PDA

View Full Version : Strongest 1-8hd simulacra?

newguydude1
2019-12-04, 11:17 AM
I'm playing a warpsmith and I'm using mirror mephits so my character is gonna make 1-8hd simulacra. Which simulacra are the best?

I want a few for each hd so i can create one that's similar to the party's strength. My warpsmith can create simulacra at level 2.

I've been reading the monster manuals and it's too much so I'm asking for help.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-12-04, 11:41 AM
A Mirror Mephit can use Simulacrum at a caster level of 8th, and it can copy a creature whose HD is up to twice the caster level, or 16 HD. The simulacrum has half as many HD as what it's copied from.

Are you looking for plain monsters to copy, or things with class levels?

For a physically powerful opponent, a War Troll (MM3) Simulacrum would have 6 HD but all the typical physical stats and special attacks/qualities printed for it. Even naked making claw attacks it's going to be extremely dangerous.

A Fleshraker Dinosaur (MM3) Simulacrum would be 2 HD and still get a ton of natural attacks.

A Basilisk Simulacrum would be 3 HD, and still have the petrifying gaze attack.

A Ghostly Visage (FF) is normally 1 HD, a Simulacrum may have 1/2 HD, but it would be able to possess a character and grant them immunity to everything mind-affecting. It can manifest over the character's face to use its paralyzing gaze, and spend a standard action to force a target to save again against its gaze attack even if they're not looking. However, being incorporeal it may be difficult to get a piece of it to meet the material component requirement, but luckily the piece of the creature to be copied doesn't have a cost listed so it should be included in a standard spell component pouch.

newguydude1
2019-12-04, 11:45 AM
A Mirror Mephit can use Simulacrum at a caster level of 8th, and it can copy a creature whose HD is up to twice the caster level, or 16 HD. The simulacrum has half as many HD as what it's copied from.

I'm gonna copy advanced creatures to skip all the stat modification stuff. So if i want to make a copy of a 8hd creature, I'm gonna copy a 16hd version of that creature so that when it's halved it drops to the normal 8hd.

Are you looking for plain monsters to copy, or things with class levels?

Plain monsters. Class levels hurt my head and spellcaster levels are too good. I just want a daemon engine. I'm gonna purposefully fail the disguise check to make it look nothing like the original and more daemon engine like.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-12-04, 12:56 PM
It just occurred to me that a Mirror Mephit gets Simulacrum as a spell-like ability, so there's not even any material component or xp cost. So incorporeal creatures should be fine.

A Monstrous Crab (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) is widely regarded as one of the most dangerous opponents for its CR, a simulacrum should be absurdly powerful still.

Templates that don't affect HD can get a bit absurd. Like a Shadow with Evolved Undead applied 100 times, or a Paragon (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) version of a given creature, or a monster with Half-Dragon applied once for every dragon variety (about 50 total). A Half-Goristro (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) is also pretty strong, considering it grants a size increase (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) if the base creature is large or smaller.

newguydude1
2019-12-04, 01:17 PM
Didn't stormwrack nerf the crab?

I'm just gonna use normal out of the box monsters, no templates or class levels because templates hurt my head just the same and are too good.

Fleshraker and Basilisk are great. I've read Rejkar and Ravids are too good. Ghosts might be too good.

unseenmage
2019-12-05, 03:17 PM
My personal fav thing with Mirror Mephits is to bury the enemy in even more Mirror Mephits.

noob
2019-12-05, 03:22 PM
My personal fav thing with Mirror Mephits is to bury the enemy in even more Mirror Mephits.

I agree the best choice is to make more mirror mephits until there is more mirror mephits than atoms in the universe.

unseenmage
2019-12-05, 03:37 PM
I agree the best choice is to make more mirror mephits until there is more mirror mephits than atoms in the universe.

Nah, the best choice is to make Simulacrum of epic Intelligent Magic Items because they're Constructs with zero HD. Make it a custom magic item too because why not.

But dont do that. Not even the most TO of any TO game ever let's you do that. And I know, I played in that game.

Also, theres nothing stopping one from making Simulacrum of other Simulacrum.. Meanjng those HD limits arent as much a barrier as they could be.
(As a spell with an Instantaneous duration Simulacrum makes a real creature the same way Wall of Stone makes real stone.)
Edit: Dont do this either.

Quertus
2019-12-05, 04:11 PM
Nah, the best choice is to make Simulacrum of epic Intelligent Magic Items because they're Constructs with zero HD. Make it a custom magic item too because why not.

But dont do that. Not even the most TO of any TO game ever let's you do that. And I know, I played in that game.

Also, theres nothing stopping one from making Simulacrum of other Simulacrum.. Meanjng those HD limits arent as much a barrier as they could be.
(As a spell with an Instantaneous duration Simulacrum makes a real creature the same way Wall of Stone makes real stone.)
Edit: Dont do this either.

Wait Wait Wait - make a Simulacrum… of a Simulacrum? So, a Simulacrum of a Simulacrum of a Simulacrum… of a deity?

Or, heck, just go straight for a Simulacrum of Pun-Pun. He's got few enough HD that it should work (before he decides it doesn't, at any rate).

A mean, I know that most of my use of Simulacrum has been by Quertus, who is the definition of suboptimal, but I never realized just how far from optimal my usage of the spell has been.

unseenmage
2019-12-05, 05:07 PM
Wait Wait Wait - make a Simulacrum… of a Simulacrum? So, a Simulacrum of a Simulacrum of a Simulacrum… of a deity?

Or, heck, just go straight for a Simulacrum of Pun-Pun. He's got few enough HD that it should work (before he decides it doesn't, at any rate).

A mean, I know that most of my use of Simulacrum has been by Quertus, who is the definition of suboptimal, but I never realized just how far from optimal my usage of the spell has been.

Yeah. Sim is.. Not the most balanced spell.

As written you get an exact duplicate. This should include knowledge and memories.
Does this include memory alteration from Mindrape?

Sim the BBEG, have the Sim spoil the nefarious plans of the original.

Ice Assassins of Ice Assassins is a known method to get around their drawback.

PF made it all worse with the introduction of the Lesser Simulacrum spell.
All the potency of Sim, with the added sanity damage of creating a very real, very sentient duplicate of a person, who only lasts like 10 mins per CL.
On the upside theres not much way for them to know they're going to shortly cease to be unless you tell them.

Endarire
2019-12-07, 05:07 AM
+1 to template stacking if you want more power for your HD.

Also, Noble Djinn.