PDA

View Full Version : Spellbook of choice

Desteplo
2019-12-04, 11:18 PM
When you carry a book.. loading up the spells is exciting. You pick one, until you’ve chosen a dozen. And realize you can only have 6... so you bring that down. Few levels go by and you pick those you passed up

What are some general tips and things to keep in mind when picking your spells for the day?

Theres the obvious “per pillar” style:
-combat vs exploration vs social (though I’ve seen my fair share of lists of pure fire spells.. can I see alarm maybe? Maybe a charm spell?)

What are other things you consider when picking your spells for the day

Chronic
2019-12-04, 11:26 PM
I would add that many of my spells are chosen with the idea of either improving the strong points of my party or protecting their weak points. And this apply to both the mechanical side of things and the rp side (when the heavy armored brutes in your party try to sneak around constantly, you prepare pass without a trace... A lot...).

intregus
2019-12-05, 12:08 AM
I'm the type of player that only picks spells that fit my character background or theme.

So my methodology is pick the spells that help you RP the best.

Theodoxus
2019-12-05, 12:11 AM
The two times I've played wizard, I went mostly rituals. I used cantrips for attacking, and had a few controller type leveled spells. I played them as scholar adventurers, and both times dipped into Knowledge cleric for the armor, healing and expertise (guidance wasn't bad either).

NecessaryWeevil
2019-12-05, 02:01 AM
Spells targeting different saves.
Not too many concentration spells: "What do I expect to be concentrating on most often? What will I be doing with my action while I'm concentrating?"
Maybe a 'panic button' spell (something that has few components, and can get you out of a bad situation).

Anderlith
2019-12-05, 07:51 AM
I always bring two spells to end an encounter, one for hordes (Sleep/Fireball) one as a single target save or suck or nuke (Disintegrate)

I always bring at least one form of movement, but usually two (Spiderclimb/Fly)

I always prep Shield & Magic Missile

Then I sprinkle in buffs & protections & utility as needed