PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Martial Adept

Trandir
2019-12-02, 04:52 PM
So does the d6 eventually scale if you are a Battle Master?

Ventruenox
2019-12-02, 05:12 PM
Martial Adept's additional superiority die doesn't scale with Battle Master levels; the character with the feat simply has a separate d6 superiority die. (Battle Masters with the feat can expend either their regular superiority dice or their extra superiority die from the feat to use their maneuvers.)

Errata has been modified more than once.

Martial Adept (p. 168). The first sentence of the second benefit has been changed to “You gain one superiority die, which is a d6 (this die is added to any superiority dice you have from another source).”

Check with your DM, though. House rules at my table allow it to scale.

Trandir
2019-12-02, 05:31 PM

This is about RAW, I am sure that most DMs would allow it if not even let it scale on its own.

The feature:

Improved Combat Superiority
At 10th level, your superiority dice turn into d10s. At
18th level, they turn into d l2 s.

Is worded in a way that seems to make it scale since the feat's die is both "yours" and a superiority die.

Zhorn
2019-12-02, 09:11 PM
By strict RAW, the dice do not scale immediately by just being a Battle Master Fighter, but will scale when you reach Battle Master Fighter levels 10 and 18 with the feature Improved Combat Superiority.

Pre-Errata it would have scaled immediately to d8's at Battle Master Fighter level 3

Pre-Errata
Martial Adept
If you already have superiority dice, you gain one more; otherwise, you have one superiority die, which is a d6.

Post-Errata
Martial Adept
You gain one superiority die, which is a d6 (this die is added to any superiority dice you have from another source).

So that part ultimately comes down to what sources your table is using, but for the greater community; the post-errata wording is what we would go by.

Combat Superiority
Superiority Dice. You have four superiority dice, which are d8s.
Sets the size for pre-errata, but does not for post-errata due to the wording.

Improved Combat Superiority
At 10th level, your superiority dice turn into d10s. At 18th level, they turn into d12s.
With no distinction on sources, this applies to all superiority dice your character has.

Trandir
2019-12-03, 02:19 AM
By strict RAW, the dice do not scale immediately by just being a Battle Master Fighter, but will scale when you reach Battle Master Fighter levels 10 and 18 with the feature Improved Combat Superiority.

So by RAW it does scale but by RAI it doesn't?

Zhorn
2019-12-03, 02:59 AM
So by RAW it does scale but by RAI it doesn't?

Depends who you ask. Like Ventruenox says, the errata has been changed more than once on this feat, so it's a bit harder to tell what was intended. The only versions I can reference are my physical book (which matches the current errata), and a pdf from some pre-current-errata time, so while I know of the other versions, I cannot reference their precise wording.
I've read similar discussions in the past saying the RAI is the feat is supposed to be only a d6 and never scale, but without a designer's comment to attach to it, I cannot give them any more weight than "some rando on the internet".

Mike Mearl's has the opinion that the die is ALWAYS what the battle Master's dice are, but that tweet was made during a prior wording, and before the ruling of only Jeremy Crawford's Sage Advice responses counted as official.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/753993472189661184
it's one of whatever type the fighter now has; also upgrades with the fighter's other ones
If the RAI was for the dice to always scale, it does seem odd to change the wording.
But as you've said...
This is about RAW... so strictly going by the written word; there's no scaling of superiority dice until Battle Master Fighter level 10.

Chronos
2019-12-04, 10:15 AM
The fact that they errataed it suggest that they never intended for it to scale at all. But they were clumsy in how they wrote the rules, if that's what they intended, and so by RAW it does still scale, starting at level 10. Which is a good thing, because not scaling is a stupid rule, even if it is what they intended. And an even better thing is to just ignore the erratum completely, even though that's not RAW.

HiveStriker
2019-12-05, 07:08 AM
So does the d6 eventually scale if you are a Battle Master?

Martial Adept's additional superiority die doesn't scale with Battle Master levels; the character with the feat simply has a separate d6 superiority die. (Battle Masters with the feat can expend either their regular superiority dice or their extra superiority die from the feat to use their maneuvers.)

Errata has been modified more than once.

It does scale, by RAW and RAI.
"If you already have superiority dice, you gain one more".
Stop reading here: Battlemaster already has superiority dice, so the bonus one is mixed within.
So it will scale exactly like the others when you get Improved Manoeuvers.

The niche case was Variant Human picking the feat at level 1 then going Battlemaster. For which it was obvious you should "assimilate" the feat dice as soon as you got the archetype.