Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Warmage 1, Bard 2, Wu Jen 2, Duskblade 2,
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 free action
Range: Personal
Targets: Self
Duration: 10 minutes per level
Saving Throw: N/A
Spell Resistance: N/A

As many as ten daggers you touch are absorbed into your skin, and your eyes take on a steely sheen. For the duration of this spell, you gain a Gaze attack, which deals either 1d6 or 2d6 points of damage. You can use this Gaze attack no more than the number of daggers you absorbed per casting, and each use is considered to expend a dagger. 1d6 uses one eye and one dagger, and 2d6 uses 2 eyes and 2 daggers. Daggers expended in this way are not returned to the user, while unused daggers reemerge from the users skin at the end of the spell. To an outside viewer, it appears as if the knives fly from your eyes.

Material Components: up to ten daggers, which are absorbed upon use of the spell.

DanielLC
2007-10-19, 09:09 PM
It looks to me like the daggers should be a material component.

Dorizzit
2007-10-19, 09:10 PM
Good point.

Dhavaer
2007-10-19, 09:16 PM
I agree, the dagger should be listed as a component, not a target. The Range should be Personal and the Target should be Self. The range of the gaze attack also needs to be specified.

I think it might be underpowered. Despite the casting time, which is a little bizarre, it doesn't do a lot of damage and it costs money to cast. 20gp for 10d4 damage isn't really worth it.

Dorizzit
2007-10-19, 09:22 PM
Thank you both for your advice. I don't usually homebrew things, so I don't really know whether I'm making my creations under or over powered.

Landy
2007-10-19, 10:22 PM
You could make the daggers focuses instead, but have some kind of ritual done with them.

Deepblue706
2007-10-19, 10:27 PM
This was inspired by 8-bit, wasn't it.

DracoDei
2007-10-19, 11:20 PM
Should this be Sor/Wiz or are Wizards not able to cast it?
Maybe and primary casting stat to the damage from each dagger if you want to keep the level the same?

Waspinator
2007-10-20, 02:07 AM
You could make the daggers focuses instead, but have some kind of ritual done with them.

Maybe make it so you have to prepare one special dagger that you can then shoot out of your eyes and have it return to you over and over again?

TheOOB
2007-10-20, 02:34 AM
Its cool, but a little weak at third level, I would probally make it second, compared to scorching ray it's damage is a little low.

Dorizzit
2007-10-20, 06:24 AM
Seems about right.

Maryring
2007-10-21, 02:21 PM
What's the reason for the very long casting time?

Is it intentional that Wizards can't use this spell?

Any reason Bards don't have it?

And overall, it seems a little weak. Spellcasters have better things to do with their actions than dealing 2d4 points of damage.

You should also change the daggers to "focus" seeing as they aren't used up.

Voodzik
2007-10-22, 10:28 AM
Meh, the casting time is OK....make it 1d6 damage per dagger (call it momentum) and I'd say you have a winner here....oh, and make it available to bards maytbe :-D?

(Voodzik's Rogue/Bard does a little dance...)