeah, I know cantrips are common too, but I already knew that)
Here's why this is an important revelation: artificers can make any common magic item into an infusion, meaning at the very least they can always have at least one spell scroll on them for free. And it might even be more if you consider say, a scroll of burning hands to be a different magic item than a scroll of thunderwave.
But it doesn't stop there. At 10th level scrolls from level 0-3 would be ridiculously cheap to craft, and that means you could load up on all kinds of spells, making the artificer as prep time centered as a pathfinder wizard who maxed out item crafting. This is beyond a doubt something that's important, and no one's mentioned it yet, so I have to ask, do I have it all wrong? Or can we really pack a butt ton of scrolls as a level 10 artificer?

Dork_Forge
2019-12-01, 08:36 PM
It could prove troublesome if your DM used the complications table (or amybe even modifies it for how many you're creating) otherwise it seems right, you essentially give yourself a bunch of slot free casting. I'm getting ready to play a 3rd level Artificer now and this didn't occur to me, I just made a Potion of healing in pregame so far as a back up heal. I can safely say I'm about ot blow my money on crafting scrolls now, thanks!

Edit: Bonus thought, the Artificer list encompasses spells from many lists. So you could craft scrolls for your party (at cost with a service fee, of course), now your Paladin can Smite away knowing they have a couple of scrolls of Cure Wounds, Bless etc. tucked into their breastplate.

Greywander
2019-12-01, 08:43 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. Keep in mind that to scribe a scroll you must have the spell prepared, so you're limited to spells on the artificer list, unless you multiclass. You also get Spell Storing Item one level later, at 11, which sort of acts like a scroll with 10 or so charges. It's definitely a neat trick, but I don't think it's terribly broken, as you have other ways of achieving similar results that don't require gold and downtime.

And it might even be more if you consider say, a scroll of burning hands to be a different magic item than a scroll of thunderwave.
I've seen this mentioned before, but where are people getting the interpretation that you can only put each infusion onto one item? The way I'm reading the ability, it seems like you could put the same infusion on all of your infused items. Thus, "1st level spell scroll" as a single infusion would let you infuse multiple scrolls, each potentially with a different spell. That's probably too strong, though, so there probably should be separate infusions for each individual spell.

Edit: "Each of your infusions can be in only one object at a time." Huh, didn't notice that bit. I'm not sure what to think of this.

moonfly7
2019-12-01, 08:59 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. Keep in mind that to scribe a scroll you must have the spell prepared, so you're limited to spells on the artificer list, unless you multiclass. You also get Spell Storing Item one level later, at 11, which sort of acts like a scroll with 10 or so charges. It's definitely a neat trick, but I don't think it's terribly broken, as you have other ways of achieving similar results that don't require gold and downtime.

I've seen this mentioned before, but where are people getting the interpretation that you can only put each infusion onto one item? The way I'm reading the ability, it seems like you could put the same infusion on all of your infused items. Thus, "1st level spell scroll" as a single infusion would let you infuse multiple scrolls, each potentially with a different spell. That's probably too strong, though, so there probably should be separate infusions for each individual spell.

Edit: "Each of your infusions can be in only one object at a time." Huh, didn't notice that bit. I'm not sure what to think of this.

Your right that you have to know the spell to make a Spell scroll normally. But infusions are not normal magic items, so you can make any cantrip or 1st level spell you want if you use the artificer infusion, since it says you can choose any common magic item as an infusion. ANY. So you don't need to meet requirements, since your not making it normally, it just kinda appears.
You could use this to, over time, teach your wizard every first level wizard spell and cantrip in the game.

Greywander
2019-12-01, 09:04 PM
Well, wizards can't copy cantrips into their spellbook, but yeah, you could grab spells not on your spell list via a spell scroll infusion, which is a nice plus. If each individual spell is its own infusion, it's probably less useful for getting spells for your wizard, since you can only swap out an infusion when you level up. If "1st level spell scroll" is a single infusion, though, your wizard friend will love you, as you can get them every 1st level spell in one go.

stoutstien
2019-12-01, 09:11 PM
So, I was looking through a magic items list when I realised something:
1st level scroll are common items, and 2nd and 3rd level scrolls are uncommon.(And yeah, I know cantrips are common too, but I already knew that)
Here's why this is an important revelation: artificers can make any common magic item into an infusion, meaning at the very least they can always have at least one spell scroll on them for free. And it might even be more if you consider say, a scroll of burning hands to be a different magic item than a scroll of thunderwave.
But it doesn't stop there. At 10th level scrolls from level 0-3 would be ridiculously cheap to craft, and that means you could load up on all kinds of spells, making the artificer as prep time centered as a pathfinder wizard who maxed out item crafting. This is beyond a doubt something that's important, and no one's mentioned it yet, so I have to ask, do I have it all wrong? Or can we really pack a butt ton of scrolls as a level 10 artificer?

I don't see how you can make any common item as an infusion. The items are restricted to the replicable items and the common magic items from Xanathars: common magic items.
I think you are using the table that adds the item to the DMG randomized table.

moonfly7
2019-12-01, 09:19 PM
Well, wizards can't copy cantrips into their spellbook, but yeah, you could grab spells not on your spell list via a spell scroll infusion, which is a nice plus. If each individual spell is its own infusion, it's probably less useful for getting spells for your wizard, since you can only swap out an infusion when you level up. If "1st level spell scroll" is a single infusion, though, your wizard friend will love you, as you can get them every 1st level spell in one go.

Yeah. See, the item is called 1st level spell scroll in the book, which I'm taking to mean: you make a 1st level scroll, you choose which.

Throne12
2019-12-02, 12:29 AM
You cant make spell scrolls with Replicate Magic Item. Spellscrolls arnt on the list.

Using this infusion, you replicate a particular magic item. You can learn this infusion multiple times; each time you do so, choose a magic item that you can make with it, picking from the Replicable Items tables below. A table’s title tells you the level you must be in the class to choose an item from the table.

In the tables, an item’s entry tells you whether the item requires attunement. See the item’s description in the Dungeon Master’s Guide for more information about it, including the type of object required for its making.

If you have Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, you can choose from among the common magic items in that book when you pick a magic item you can replicate with this infusion.

Magic Item list
Alchemy jug
Armblade
Bag of holding
Cap of water breathing
Goggles of night
Prosthetic limb
Rope of climbing
Sending stones
Wand of magic detection
Wand of secrets

So you can rather pick from this list or any magic item in xgte which spells scrolls are not in it to pick from.

moonfly7
2019-12-02, 08:03 PM
You cant make spell scrolls with Replicate Magic Item. Spellscrolls arnt on the list.

Using this infusion, you replicate a particular magic item. You can learn this infusion multiple times; each time you do so, choose a magic item that you can make with it, picking from the Replicable Items tables below. A table’s title tells you the level you must be in the class to choose an item from the table.

In the tables, an item’s entry tells you whether the item requires attunement. See the item’s description in the Dungeon Master’s Guide for more information about it, including the type of object required for its making.

If you have Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, you can choose from among the common magic items in that book when you pick a magic item you can replicate with this infusion.

Magic Item list
Alchemy jug
Armblade
Bag of holding
Cap of water breathing
Goggles of night
Prosthetic limb
Rope of climbing
Sending stones
Wand of magic detection
Wand of secrets

So you can rather pick from this list or any magic item in xgte which spells scrolls are not in it to pick from.
thank you. I was however already informed, and I own the book. Thank you, I am aware.

Damon_Tor
2019-12-03, 10:41 AM

What exactly does "in that book" mean in this context though? Page 140 of XGTE includes a list of common magic items, and on that list is "spell scroll (1st level)" and "spell scroll (cantrip)". Does that make them "in the book"? I could see it being read that way.

However, it's relevant that the Artificer wouldn't actually be able to use a spell scroll from outside his class until level 10, when he gets the ability to ignore class restrictions on items. So this ability would be of somewhat marginal benefit even if one were to rule that it was possible.

stoutstien
2019-12-03, 10:49 AM
What exactly does "in that book" mean in this context though? Page 140 of XGTE includes a list of common magic items, and on that list is "spell scroll (1st level)" and "spell scroll (cantrip)". Does that make them "in the book"? I could see it being read that way.

However, it's relevant that the Artificer wouldn't actually be able to use a spell scroll from outside his class until level 10, when he gets the ability to ignore class restrictions on items. So this ability would be of somewhat marginal benefit even if one were to rule that it was possible.

Yes the editorial finish of Eberrion reminds me of first edition PHB. I would allow a player to pick common scrolls And potions (one spell per infusion)as part of the replicable items IF they are up front about it and not trying to pull some RAW silliness.
Might even put uncommon ones on the lv 10 list and rare on the 14th.

Contrast
2019-12-03, 06:16 PM
artificers can make any common magic item into an infusion, meaning at the very least they can always have at least one spell scroll on them for free.

I'd personally consider the cost of an infusion to be quite a hefty cost.