PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need a base creature or class for an odd PRC

J-H
2019-12-02, 11:34 PM
If you're playing in The Complex of Doom, please stay out of this thread.

The overall setting: A continent-sized underground dungeon, a mix of natural caves and worked stone.
The villain: A bug-swarmed themed "bad guy" (?) who is persistently bothering the Library Clan of Ogres (wizards and duskblades) for whatever reason. This is underground.
The PRC: Master of Flies, Savage Species pg. 80.
The Party: Level 7, no Tier 1 classes.

I'll pause here while you look up Master of Flies.

Yep, it's an NPC class. It gets tons of swarms to summon per day, but none of them do more than 2d6 swarm damage per round. I can stack multiple swarms in a given space at a time to bump that damage up, so I'm not too worried about that. It gives no native spellcasting, but I can change that (I'm the DM) to half progression or something.

The character will have an item granting limited Ethereal status several times per day, which he can use to pass through the rock. However, it does not grant sight. I need a base class (5-7 levels) and/or a base species with, ideally, all three of these characteristics:

1) Some sort of inherent scrying or distant sight ability that works through rock, so he can see where needs to go.
2) Some way to punch a narrow hole in a rock to gain line of effect for summoning swarms at a distance, or so that he can "swarm through" the hole himself in swarm form, then coalesce and start spellcasting.
3) Must come with some sort of shape-shifting ability, subtype, alternate form, etc.

Since I've started playing 5e, my skills are rusty. Right now I feel like I'm limited to either a druid-type, a warlock-type, or a couple of very specific wizard spells, and I'm having trouble coming up with any player races aside from elementals or shifters.

Kayblis
2019-12-03, 12:17 AM
The updated Quick Change requires Changeling as a race, but as you're using a 3.0 class, it's fitting to use the 3.0 feat as well for more options.

All you require is decent DEX and the ability to change shape. If you allow for spells to count, any class with Alter Self in their list would be able to enter it, but that's kinda cheating so let's look at some monstrous races:
-Rakshasas can change shape, and so can Succubi, but they're pretty high CR by their own. Natural spellcasting is great too.
-Any Werebeast can change forms, so a base race that has contracted lycanthropy can work as a base.
-Mimics can change form pretty liberally.
-Doppelgangers are the standard shape-shifting race for humanoids.
-Barghests are versatile and easily scalable during an adventure with their Feed ability. Mixes well with an all-consuming swarm theme.

StSword
2019-12-03, 04:42 AM
The Eidolon or Eidolomancer from Ghostwalk might be of interest.

They are ghost classes.

If nothing else, they qualify for ghost feats, which include a feat that gives the ghost the ability to shapeshift as if under alter self.

Doesn't come with a way to poke a hole through rock or far sight abilities (barring any spells since eidolomancers are casters), but with intangibility could hide in a wall and then poke their head out to throw swarms at people.

Good luck.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-12-03, 08:28 AM
Earth Dreamer, from Races of Stone, might be what you're looking for. Replaces etherealness with Earth Glide, too, which comes in handy, because castings spells onto the Material from the Ethereal is tricky (Transdimensional Spell works, I believe, but don't take my word for it).

J-H
2019-12-03, 09:43 AM
Thanks!

Barghest looks like a good base thematically as well - now, is there a good way to make small holes in stone before Stone Shape is an option?

Buufreak
2019-12-03, 10:55 AM
Somehow, I just knew you were talking about this class. Last time I used it, it was on an aranea. Super early, maybe first 5 entries in MM. Can't miss it.

Vaern
2019-12-03, 12:16 PM
I don't remember where it is or what it's called, but there's a creature somewhere that is itself basically a sentient swarm gathered into a humanoid form. I think it was kind of a setting-specific variant of the lich, in which a single surviving bug can form a new swarm and effectively recreate the base creature.
I'll look it up when I get home if I remember, unless someone else gets to it first.

liquidformat
2019-12-03, 02:02 PM
I don't remember where it is or what it's called, but there's a creature somewhere that is itself basically a sentient swarm gathered into a humanoid form. I think it was kind of a setting-specific variant of the lich, in which a single surviving bug can form a new swarm and effectively recreate the base creature.
I'll look it up when I get home if I remember, unless someone else gets to it first.

I think you might be referring to the hivenest template from dungeonscape, I think there might be another similar one in sandstorm but AFB. Vermin Lord from BoVD is another cool class that you might want to checkout. The Villainous Competitions on this site also have some very good bad guys you might check out those threads there are a lot of real gems in there and a couple that might fit your idea.

PraxisVetli
2019-12-03, 02:10 PM

I think you might be referring to the hivenest template from dungeonscape, I think there might be another similar one in sandstorm but AFB. Vermin Lord from BoVD is another cool class that you might want to checkout. The Villainous Competitions on this site also have some very good bad guys you might check out those threads there are a lot of real gems in there and a couple that might fit your idea.

Or it was the Worm that Walks? Elder Evils and somewhere else I thought?

Vaern
2019-12-03, 02:27 PM
Or it was the Worm that Walks? Elder Evils and somewhere else I thought?

That's the one I was thinking of. I don't know which book it's in, but it is available on the SRD (http://dndsrd.net/epicNonAbominations.html#Worm-that-Walks) under epic monsters so the epic level handbook may be a safe bet.

J-H
2019-12-03, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I am going with a Barghest w/ Master of Flies. I'm swapping the Charm Person out for Stone Shape 1/day - they are both at the same level.

Abzalon
2019-12-04, 04:38 AM
Hi,

Otherwise as a base race you have the Slyth in the underdark book, a race that can take the form of an ooze. with a bonus to dex and wis and a malus to Str (which you don't really care from what I can see).

You also have the Silthilar (Lord of Madness) as a monster which is a sentient swarm, capable of creating grafts.

anyway have fun with your swarms :)