PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a feat, please

Erik the Green
2019-12-05, 02:57 AM
So, I am trying to find a 3.5 or PF1 feat that I remember as being something like: If you fly by means of wings of any sort, you can hide them, absorb them, or tuck them away so that they aren't visible unless you're naked or maybe even unless UR given an actual physical exam. It might be a monster feat, but Savage Species came up blank. I've looked at the Wizard's archives as best as I could, and also that site by a guy named Marvin who might or might not be in PA, as well as the place where you can get help with your Realms. On the Pathfinder side, I've looked at Archives of Nethys and the 1st Ed. SRD. I don't think it's from D&D Wiki, and I really just want it for some cool fluff maybe, but I'm really bugged by not remembering it. Any assistance would bring good gaming karma :smallwink:
Thanks in advance, E

TheCount
2019-12-05, 04:35 AM
I know a template for it, but it's NPC only sadly....
Anyway, it's called aberrant limb, and can be applied to any type of extremities from what I remember.
It should be in one of the DMG but I'm away from books.
There is also the swift wing PRC that gives dismissible dragon wings at lvl 5 as a SU ability.
If there are other ways to do it I would like to hear about them

Gauntlet
2019-12-05, 05:55 AM
A Hat of Disguise is probably the easiest way around this.

Hellpyre
2019-12-05, 09:02 PM
So, I am trying to find a 3.5 or PF1 feat that I remember as being something like: If you fly by means of wings of any sort, you can hide them, absorb them, or tuck them away so that they aren't visible unless you're naked or maybe even unless UR given an actual physical exam. It might be a monster feat, but Savage Species came up blank. I've looked at the Wizard's archives as best as I could, and also that site by a guy named Marvin who might or might not be in PA, as well as the place where you can get help with your Realms. On the Pathfinder side, I've looked at Archives of Nethys and the 1st Ed. SRD. I don't think it's from D&D Wiki, and I really just want it for some cool fluff maybe, but I'm really bugged by not remembering it. Any assistance would bring good gaming karma :smallwink:
Thanks in advance, E

I'll be honest, I just checked D&D wiki since you brought it up, and it appears to in fact be a homebrew feat on there.

Hiro Quester
2019-12-05, 10:11 PM
Seconding Hat of Disguise. You have better things to do with a feat.

TinyMushroom
2019-12-06, 01:02 PM
Why does the character have wings? Are they from a specific race, template or some magical effect? That sorta stuff matters a lot in narrowing it down :p

Vrock Bait
2019-12-06, 10:55 PM
Maybe from Races of the Wild? That book has all the crazy winged elves and cat furries and whatnot. Now that I think about it, the Races supplements were mostly furries or Core races with one difference.

Remuko
2019-12-07, 01:15 AM
I'll be honest, I just checked D&D wiki since you brought it up, and it appears to in fact be a homebrew feat on there.

in case people missed, the problem seems to have been solved already.

Erik the Green
2019-12-07, 04:07 AM
In order:

The Count-Thanks, I should look into the swift wing PRC. Is that Races of the Wild or which?

Hellpyre-Right, Hidden Wing, a spelltouched feat of all things. That'll teach me to take better notes. Thanks.

TinyMushroom-From a template, but he/I would like to be able to hide the implications of big fluffy white and silver Celestial wings, especially when undercover in the bad guy bar & so forth.

Gauntlet, Hiro-Read the OP much? 'Cause I've never heard of a Hat of Disguise before.

Remulko-Yes, thank you. It was on the 4th page of the D&D Wiki's compiled non-Epic feats and I apparently didn't already know the exact name when I did a quick search before trying this post.

Librarian protip, BTW, many if not most searches care about plural vs singular eg. wings vs wing and won't tell you that or tell you about similar results to your exact search string (a deluxe feature that costs extra, it would seem)

Khedrac
2019-12-07, 04:24 AM
The Count-Thanks, I should look into the swift wing PRC. Is that Races of the Wild or which?
Dragon Magic.

Duke of Urrel
2019-12-07, 10:22 AM
There is a feat called Celestial Sorcerer Wings. This feat is a supernatural ability that enables you to "spawn a pair of spectral, magical wings that glow with majestic power," and you can fly with them. You have to expend a spell slot to activate this ability, and the wings last only for as many rounds as the level of the spell slot you expended.

In order to take this feat, you have to be a sorcerer, and you have to take the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feat as a prerequisite. These feats are discussed on pages 90 and 91 of the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK II v. 3.5 (2006).

Erik the Green
2019-12-07, 03:45 PM
There is a feat called Celestial Sorcerer Wings. This feat is a supernatural ability that enables you to "spawn a pair of spectral, magical wings that glow with majestic power," and you can fly with them. You have to expend a spell slot to activate this ability, and the wings last only for as many rounds as the level of the spell slot you expended.

In order to take this feat, you have to be a sorcerer, and you have to take the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feat as a prerequisite. These feats are discussed on pages 90 and 91 of the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK II v. 3.5 (2006).

Duke, thanks. That is in the vicinity of the effect I was looking for, but it costs too much for too short a duration. In PF similar class abilities at least give you a minute per. :)
OTOH, as an SU effect it is a decent emergency measure barring an AMF being in play. Could be nice for a Pal/Sor gestalt that mainly fronts as a paladin, using their magic for support.
Eg. "Ha, ha, you silly running around on bended knees English ka-nig-it I mean paladin, now you will fall to your doom in my pit of really aggravated weasels."
"Well, actually, those aren't my _only_ wings of flying." Whoosh, boot to the head...

Hellpyre
2019-12-07, 03:58 PM
Duke, thanks. That is in the vicinity of the effect I was looking for, but it costs too much for too short a duration. In PF similar class abilities at least give you a minute per. :)
OTOH, as an SU effect it is a decent emergency measure barring an AMF being in play. Could be nice for a Pal/Sor gestalt that mainly fronts as a paladin, using their magic for support.
Eg. "Ha, ha, you silly running around on bended knees English ka-nig-it I mean paladin, now you will fall to your doom in my pit of really aggravated weasels."
"Well, actually, those aren't my _only_ wings of flying." Whoosh, boot to the head...

If you're happy with effects like that, I recommend either Animal Devotion, and fueling it as any other devotion feat, or getting access to the Pegasus Cloak soulmeld. There aren't physical wings, but they're there when you need them.

Rijan_Sai
2019-12-07, 06:25 PM
Gauntlet, Hiro-Read the OP much? 'Cause I've never heard of a Hat of Disguise before.
Just for the record, Hat of Disguise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#hatofDisguise) is one of the most basic items from the DMG/SRD.

Erik the Green
2019-12-07, 11:32 PM
If you're happy with effects like that, I recommend either Animal Devotion, and fueling it as any other devotion feat, or getting access to the Pegasus Cloak soulmeld. There aren't physical wings, but they're there when you need them.

Ooh, not big on Incarnum and that whole big blue can of worms, but Animal Devotion is a cool suggestion.

Crake
2019-12-08, 02:20 AM
To people suggesting using hat of disguise to hide wings, let me remind you Disguise Self says this very key statement: "You cannot change your body type." So you can't make your wings disappear with a hat of disguise, you can only change them to look like something else.

Rijan_Sai
2019-12-08, 01:16 PM
To people suggesting using hat of disguise to hide wings, let me remind you Disguise Self says this very key statement: "You cannot change your body type." So you can't make your wings disappear with a hat of disguise, you can only change them to look like something else.

You could add or obscure a minor feature...
So a case could be made that if you kept your wings close to your body, (think Goliath from Gargoyles,) you could disguise them as a cloak or similar.

Erik the Green
2019-12-09, 02:44 AM

Just so. In addition to wasting the Head slot if you wish to wear a +Int or +Cha item, and falling down in the face of True Seeing (but what doesn't, eh?), a Hat of Disguise would fail vs the first minimally competent security patdown. Unless you tried to Bluff, "yes, that's my big fluffy cloak that I never take off because I accidentally Sovereign-Glued it to myself."

Crake
2019-12-09, 02:57 AM
So a case could be made that if you kept your wings close to your body, (think Goliath from Gargoyles,) you could disguise them as a cloak or similar.

I would hardly call wings a "minor feature". Minor feature you could say like, the little nubby horns a tiefling might have, or a wart, or the number of fingers on your hand perhaps. Definitely not wings though.