PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items and CR

Fiery Justice
2007-10-19, 08:25 PM
Right now I'm working on a relatively low level character (8th level Gray Elf Bard) who has inherited from his father two items that really screw with his ability:
+5 Tome of Clear Thought (Read Prior to First Level)
And Headband of Intellect +6.

So, how much is equipment worth on CR?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-19, 08:35 PM
Not much for a bard, but you're doing a gross mistake. Giving a +6 headband of intellect to the wizzo if they defeat the bard? PLEASE. Even if you don't have an INT caster, the big cash they players will get from it will unbalance things.

Fiery Justice
2007-10-19, 08:40 PM
He's not really intended for combat (as it happens) but the character brought up the general question, how much is GP worth to CR?

Plus, there are a couple of other such legacy characters with similar ability modifiers (parents can be so protective), and I'm also looking into general principle.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-19, 08:46 PM
The question is not "how much is GP important to CR?", but rather "how WELL do the GP bought items synergyze with the foe's abilities?" the tome and headband would be mostly useless for a bard, since he already has many skill points. The extra points would be useful, sure, but hardly necessary, and not TOO useful in combat.

Fiery Justice
2007-10-19, 08:50 PM
Oh... I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Tequila Sunrise
2007-10-19, 09:30 PM
Wait, this is an NPC?

Well technically if his wealth is roughly in line with the guidelines in the DMG, his CR is equal to his level. But honestly NPCs are the lowest CRs on the totem-pole so even having them read +5 tomes at birth can only help to bring mid- to high-level NPCs in line with what their power level should be for their CR.