PDA

View Full Version : Jaraxle?

Tom Riddle
2019-12-03, 09:56 AM
Hello all I'm starting a new campaign in the FR world and I need to make a new character. Now I know I've seen his stats posted somewhere but can't I can't find them. My goal is to make Jaraxle from the Drizzt series. I guess I start with Rogue and and max bluff and umd. Also will be taking leadership. Other than that I don't where to go. I talked to the DM and told him that I plan to make him leader of Bregan D'aerthe and he is okay with it. We will start At level 6 and got 20 and beyond. All books are available so go nuts but I was warned that any cheese I use will be thrown back at me.

So I come to ask for everyone help.

Troacctid
2019-12-03, 10:36 AM
According to Google, it looks like he's in Underdark.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-12-03, 11:24 AM
For Jarlaxle himself, the book Underdark on page 161 says the following: Jarlaxle (NE male drow Fighter 18), leader of the mercenary band Bregan D'aerthe.

First of all, nearly every iconic character in a D&D novel has plot powers that can't really be emulated via game mechanics.

Second, it's very unoriginal and poor gaming etiquette to make a copy of an existing iconic character, especially an iconic FR character who already exists in the setting you're playing in. Make an original character who wants to be like Jarlaxle, rather than trying to play the iconic character himself. Maybe your character is a young Drow or Half-Drow whose father/tutor had been a Bregan D'aerthe mercenary and told him all about the great Jarlaxle, and your character wants to be just like him, even going so far as to form your own mercenary band modeled after that one. Because seriously, the real Bregan D'aerthe isn't going to be led by a 6th level character. This also gives you the freedom to build your character how you want, instead of going with the canon single-classed Fighter.

Eldariel
2019-12-03, 12:08 PM
The closest you'll get to official stats for him in 3e are on page 161 of the Underdark supplement, where he's simply a listed as Fighter 18. Then again, all the iconic non-casters in 3e suck monkey balls so that's just a part of the trend. Definitely Rogue is much more of a class than Fighter is and he should absolutely have stonecold skills across the board. Zhentarim Fighter subs, while totally on the wrong side of the world, would probably suit him pretty well. He's definitely got good social skills and quite the combat prowess. One of his big things is being prepared for everything; I don't think it at all a bad idea to make him use He's also the epitome of the Christmas Tree Effect with a magic item to every end. Perhaps Mercantile Background and some moneymaking schemes wouldn't go amiss. And yeah, obviously lots of Charisma and Leadership. If ToB is on the table, you could certainly give him a rather solid Swordsage or Warblade setup. That would be a far more engaging version to play, I wager, since you'd have a lot more options out of the box and be less of a one-trick pony.

Tom Riddle
2019-12-03, 12:48 PM
For Jarlaxle himself, the book Underdark on page 161 says the following: Jarlaxle (NE male drow Fighter 18), leader of the mercenary band Bregan D'aerthe.

First of all, nearly every iconic character in a D&D novel has plot powers that can't really be emulated via game mechanics.

Second, it's very unoriginal and poor gaming etiquette to make a copy of an existing iconic character, especially an iconic FR character who already exists in the setting you're playing in. Make an original character who wants to be like Jarlaxle, rather than trying to play the iconic character himself. Maybe your character is a young Drow or Half-Drow whose father/tutor had been a Bregan D'aerthe mercenary and told him all about the great Jarlaxle, and your character wants to be just like him, even going so far as to form your own mercenary band modeled after that one. Because seriously, the real Bregan D'aerthe isn't going to be led by a 6th level character. This also gives you the freedom to build your character how you want, instead of going with the canon single-classed Fighter.

Sorry that's what I plan to do he is going to be human and own character and I just want to emulate him. Backstory my father was swindled out his tavern in luskan by jarlaxle and I want revenge

Quertus
2019-12-03, 01:33 PM
Second, it's very unoriginal and poor gaming etiquette to make a copy of an existing iconic character, especially an iconic FR character who already exists in the setting you're playing in.

I mean, sometimes the game is, I'm playing Elminster, you're playing black staff, somebody's playing Drizzt, and that's… fine. Usually, the GM is playing them all. Probably poorly. And that's… fine.

Sorry that's what I plan to do he is going to be human and own character and I just want to emulate him. Backstory my father was swindled out his tavern in luskan by jarlaxle and I want revenge

OK, but…

I talked to the DM and told him that I plan to make him leader of Bregan D'aerthe and he is okay with it.

How does this work, then?

Tom Riddle
2019-12-03, 01:39 PM
I mean, sometimes the game is, I'm playing Elminster, you're playing black staff, somebody's playing Drizzt, and that's… fine. Usually, the GM is playing them all. Probably poorly. And that's… fine.

OK, but…

How does this work, then?

As a character goal. Something that will be worked into the campaign. I don't mean I'm the leader at all 6

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-12-03, 01:46 PM

So what do you want your character to do, exactly? What ability scores will you be putting high stats into? What alignment? All you've provided so far is that you're a Luskan Human, and you want to steal Jarlaxle's mercenary band.

tiercel
2019-12-04, 01:05 AM
Given that Jarlaxle is a peacock, enjoys being at least at deft at wordplay as at swordplay (and has to be, given he is a renegade male of actual power in a hardcore matriarchal society), he or any build aspiring to be like him practically screams to be Daring Outlaw (Rogue/Swashbuckler with the Daring Outlaw feat) as the core of his mechanics.

Tom Riddle
2019-12-04, 08:20 AM
Given that Jarlaxle is a peacock, enjoys being at least at deft at wordplay as at swordplay (and has to be, given he is a renegade male of actual power in a hardcore matriarchal society), he or any build aspiring to be like him practically screams to be Daring Outlaw (Rogue/Swashbuckler with the Daring Outlaw feat) as the core of his mechanics.

That's what I was thinking and maybe some knowledge devotion to mimic always being prepared

Eladrinblade
2019-12-04, 10:04 AM
Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring outlaw