PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rogue Subclass: Long-range Assassin

oran0007
2019-12-03, 10:02 PM
I'm wondering what people think of this subclass. I wrote it for my character in a game that will start next week. My DM likes it, except that he thought my level 13 feature wouldn't be very useful in practice so I added a couple of options.

Long-range Assassin
You focus your training on stealth and observation to be the deadliest ranged attacker on the field. These rogues will often be found scouting or spying for armies. They rarely use poisons and often hold themselves to a higher standard when deciding whether to take on a target than other assassins, although there are some who choose this path for personal gain.

Bonus Proficiencies
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with the blowgun, heavy crossbow, and longbow.

Fighting Style
At 3rd level, your extensive use of the bow has given you access to the Archery fighting style. You can't take a Fighting Style more than once, even if you later get to choose again. If you already have the Archery Fighting Style from another class, you may choose another Fighting Style from the list available to that class.

Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons

3rd level attack feature from the Assassin archetype from the PHB
snip WotC material

Dead Eye
Starting at 9th level, you have mastered the use of ranged weapons. You gain the following benefits:

Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
Before making a ranged attack, you may choose to take a -10 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, it is a critical hit.

Scout Sniper
Starting at 13th level, you have developed skills as a scout sniper. Choose one of the following options:

Informed Combat
Master of Camouflage
Measured Shot

Informed Combat (this was the original 13th level feature that my DM thinks won't be useful, the other two were additions we discussed)
Starting at 13th level, you are skilled at ambushing creatures you have observed before. If you have spent at least 5 minutes observing a creature, you have advantage on initiative rolls when that creature is your enemy. If you have spent at least 1 hour in observation, you have advantage on attack rolls against it. If you have spent at least 8 hours in observation, attack rolls of 18-20 are critical hits.

Master of Camouflage
Starting at 13th level, you have mastered the art of blending into your surroundings.
You can use your action and bonus action in a single turn to hide, giving you advantage on the check.

You gain the following benefits while hidden:

Initiative rolls are made with advantage
Creatures have disadvantage on both active and passive perception to reveal your position
Ranged attacks that you make from your hidden position can only reveal you to a creature that is within 10 feet of you
If you take the Hide action, you may attempt (with a new Dexterity (Stealth) check) to move up to half your speed and remain hidden -- you must make a new Dexterity (Stealth) check (with advantage if you use both your action and bonus action)

Measured Shot
Starting at 13th level, if you choose this feature, you can spend your action preparing for your next shot.

On your next turn, before moving, you can make one ranged attack with advantage, and can roll one of the dice again. If you have disadvantage, this cancels out the advantage as normal, but you may still choose to roll the one die again, but must use the second roll. This benefit may only be applied to the Attack action.

17th level feature from the Assassin archetype from the PHB
snip WotC material

sengmeng
2019-12-05, 10:04 AM
I think it looks fine. Balanced. Not sure why you called it "long-range assassin" instead of "sniper"; the omission is pretty conspicuous. Master of Camouflage has a lot of moving parts, but it's probably fine balance wise, just a lot to keep track of. Measured Shot may be the best of those three options. I'm not sure if I agree with your DM's reasoning on why, but I also dislike Informed Combat. My problem is it's wording doesn't limit it to one combat; the benefits last forever and are always on. It doesn't make sense that studying an opponent that way would give you that.