PDA

View Full Version : Lore Bard magical secrets question

moonfly7
2019-12-04, 06:48 PM
This question applies to both the lore feature, and the main class feature that dies the same thing.
The features exact words about choosing spells read: "a spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the bard table, or a cantrip"
It's pretty obvious what the rules are here, but Here's my question: what happens if I've multi classed into enough different spell casting classes that I have higher spell slots than I have spells?
According to the spellcasting multiclassing rules, the special table at the back of the book replaces your normal casting table(s). So, if I have magical secrets, and I have say, access to a 5th level slot, can I take a 5th level spell using magical secrets? Or does the words "as shown in the spells known column of the bard table" mean that I can't? Or is this a specific beats general scenario where the multiclass table replaces my normal spells, so that line is now moot?

JackPhoenix
2019-12-04, 06:57 PM
Multiclass rules specifically say "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."

In addition, Magical Secrets specifically refers to bard table to determine if you can learn the spell of a certain level.

Aaron Underhand
2019-12-04, 06:57 PM
This question applies to both the lore feature, and the main class feature that dies the same thing.
The features exact words about choosing spells read: "a spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the bard table, or a cantrip"
It's pretty obvious what the rules are here, but Here's my question: what happens if I've multi classed into enough different spell casting classes that I have higher spell slots than I have spells?
According to the spellcasting multiclassing rules, the special table at the back of the book replaces your normal casting table(s). So, if I have magical secrets, and I have say, access to a 5th level slot, can I take a 5th level spell using magical secrets? Or does the words "as shown in the spells known column of the bard table" mean that I can't? Or is this a specific beats general scenario where the multiclass table replaces my normal spells, so that line is now moot?

A level you can cast... that means a level you can cast AS A BARD. If you are Bard 6 sorcerer 14 that means a 3rd level spell.

Note: with lore bard the 6th level spells don't count against spells known. The spells taken at other levels all do.

moonfly7
2019-12-04, 07:09 PM
Multiclass rules specifically say "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."

In addition, Magical Secrets specifically refers to bard table to determine if you can learn the spell of a certain level.

A level you can cast... that means a level you can cast AS A BARD. If you are Bard 6 sorcerer 14 that means a 3rd level spell.

Note: with lore bard the 6th level spells don't count against spells known. The spells taken at other levels all do.

K. That's what I was thinking too, but I wanted a second opinion. The rules sometimes seem clear in DnD but aren't what they look like, so I wanted to be sure.