PDA

View Full Version : Building a Pokemon master in 5e

moonfly7
2019-12-04, 05:58 PM
I've been thinking about this awhile, and since I'm currently in a pretty high mortality rate campaign(where I'm concerned anyways) I've decided to try and make this as one of my (numerous) back up characters. The DMs approved both the concept and the UA content, so what I need is for help figuring out if I have the most efficient and effective build I can get for a pokemon trainer in 5e.
Note, the campaign is currently level 8, but we level up once every session, or every couple sessions.
Here's my current build:
3 levels artificer for iron defender(steelix) and homunculus infusion(probably either a bug type or espeon), as well as a pot of awakening infusion(treant/phantomp).
2 levels druid for the UA wild fire subclass and it's ability to summon a small fire elemental (charmander)
3 levels ranger for animal companion, DM is using the UA alternate ranger features, so I can either take beast of earth (golem) or beast of air (aerodactyl) and I can't decide which
My current plan is to be a variant human so I can take ritual caster for find familiar (pickachu) so I can have 6 "pokemon" however I would like to find a way to maintain the 6 pokemon while switching to a mark of handling. I would also like to try and go at least 2 levels warlock for pact of the chain.
So, am I good? Or is there another way to create a team of 6 pokemon at a higher usefulness or power level than I currently have? Keep in mind I'd gladly trade out the familiar and the awakened shrub for better minions.

Squark
2019-12-04, 06:05 PM
Building Character over on YouTube had their own take on the matter; a hallmark of the build was casting touch spells through your familliar to make it seem more like your pokemon was the one doing the work, so I might consider adding pact of the chain warlock if you can. If not, ritual caster (wizard or sorcerer) at least gets you a rattata/pidgey, or another regional bird/rodent.

moonfly7
2019-12-04, 06:07 PM
Building Character over on YouTube had their own take on the matter; a hallmark of the build was casting touch spells through your familliar to make it seem more like your pokemon was the one doing the work, so I might consider adding pact of the chain warlock if you can. If not, ritual caster (wizard or sorcerer) at least gets you a rattata/pidgey, or another regional bird/rodent.

I do plan on casting through both my familiar AND my homunculus, that's a big part of this build to me.

Callin
2019-12-04, 06:07 PM
You do understand that the low levels of these classes are going to mean your pokemon are going to be low level as well. Honestly I would pick 2 and work on those. Artificer or BM Ranger or Druid is fine for 1. Then Find Familiar for the second.

With Druid and summoning you could theoretically have more. Do Shepered Druid and flavor your Spirit Totem as more Pokemon. Hell being able to talk to them is also thematic.

So thats my final suggestion, Shepered Druid with FF and the Pet Alternate Class Feature.

Dork_Forge
2019-12-04, 06:17 PM
Not bad! But we can go further, stronger, more pokemons.

First you need to be 6 in Artificer to get the Homunculus. But if UA is allowed you should look at pact of the Raven Queen for the Raven and then push to 3rd for the improved familiar. You'll need to pick up the flock of familiars and a Steed spell from somewhere too...

I guess Artificer 6, warlock 3, Ranger 3, Druid 2 and Paladin 5. Though this could use level refinement for ASIs and is just off the top of my head.

moonfly7
2019-12-04, 06:39 PM
You do understand that the low levels of these classes are going to mean your pokemon are going to be low level as well. Honestly I would pick 2 and work on those. Artificer or BM Ranger or Druid is fine for 1. Then Find Familiar for the second.

With Druid and summoning you could theoretically have more. Do Shepered Druid and flavor your Spirit Totem as more Pokemon. Hell being able to talk to them is also thematic.

So thats my final suggestion, Shepered Druid with FF and the Pet Alternate Class Feature.
I considered that, but I'd like to have 6 pokemon total even if they are weaker over 2 or 3 really strong ones. That said, I definitly want more summoning spell suggestions, and I would love anything that boosts my pokemon power while maintain at least 6.
Also, at the very least the druids fire elemental and the homunculus get benefits directly related to my proficiency bonus, and I think the others might too? Although I'm almost positive beast master doesn't. Bottom line, I've found that sheer force of numbers, even weaker numbers, tends to overwhelm foes via the action economy, and even though most of these use my bonus action, attacking one is leaving assault from the others very open.

Not bad! But we can go further, stronger, more pokemons.

First you need to be 6 in Artificer to get the Homunculus. But if UA is allowed you should look at pact of the Raven Queen for the Raven and then push to 3rd for the improved familiar. You'll need to pick up the flock of familiars and a Steed spell from somewhere too...

I guess Artificer 6, warlock 3, Ranger 3, Druid 2 and Paladin 5. Though this could use level refinement for ASIs and is just off the top of my head.
Ok, love it. I didn't even think about find steed, which would be great for rapidash. I am totally however trying to take flock of familiars(I think rangers get it) that said, there has to be a better way to get find steed than dumping 5 levels into paladin for no other benefit, maybe using that bard subclass that steals spells? Or maybe a a cleric subclass has it?
Also, love the warlock idea, my DM loves that subclass actually, it's actually approved already, I just didn't remember it.

Dork_Forge
2019-12-04, 06:48 PM
I considered that, but I'd like to have 6 pokemon total even if they are weaker over 2 or 3 really strong ones. That said, I definitly want more summoning spell suggestions, and I would love anything that boosts my pokemon power while maintain at least 6.
Also, at the very least the druids fire elemental and the homunculus get benefits directly related to my proficiency bonus, and I think the others might too? Although I'm almost positive beast master doesn't. Bottom line, I've found that sheer force of numbers, even weaker numbers, tends to overwhelm foes via the action economy, and even though most of these use my bonus action, attacking one is leaving assault from the others very open.

Ok, love it. I didn't even think about find steed, which would be great for rapidash. I am totally however trying to take flock of familiars(I think rangers get it) that said, there has to be a better way to get find steed than dumping 5 levels into paladin for no other benefit, maybe using that bard subclass that steals spells? Or maybe a a cleric subclass has it?
Also, love the warlock idea, my DM loves that subclass actually, it's actually approved already, I just didn't remember it.
I'm not sure if Warlocks get FoF, but I'm AFB at the moment. You could go 6 deep in lore Bard to use magical secrets and nab it, but it requires one more level investment than Paladin (though if you can't get FoF from Warlock or Ranger then Lore Bard solves that problem too).

It's nothing but a damn shame that trash Hexblade got published but the Raven Queen didn't, it was a fun non power gamey option.

Callin
2019-12-04, 06:54 PM
If you count the 3 different forms of spirit totem, Familiar, and Fire Elemental thats 5, summons puts you at 6 or more. Out of combat for flavor you can have all of them out and around as long as you dont use them for interaction stuff. Buy a horse for Rapidash, a dog and reflavor to something, Animal Friendship is also PERFECT, if ya treat your pets well and they live, the DM could have them fail or take a penalty to their future saves.

If that still dont tickle your fancy and you want 6 Static Pokemon. Art 6 gives 2, S Druid 3 gives 2, Raven Warlock 3 gives 2. Thats your 6. Thats 12 levels. 3 more into Druid for better summons and more spell slots along with upcast Animal Friendship gives more. 5 levels left to sprinkle where ya want.

moonfly7
2019-12-04, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure if Warlocks get FoF, but I'm AFB at the moment. You could go 6 deep in lore Bard to use magical secrets and nab it, but it requires one more level investment than Paladin (though if you can't get FoF from Warlock or Ranger then Lore Bard solves that problem too).

It's nothing but a damn shame that trash Hexblade got published but the Raven Queen didn't, it was a fun non power gamey option.
Ok, warlocks can actually cast flock of familiars, so that's covered. And if I can't find a better way to spend 5 levels, paladin for steed sounds great, but it honestly feels like that if that's all I'm getting I'm better off just putting those 5 levels in existing classes to buff my Mon.
Also totally agree about raven queen man. Luckily my DM loves the raven queen and everything about her, so it didn't affect my tables that much.

If you count the 3 different forms of spirit totem, Familiar, and Fire Elemental thats 5, summons puts you at 6 or more. Out of combat for flavor you can have all of them out and around as long as you dont use them for interaction stuff. Buy a horse for Rapidash, a dog and reflavor to something, Animal Friendship is also PERFECT, if ya treat your pets well and they live, the DM could have them fail or take a penalty to their future saves.

If that still dont tickle your fancy and you want 6 Static Pokemon. Art 6 gives 2, S Druid 3 gives 2, Raven Warlock 3 gives 2. Thats your 6. Thats 12 levels. 3 more into Druid for better summons and more spell slots along with upcast Animal Friendship gives more. 5 levels left to sprinkle where ya want.
It wouldn't really feel the same to reflavor the totems, and reflavoring random pets is even worse in my mind. I do plan on carrying a beefy animal handling check to sway cool monsters to my side though, and I might take prodigy for that purpose. As for 2 summons from druid, my DM would count the Druid wild shape thing as another familiar, meaning I can't keep the familiar from find familiar and it at the same time. Plus, I don't want to lose ranger from the build. If personally drop druid altogether if it didn't have the wildfire subclass, although the summon a are definitley nice.